Angular speed of a falling rod

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a problem involving a falling rod and a table, where the solution equates initial potential energy to final potential and kinetic energy to obtain the angular velocity of the rod. The speaker raises a question about why their own method does not work, which involves using the suvat equations and assuming the center of mass descends in a straight line with constant velocity. The expert summarizes that this is incorrect because the acceleration is not constant and the center of mass does not descend in a straight line due to rotation. The expert also mentions the possibility of the rod losing contact with the table. The conversation then delves into the role of the normal force in generating torque and increasing angular momentum. The expert explains that the normal
dyn
Homework Statement
A thin uniform rod of length 2a and mass m stands vertically on a frictionless horizontal table. The rod is slightly disturbed and falls down. What is its angular speed when it hits the table ?
Relevant Equations
Conservation of mechanical energy , PE = mgh , KE = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2) Iw^2
I have seen the solution and understand it. The solution defines θ to be the angle between the falling rod and the table. It then equates initial PE to the final (PE+KE) where the final PE=0 and the final KE to be (1/2) Iω2+ (1/2) ma2ω2 to finally obtain ω = √(3g/2a)

But i would like to know why method doesn't work. I took the Centre of Mass (CM) to only be acted upon by gravity so it descends in a straight line with constant velocity g , using "suvat" equations , first gives the time of descent as t = √(2a/g) which means the linear velocity of the CM when it hits is √(2ag). This gives a final linear KE which cancels with the initial PE and so gives ω=0 which is obviously wrong. What is wrong with my reasoning ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The suvat equations are not applicable because the acceleration is not constant. The center of mass is not in free fall because it rotates about one end. It does not descend in a straight line. Just do the experiment with a pencil and see for yourself.

The linear acceleration with which the Centre of Mass (CM) moves downwards must be less than g, because it is limited by the surface of the table and the angular inertia of the rod.
In other words, some of the potential energy that the rod had when in the vertical position had to be used in rotating the rod from vertical to horizontal before its side hit the table.

kuruman said:
The suvat equations are not applicable because the acceleration is not constant. The center of mass is not in free fall because it rotates about one end. It does not descend in a straight line. Just do the experiment with a pencil and see for yourself.
The solution actually states that the CM descends in a straight line. The table is frictionless in this case so the rod just slides along it. I though motion could be thought of as the sum of the translation of the CM plus rotation about the CM. Is it because the normal reaction of the table acts against g thus reducing it ?

dyn said:
The solution actually states that the CM descends in a straight line. The table is frictionless in this case so the rod just slides along it. I though motion could be thought of as the sum of the translation of the CM plus rotation about the CM. Is it because the normal reaction of the table acts against g thus reducing it ?
OK, I thought the rod was pivoted. Because all the forces are vertical, there is no horizontal acceleration of the center of mass. Nevertheless the acceleration of the CM is not ##g## because of the normal force. It would be ##g## if the table were not there.

One thing that tends to get overlooked in such questions is the possibility that the rod loses contact with the table. In the specific case of this question, it does not, but I see no trivial proof.

Thanks for your replies. After thinking about this question the following questions have arisen in my mind

1 - As the table is frictionless , the rod just slides along it , so the normal force does no work. But this normal force is the force causing a torque and the angular momentum to increase. Is that right ?

2 - A different situation here ; a thin uniform rod has a frictionless pivot at its centre and rotates in a vertical plane. There are 2 forces acting ; gravity and the normal force but they both act at the CM and thus cause no torque resulting in a constant angular momentum about the pivot at all points in the vertical rotation. Is that right ?

3 - if the pivot is not frictionless there will still be no torque implying constant angular momentum. But friction should cause loss of energy resulting in angular momentum decreasing. How is this resolved ?

Thanks

1. Angular momentum and torque about what point? For example, the angular momentum and torque about the point directly below the CM is zero. Yes, about the point directly below the CM the normal force results in a torque that increases the angular momentum about the CM but not the angular momentum of the CM.

2. It is right.

3. If the rod is just sitting there without spinning, no resolution is necessary. If you get it spinning with some initial angular speed, there will be a frictional torque at the pivot that will eventually reduce the angular momentum to zero. This is the rotational equivalent of a block on a rough floor. You leave it alone, it stays where it is. You give it a push, it slides across the floor until it stops.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
angular momentum and torque about the point directly below the CM is zero.
The normal force would have a torque about that point, surely?

dyn said:
As the table is frictionless , the rod just slides along it , so the normal force does no work. But this normal force is the force causing a torque and the angular momentum to increase. Is that right ?
Yes, if you mean torque about the CM, or any point in a vertical line through it. Taking an instantaneous point of contact as the axis, the normal force has no torque about it, but mg does instead.
It is analogous to a wheel rolling down a ramp. The static friction does no work, but it does divert some of the lost GPE into rotational KE instead of linear KE.

haruspex said:
So the normal force produces a torque even though it does no work ?

kuruman said:
3. If the rod is just sitting there without spinning, no resolution is necessary. If you get it spinning with some initial angular speed, there will be a frictional torque at the pivot that will eventually reduce the angular momentum to zero. This is the rotational equivalent of a block on a rough floor. You leave it alone, it stays where it is. You give it a push, it slides across the floor until it stops.
For the rod spinning about its CM the normal force and weight produce no torque. But the frictional force at the pivot also produces no torque. So zero torque equates to constant angular momentum about the CM. How is this compatible with energy dissipation leading to decreasing angular momentum ? One statement gives constant ang. mom. , the other one leads to decreasing ang. mom ?

haruspex said:
Surely it would. I was thinking of something else at the time. I fixed the post and thanks for the heads up.
dyn said:
For the rod spinning about its CM the normal force and weight produce no torque.
Yes.
dyn said:
But the frictional force at the pivot also produces no torque.
Why not? The force of friction acts tangentially at some radius from the axis of rotation.

kuruman said:
Why not? The force of friction acts tangentially at some radius from the axis of rotation.
Wouldn't the frictional force just act at the pivot , located at the CM ?

dyn said:
Wouldn't the frictional force just act at the pivot , located at the CM ?
I would guess @kuruman's model is that the rod is mounted on an axle of some small radius r. Although we would commonly just think of the friction as applying an axial torque, in reality it consists of a tangential force at the surface of the axle.
An important consequence is that the magnitude of the frictional torque is proportional to the axle load. Another is that the greater the radius the greater the torque.

haruspex said:
I would guess @kuruman's model is that the rod is mounted on an axle of some small radius r. Although we would commonly just think of the friction as applying an axial torque, in reality it consists of a tangential force at the surface of the axle.
An important consequence is that the magnitude of the frictional torque is proportional to the axle load. Another is that the greater the radius the greater the torque.
That is my model. I cannot imagine a "point" pivot. The axle must have a non-zero radius and the force of friction acts tangentially at all points on the circumference. A mathematical point cannot rotate about itself because it has no extent.

Likes dyn
dyn said:
So the normal force produces a torque even though it does no work ?
Thanks for all your replies. It's making more sense to me now. My last question is the one above ; in the case of the rod sliding on the frictionless table ; the normal force produces a torque but it does no work. Is that correct ?

dyn said:
Thanks for all your replies. It's making more sense to me now. My last question is the one above ; in the case of the rod sliding on the frictionless table ; the normal force produces a torque but it does no work. Is that correct ?
Right. The point of contact of the rod does not move vertically, so the normal does no work.

Likes dyn
dyn said:
Thanks for your replies. After thinking about this question the following questions have arisen in my mind

1 - As the table is frictionless , the rod just slides along it , so the normal force does no work. But this normal force is the force causing a torque and the angular momentum to increase. Is that right ?
You are welcome. :smile:

Please, note that the normal force is just the reaction of the weight.
The lack of alignment of those parallel forces induces a moment which magnitude increases as the distance between those forces becomes greater.
Because of that, the rod is forced to rotate faster and faster (its angular acceleration can't be constant as moment increases with time) from vertical to horizontal positions.

Likes dyn

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed measures the rate of change of an object's angular position, while linear speed measures the rate of change of an object's linear position. In other words, angular speed is how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed is how fast an object is moving in a straight line.

3. How is angular speed of a falling rod calculated?

The angular speed of a falling rod can be calculated by dividing its angular displacement by the time it takes to fall. Angular displacement is the change in the rod's angular position, and time is measured in seconds.

4. Does the length of the rod affect its angular speed when falling?

Yes, the length of the rod does affect its angular speed when falling. A longer rod will have a greater angular speed than a shorter rod, assuming they both have the same angular displacement and fall for the same amount of time.

5. How does air resistance affect the angular speed of a falling rod?

Air resistance can affect the angular speed of a falling rod by slowing down its rotation. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts against the direction of motion, causing the rod to lose some of its kinetic energy and thus rotate at a slower speed.