Basketball (Energy and its Conservation?)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the speed of a basketball at the top of its arc after being shot by a player. The approach of using energy conservation and the equation V(final)^2 = V(initial)^2 + 2a(d) is mentioned, along with the reminder that projectile motion requires considering separate components of velocity. However, the correct solution is found using the equation Hmax = (u2(sinθ)2)/2g and finding the y component of the velocity. This is then combined with the x component of the initial velocity to determine the speed at the top of the ball's arc.
Chilling

Homework Statement

A basketball player shoots a 3-point shot. The 0.625 kg ball leaves the player's hands with a speed of 9m/s. It rises 2.4m before descending towards the basket. at the top of the ball's arc, what is its speed

Homework Equations

Im at a chapter named Energy and its conservation so I am guessing i have to use these
PE=mgh
E= KE + PE
KE(before)+PE(before)=KE(after)+PE(after)

The Attempt at a Solution

I also tried some other equations such as
Velocity(final)^2= V(initial)^2 + 2a(d)
V(f)= 9^2 + 2(9.8(don't know if it would be gravity))(2.4)
(Please try to fix any wrong ideas that i have in my head)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know projectile motion? Essentially, do you realize that the velocity might have two components, in both x and y directions?

Like vector addition?

Yeah

And that you might have to deal with the components separately, because the equations that you've used are only valid for 1 Dimensional motion (unless you write them in vector form, and you haven't done that).

erisedk said:
And that you might have to deal with the components separately, because the equations that you've used are only valid for 1 Dimensional motion (unless you write them in vector form, and you haven't done that).
That is true if one is to apply the SUVAT equations here. However, this is unnecessary and does not seem to fit with the intent of the question. It is most easily answered entirely in terms of work conservation, without considering separate components or vectors.
@Chilling, define 'before' and 'after' in the equation you quote in the context of this question. What do you know about the KE and PE at those times?

Actually my teachers answer was incorrect, I also checked with my classmates thanks for the help. The attempt I made was correct using Velocity(final)^2= V(initial)^2 + 2a(d).

Chilling said:
Actually my teachers answer was incorrect, I also checked with my classmates thanks for the help. The attempt I made was correct using Velocity(final)^2= V(initial)^2 + 2a(d).
Yes, that equation is right, and I'm glad to hear you got the right answer, but what you posted originally is wrong:
Chilling said:
V(f)= 9^2 + 2(9.8)(2.4)
That would give a speed greater than the initial speed.

haruspex said:
Yes, that equation is right, and I'm glad to hear you got the right answer, but what you posted originally is wrong:

That would give a speed greater than the initial speed.
Oh I see i forgot the squared on velocity final

Chilling said:
Oh I see i forgot the squared on velocity final
Funny - I didn't even notice that. There's another error.

I'm sorry, I didn't pay attention to it being from energy conservation. I was thinking in terms of this, especially since it mentioned ball's ARC--
Hmax = (u2(sinθ)2)/2g. (Formula for maximum height in a projectile)

Hence find usinθ, i.e., y component of the velocity.

Using (usinθ)2 + (ucosθ)2 = u2 we get ucosθ, i.e., the x component of the initial velocity, which is the only velocity that remains at the top of the ball's arc (since the y component of the velocity has become 0).

1. How does energy play a role in basketball?

Energy is a fundamental concept in basketball, as it is in all sports. In basketball, energy is constantly being transferred and converted between different forms, such as kinetic energy (movement) and potential energy (stored energy). This is what allows players to run, jump, shoot, and pass the ball.

2. What is the conservation of energy in basketball?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In basketball, this means that the total energy of the players and the ball remains constant throughout the game. This is why players must conserve their energy and make efficient movements in order to perform well.

3. How does body mechanics affect energy conservation in basketball?

Body mechanics, or the way in which the body moves and uses energy, is crucial in basketball. Proper body mechanics can help players conserve energy by using the most efficient movements and reducing unnecessary strain on the body. This allows players to perform at their best for longer periods of time.

4. What are some examples of energy transfers in basketball?

Energy transfers occur in every aspect of basketball. When a player dribbles the ball, energy is transferred from their hand to the ball. When a player jumps to make a shot, energy is transferred from their muscles to the ball. Even the sound of sneakers squeaking on the court is a result of energy being transferred from the players' feet to the ground.

5. How can understanding energy conservation improve basketball performance?

By understanding the principles of energy conservation, players can make more efficient movements and conserve their energy throughout the game. This can lead to better performance, as players will have more energy and stamina to make plays and outlast their opponents. Additionally, having a solid understanding of energy conservation can help prevent injuries and improve overall physical health for players.