Angular velocity of a weighted rod left free to rotate around a pivot

In summary: The point is finding ω when m2 passes from m1's original position.In summary, the system is in unstable equilibrium and the angular velocity is
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A rigid uniform rod of negligible mass is able to rotate around a pivot. Two masses, ##m_1=250g## and ##m_2=200g##, are placed at the ends at distances ##d_1=100cm## and ##d_2=150cm## from the axis of rotation. The system, originally stable in its vertical position, gets moved slightly in the clockwise direction, putting it into rotation. Friction is negligible.
##\rightarrow## what's the angular velocity of the system when it passes from its position of stable equilibrium?
Relevant Equations
Angular momentum
Schermata 2021-02-28 alle 19.45.19.png
Hi guys,
I don't really know how to solve this problem.
The point is finding ##\omega## when ##m_2## passes from ##m_1##'s original position.
Ideally, I'm thinking about some conservation of energy/momentum to apply here, but I'm quite confused.
Any hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Begin by calculating where the center of mass is. Is it above or below the axis of rotation. That will give you a clue about (stable-unstable) equilibrium

greg_rack said:
some conservation of energy/momentum
Yes, you have three to choose from: energy, linear momentum and angular momentum. Which will be conserved for the rod and masses system in this situation?
hacivat said:
That will give you a clue about (stable-unstable) equilibrium
It is not really a question about equilibrium, stable or otherwise. In fact the question is stated incorrectly. The initial position is one of unstable equilibrium.

haruspex said:
It is not really a question about equilibrium, stable or otherwise. In fact the question is stated incorrectly. The initial position is one of unstable equilibrium.

Sorry, new to forum. Are we supposed to tell the answer or guide the way in this section?

hacivat said:
Sorry, new to forum. Are we supposed to tell the answer or guide the way in this section?
Point out errors, correct misunderstandings, offer hints.
But my comment to you was not to do with forum rules. Rather, I felt your post might lead Greg in a wrong direction.

greg_rack said:
Homework Statement:: A rigid uniform rod of negligible mass is able to rotate around a pivot. Two masses, ##m_1=250g## and ##m_2=200g##, are placed at the ends at distances ##d_1=100cm## and ##d_2=150cm## from the axis of rotation. The system, originally stable in its vertical position, gets moved slightly in the clockwise direction, putting it into rotation. Friction is negligible.
##\rightarrow## what's the angular velocity of the system when it passes from its position of stable equilibrium?
Relevant Equations:: Angular momentum

View attachment 278894
Hi guys,
I don't really know how to solve this problem.
The point is finding ##\omega## when ##m_2## passes from ##m_1##'s original position.
Ideally, I'm thinking about some conservation of energy/momentum to apply here, but I'm quite confused.
Any hint?
Maybe you are new to the forum, but you are not new to physics. You should know by now what an equation looks like and "Angular momentum" is not it. You will find that if you make an honest effort towards answering the problem and explaining what's on your mind, people will be more eager to help you.

For example, you say you are thinking that some conservation principle might be applicable here and you mention energy and angular momentum. These are appropriate candidates. You are expected then to tell us what must be true for one or the other to be conserved, and your own ideas whether these conditions are met in this particular case. Furthermore, in the "relevant equations" space write actual equations that express energy and angular momentum conservation to serve as starting point for the ensuing discussion. There you go.

haruspex said:
Rather, I felt your post might lead Greg in a wrong direction.

I respectfully disagree. Instead of saying him that the question is incorrectly stated I am trying to make himself to figure it out why the first use of word "stable" is not well suited there. And only way to figure it out this is to calculate the position of center of mass (which he is going to need to work towards the answer)

greg_rack said:
The point is finding ω when m2 passes from m1's original position.

Be careful! d1 is not equal to d2.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement of an object. It is a vector quantity and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of rotation.

3. What is the formula for angular velocity?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents angular velocity, Δθ represents change in angular displacement, and Δt represents change in time.

4. How does a weighted rod's angular velocity change when left free to rotate around a pivot?

When a weighted rod is left free to rotate around a pivot, its angular velocity remains constant as long as there is no external torque acting on it. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

5. How does the weight of the rod affect its angular velocity?

The weight of the rod does not affect its angular velocity as long as the rod's length and the distance from the pivot remain constant. However, if the weight is distributed unevenly along the rod, it can affect the rod's moment of inertia and therefore its angular velocity.