Angular Velocity/Spinning Disk

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a spinning disk with a constant velocity and questions regarding the angular velocity, speed, period, and time for a point on the disk. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and clarification on the use of angular velocity. The correct answers are 13.19 rev/s for the frequency and 0.828 m/s for the speed.
SalsaOnMyTaco

Homework Statement

Ive been working on this two last questions and I can't seem to get the right set up.

A disk with a diameter of 0.04 m is spinning with a constant velocity about an axle perpendicular to the disk and running through its center.

-How many revolutions per second would it have to rotate in order that the acceleration of the outer edge of the disk be 14 g's (i.e., 14 times the gravitational acceleration g)?
13.19 rev/s

For the frequency determined in part (a), what is the speed of a point half way between the axis of rotation and the edge of the disk?
.828 m/s

At this same frequency, what is the period of rotation of this "halfway point"?

How long does it take a point on the edge of the disk to travel 1 km?

Homework Equations

Period (time)
T= 2∏/ω

Centripetal Acceleration
α=rω2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I try to find the angular velocity at the halfwaypoint
14(9.81)=.01w2 ω=117.19 rad/s

then i punch in
T=2∏/117.19 rad/s T=.053 sec?

Once i typed in the answer, it says is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
woah okay no, should i find the frequency and then divide 1/f ?

Hi SalsaOnMyTaco! :smile:
SalsaOnMyTaco said:
First, I try to find the angular velocity at the halfwaypoint …

Why would the angular velocity be any different? :confused:

Why did you use .01 m for r? Note that it's 14 g's at the outer edge.

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
Hi SalsaOnMyTaco! :smile:

isnt velocity different on a different part of the radius

TSny said:
Why did you use .01 m for r? Note that it's 14 g's at the outer edge.

The total diameter of the disk is .04, radius is .02, half way of the radius is .01

But the problem states that the acceleration is 14 g's for a point on the outer edge of the disk (r = 0.02 m), not at a halfway point (r = 0.01 m).

tiny-tim said:
SalsaOnMyTaco said:
isnt velocity different on a different part of the radius

ahh!

you're confusing angular velocity with tangential velocity (ie component of velocity along the "angular" unit vector ##\boldsymbol{\hat{\theta}}##)

angular velocity is angle per second, dθ/dt, it's not a velocity at all :smile:

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s).

How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the formula v = rω, where v is linear velocity, r is the radius of the spinning disk, and ω is the angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases.

What factors affect the angular velocity of a spinning disk?

The angular velocity of a spinning disk is affected by the radius of the disk, the mass of the disk, and the torque applied to the disk. A larger radius, higher mass, and greater torque will result in a higher angular velocity.

What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of angular velocity. In other words, angular acceleration is the change in angular velocity over time.

How is angular velocity used in real-world applications?

Angular velocity is used in many real-world applications, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to measure the rotation of objects such as wheels, gears, and planets. It is also used in the design and analysis of machines and structures that involve rotation.