Anharmonic oscillator first-order correction to energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding general perturbed wave-functions for a given equation and the formula for first-order correction to the wave-function. The conversation also addresses the use of ladder operators and the importance of considering different states in the calculation. The correct method for expanding the operator is also discussed.
vbrasic

Homework Statement

I have ##H'=ax^3+bx^4##, and wish to find the general perturbed wave-functions.

Homework Equations

First-order correction to the wave-function is given by, $$\psi_n^{(1)}=\Sigma_{m\neq n}\frac{\langle\psi_m^{(0)}|H'|\psi_n^{(0)}\rangle}{n-m}|\psi_m^{(0)}\rangle.$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The formula becomes (focusing exclusively on the cubic term), $$\psi_n^{(1)}=\Sigma_{m\neq n}\frac{\langle\psi_m^{(0)}|ax^3|\psi_n^{(0)}\rangle}{n-m}|\psi_m^{(0)}\rangle.$$

(I shall denote, ##|\psi_{n,m}^{(0)}\rangle## as ##|n,m\rangle## to avoid typesetting overly complicated formulas. Using the ladder operator definition of ##x## then, I have, $$|n^{(1)}\rangle=\frac{a(\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}^{3/2})}{\hbar\omega}\Sigma_{m\neq n}\frac{\langle m|(a+a^+)^3|n\rangle}{n-m}|m\rangle.$$

Now the trouble is, according to my textbook, the cubic term contributes a first-order correction to the wavefunction, but I'm not seeing it. There would never be an equal number of raising and lowering operators, such that by orthogonality all the coefficients would become ##0##.

Physics news on Phys.org
vbrasic said:
There would never be an equal number of raising and lowering operators, such that by orthogonality all the coefficients would become 00.
You seem to forget that ##|n\rangle## and ##|m\rangle## are different states. For example Something like ##\langle n+3|(a^+)^3| n \rangle \neq 0##.

blue_leaf77 said:
You seem to forget that ##|n\rangle## and ##|m\rangle## are different states. For example Something like ##\langle n+3|(a^+)^3| n \rangle \neq 0##.
Oh, okay, I see. So first, I'd expand the operator as, $$(a+a^+)=aa+aa^++a^+a+a^+a^+(a+a^+)^3=aaa+aaa^++aa^+a+aa^+a^++a^+aa+a^+aa^++a^+a^+a+a^+a^+a^+.$$
Then say for the first term, ##m=n-3## in order for them to be non-orthogonal, such that the coeffiecient is $$\frac{\sqrt{n}\sqrt{n-1}\sqrt{n-2}}{3}.$$

Is that right?

vbrasic said:
Is that right?
Yes.

1. What is an anharmonic oscillator?

An anharmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion but has a potential energy function that is not strictly quadratic. This means that the restoring force is not directly proportional to the displacement, leading to a more complex oscillation behavior.

2. What is the first-order correction to energy in an anharmonic oscillator?

The first-order correction to energy is a term in the perturbation theory that accounts for the deviation from the exact energy levels of a quantum system. In an anharmonic oscillator, this correction takes into account the non-linearity of the potential energy function.

3. How is the first-order correction to energy calculated?

The first-order correction to energy is calculated by evaluating the perturbation integral, which involves the perturbation Hamiltonian and the wavefunction of the unperturbed system. This integral is then solved to obtain the correction term.

4. What is the significance of the first-order correction to energy in anharmonic oscillators?

The first-order correction to energy is important because it improves the accuracy of the energy levels predicted by the unperturbed anharmonic oscillator model. It also provides insight into the effects of non-linearity on the behavior of the system.

5. How does the first-order correction affect the energy levels of an anharmonic oscillator?

The first-order correction typically leads to an increase in the energy levels of an anharmonic oscillator, as it accounts for the additional potential energy due to non-linearity. This leads to a more accurate prediction of the energy levels compared to the unperturbed model.