Anihilation operator expression: is there a typo here?

I think makes it more confusing to follow. His ultimate goal is to prove that the Fock space states he's just introduced are "orthonormal", which means that the inner product of any two of them is 0, unless they're the same state, in which case it's 1. (He's already shown that the vacuum ##|0 \rangle## is normalized to ##1##.)He does this by showing that the operators that create new particles (p.173, eq. (5.2.3)) are adjoint to the operators that destroy them (p.174, eq. (5.2.6)). In fact, he shows that the inner product of two different states is 0. (
Tio Barnabe
For those experienced with this stuff,

Weinberg argues (Weinberg, QFT, Volume 1) that an expression for the anihilation operator acting on a state vector when all particles are either all bosons or all fermions is $$a(q) \Phi_{q_1 q_2 ... q_N} = \sum_{r=1}^{N} ( \pm 1)^{r+1} \delta (q - q_r) \Phi_{q_1...q_{r-1} q_{r+1}...q_N}$$ I carefully tried to reproduce the scalar product of this state vector with another state vector, but I have not found the above expression to satisfy their inner product, for one thing: the plus sign in the exponent in ##( \pm 1)^{r+1}##. It seems that it only agrees with the expression for the inner product if the sign is "##-##". Am I missing something else or is that sign a typo?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just for note: I'm trying to understand this expression for about one week or so! Weinberg actually proves it in the text, but I do not understand his proof either. After all this time, I arrived at a possible "proof", but that doesn't agree with the one by Weinberg for the plus sign I mentioned earlier.

If you gave a more precise reference, i.e., page number(s), equation number(s), it would be a lot easier for others to help you.

strangerep said:
If you gave a more precise reference, i.e., page number(s), equation number(s), it would be a lot easier for others to help you.
The above can be found in page ##172## and the pages that follows from it. The equations are those appearing in there. One will have a better understanding of the context if one looks at them together, so it would not be so good to give their book order numbers.

OK. As I read it, the minus sign is for fermions only (and then only if there's an odd number of fermion interchanges). The plus sign is for bosons only (hence not really necessary in that case).

(Tbh, I'm not sure what was confusing you -- the bottom paragraph on p172 explains all this, doesn't it?)

As for the inner product question, sometimes these things become clearer if you try it on a smaller specific example. E.g., try it for M,N just 1, then 2, etc, until you see the pattern. (But if you want to work through this in detail on PF, it should probably go in the Advanced Physics Homework forum, where you will have to show your attempt.)

strangerep said:
As I read it, the minus sign is for fermions only (and then only if there's an odd number of fermion interchanges). The plus sign is for bosons only (hence not really necessary in that case).
You've got this wrong. I'm asking about the sign in the exponent, not the signals in front of the number one.
strangerep said:
(Tbh, I'm not sure what was confusing you -- the bottom paragraph on p172 explains all this, doesn't it?)
Let's say when I substitute the given expression in the inner product, I do not get what I should, i.e. the expression for the inner product as given in page ##172##.
strangerep said:
E.g., try it for M,N just 1, then 2, etc, until you see the pattern.
I did. I have been doing this thing for over a week.

Tio Barnabe said:
You've got this wrong. I'm asking about the sign in the exponent, not the signals in front of the number one.
(Sigh.) OK, now I feel guilty, so I'll do it...

I get (for fermions) ##(-1)^{r-1}##, -- which is of course the same as ##(-1)^{r+1}##, but the latter is indeed confusing, imho.

Ok. After so many days working hard, I think I can finally understand what he does. I have changed the notation, because I find it more easy to go with then his notation:

First of all, the inner product is defined between vectors in a same vector space. What this means in the current case is that they must have the same number of indices.
The inner product between two vectors of same number ##n## of indices can be written as $$\langle n| n \rangle = \sum_{j=1}^{n!} ( \pm 1)^{j-1} \prod_{i=1}^{n} \delta (P(i,j) - i')$$ where is crucial to assume that there exists a function like ##P## above that will satisfy the permutations required by the situation.

Next, I found, using the elements ##\{1,2,3 \}## and fixing the element ##\{1 \}##, writing a general expression for it and going through it back to the above expression, which proves that it works for every number ##n## of elements, that the above inner product can also be written as $$\langle n| n \rangle = \sum_{r=1}^{n} \delta(q - r) \delta_r \sum_{j=1}^{(n-1)!} ( \pm 1)^{j-1} \prod_{i \neq r} \delta (\bar{P}(i,j) - i')$$ (1) where it's assumed that a function ##\bar{P}## can be found, such that ##\bar{P}(r,j) \equiv q, \forall j## and ##q \in \{n \}##. Furthermore, ##\delta_r## could be defined ##\delta_{r = 1} = 1##, ##\delta_{r > 1} = -1## if the particles are fermions, and ##\delta_{\forall r} = 1## in case of bosons.

Let our candidate expression be ##a(q) |n \rangle = \sum_{r =1}^{n} ( \pm 1)^{r-1} \delta (q - r) |n-1 \rangle## (2)

Knowing all of the above, simply substitute the expression given by Weinberg, as you pointed out, it will not matter in the end which sign is up there in the exponent.

$$\langle n' | a(q) |n \rangle = \sum_{r=1}^{n} ( \pm 1)^{r-1} \delta(q-r) \langle n-1 | n-1 \rangle$$ but the above inner product is $$\sum_{j=1}^{(n-1)!} ( \pm 1)^{j-1} \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} \delta ( \bar{P}(i,j) - i')$$ Comparing this with (1) above, we see that (2) immediately satisfy the inner product for bosons. For fermions, we could ignore ##\delta_r## and ##( \pm 1)^{r-1}##, because there is already the term ##(-1)^{j-1}## in the sum over the ##n!## possible permutations, and so (2) also satisfy for fermions. But I do not like simply ignoring terms. What are your thoughts? (If you read all of this text, LoL).

Tio Barnabe said:
But I do not like simply ignoring terms. What are your thoughts? (If you read all of this text, LoL).
Well, I read it, but I'm not sure what the question is.

As Weinberg says near the bottom of p174, he's doing all this in the reverse order from most textbooks. I.e., he's using some physical arguments and the inner product to derive the canonical (anti-)commutation relations. The latter are more usually postulated up front.

This is yet another reason why Weinberg should probably not be one's first introduction to QFT. :frown:

Likes vanhees71 and bhobba
strangerep said:
This is yet another reason why Weinberg should probably not be one's first introduction to QFT. :frown:

Indeed not.

I have the set and have read a number of books on QFT up to Zee- QFT In a Nutshell.

I don't understand Zee as well as I would like to - and until I do will not undertake Weinberg.

Thanks
Bill

I got it now. Nevertheless thank you @strangerep for trying to help me

strangerep said:
Well, I read it, but I'm not sure what the question is.

As Weinberg says near the bottom of p174, he's doing all this in the reverse order from most textbooks. I.e., he's using some physical arguments and the inner product to derive the canonical (anti-)commutation relations. The latter are more usually postulated up front.

Indeed, but reading it after having gotten used to some calculations in QFT with the question, why these calculations make sense from a fundamental point of view, Weinberg's treatment is a revelation!

bhobba said:
Indeed not.

I have the set and have read a number of books on QFT up to Zee- QFT In a Nutshell.

I don't understand Zee as well as I would like to - and until I do will not undertake Weinberg.

Thanks
Bill
Zee is the worst textbook on the subject, I've seen yet (and I've seen many!). My favorite is Schwartz as an intro-QFT book (or, if you prefer the path-integral only approach, Bailin and Love).

Likes bhobba
vanhees71 said:
Indeed, but reading [Weinberg] after having gotten used to some calculations in QFT with the question, why these calculations make sense from a fundamental point of view, Weinberg's treatment is a revelation!
Yes, indeed, if one can successfully navigate Weinberg torturous way of "explaining" things. Sometimes I think he's deliberately constructing an obstacle course for the reader. :frown:

@bhobba: Similar to what Hendrik said,... don't let non-completion of Zee stop from moving on to another QFT text.

vanhees71 said:
Zee is the worst textbook on the subject, I've seen yet (and I've seen many!). My favorite is Schwartz as an intro-QFT book (or, if you prefer the path-integral only approach, Bailin and Love).

I don't like it either. Think your advice might be good - have done QFT For The Gifted Amateur and Student Friendly QFT. But wanted something in the middle between those and Weinberg. I will check it out.

Added Later:
Had a look in my library just to see if I had purchased it somewhere along the line. But found Banks:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521850827/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What your opinion of that book?

Thanks
Bill

This one I don't know yet. I think QFT for the giftet amateur is very good too. I also don't know Student Friendly QFT.

strangerep said:
Yes, indeed, if one can successfully navigate Weinberg torturous way of "explaining" things. Sometimes I think he's deliberately constructing an obstacle course for the reader. :frown:

@bhobba: Similar to what Hendrik said,... don't let non-completion of Zee stop from moving on to another QFT text.
Well, the problem with Weinberg for the beginner is that he aims at explaining the most general case right away, and that of course makes it hard to get started. E.g., it is completely sufficient for the QFT I+II lectures to treat the kind of fields needed in the Standard Model, i.e., scalars, Dirac fields (+chiral fermions when it comes to the electroweak sector, but here ##\gamma^5## is your friend and you don't need to formalize it to Weyl spinors but can use Dirac spinors with the projection operators to definite chirality states), and massless as well as massive spin-1 fields.

Likes bhobba

1. What is an annihilation operator expression?

An annihilation operator expression is a mathematical representation used in quantum mechanics to describe the process of removing a particle from a quantum state. It is denoted by the symbol "a" with a hat on top (â).

2. How is an annihilation operator expression different from a creation operator expression?

An annihilation operator expression is the inverse of a creation operator expression. While a creation operator adds a particle to a quantum state, an annihilation operator removes a particle from a quantum state. They both play important roles in describing the behavior of quantum systems.

3. Can you provide an example of an annihilation operator expression?

An example of an annihilation operator expression is â|n⟩, where â is the annihilation operator and |n⟩ is a quantum state with n particles. This expression represents removing one particle from the state |n⟩.

4. What is the relationship between an annihilation operator expression and a Hermitian conjugate?

The Hermitian conjugate of an annihilation operator expression is its adjoint, denoted by â†. They are related by the equation ↠= â†, where â is the annihilation operator and ↠is the Hermitian conjugate. This relationship is important in calculating expectation values and other properties of quantum systems.

5. Is there a typo in the expression for the annihilation operator?

It is possible that there is a typo in the expression for the annihilation operator, but it would depend on the specific context and notation being used. It is always important to double check the notation and equations being used in any scientific expression to ensure accuracy.