Derivation of an expression involving boson operators

• Thread starter patric44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bosons
In summary, the conversation discusses an expression found in a paper regarding the derivation of relations involving boson operators. There is confusion about the derivation process and the use of a partial derivative, as well as the meaning of the symbol "N" in the expression. The source of the paper is provided and the conversation delves into the details of the equations involved.
patric44
Homework Statement
derive the following expression involving boson operator
Relevant Equations
B=\sum_{i}\alpha_{i}b_{i}
Hi all
I found this expression in a paper that concerns the derivation of some relations about boson operators but it is not very clear to me how the results were obtained. The derivation starts as, let B be an operator as a linear combination of different boson operators:
$$
B=\sum_{i}\alpha_{i}b_{i}
$$
then the expectation value of the identity operator in the n-boson state is :
$$
\bra{B^{n}}\hat{1}\ket{(B^{\dagger})^{n}}=\bra{B^{n-1}}\sum_{i}\alpha_{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial b^{\dagger}_{i}}\ket{(B^{\dagger})^{n}}=n\alpa^{2}N_{n-1}
$$
where the partial derivative came from? and what is big N,the paper doesn't mention that, shouldn't the expression be :
$$
\bra{B^{n}}\hat{1}\ket{(B^{\dagger})^{n}}=\bra{B^{n-1}}B\ket{(B^{\dagger})^{n}}=\bra{B^{n-1}}\sum_{i}\alpha_{i}b_{i}\ket{(B^{\dagger})^{n}}
$$
can any one clarify, I will appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
patric44 said:
Homework Statement: derive the following expression involving boson operator
Relevant Equations: B=\sum_{i}\alpha_{i}b_{i}
Did you forget some hash hash symbols?

patric44 said:
I found this expression in a paper
It's usually a good idea to include a link to your source, just in case you've mistyped or misunderstood something.

patric44 said:
where the partial derivative came from?
It's possible to prove a general formula like $$[a, f(a^\dagger)] ~=~ i\hbar \, \partial_{a^\dagger} f(a^\dagger) ~.$$The constant ##i\hbar## factor might be different depending on what conventions you're using for the canonical commutation relations. (Exercise: use induction to prove this formula for simple functions like ##f(x) = x^n##, then use linearity of the commutator to generalize the formula to polynomials.)
patric44 said:
and what is big N,
I'm guessing it's the number operator, something involving ##\sum_i b_i^\dagger b_i##.
patric44 said:
the paper doesn't mention that, shouldn't the expression be :
$$
\bra{B^{n}}\hat{1}\ket{(B^{\dagger})^{n}}=\bra{B^{n-1}}B\ket{(B^{\dagger})^{n}}=\bra{B^{n-1}}\sum_{i}\alpha_{i}b_{i}\ket{(B^{\dagger})^{n}}
$$
Without seeing the paper, it's impossible to say for sure. But my guess is "no". Write out the expression properly and apply the rule I described above.

Likes vanhees71
strangerep said:
Did you forget some hash hash symbols?It's usually a good idea to include a link to your source, just in case you've mistyped or misunderstood something.It's possible to prove a general formula like $$[a, f(a^\dagger)] ~=~ i\hbar \, \partial_{a^\dagger} f(a^\dagger) ~.$$The constant ##i\hbar## factor might be different depending on what conventions you're using for the canonical commutation relations. (Exercise: use induction to prove this formula for simple functions like ##f(x) = x^n##, then use linearity of the commutator to generalize the formula to polynomials.)

I'm guessing it's the number operator, something involving ##\sum_i b_i^\dagger b_i##.

Without seeing the paper, it's impossible to say for sure. But my guess is "no". Write out the expression properly and apply the rule I described above.
the paper isn't open access so I thought I would write the question separably, here is the link of the paper:
the paper, the commutation relation is included in the paper but i am not interested in proving them, rather my concern is equations 4a,4b,4c

What is the purpose of deriving an expression involving boson operators?

The purpose of deriving an expression involving boson operators is to understand the behavior and properties of systems that involve bosonic particles. Boson operators are mathematical tools used to describe the creation and annihilation of bosons, which are particles with integer spin. By deriving an expression involving boson operators, we can better understand the behavior of these particles and make predictions about their interactions.

What are boson operators and how are they related to bosonic particles?

Boson operators are mathematical operators that are used to describe the creation and annihilation of bosonic particles. They are related to bosonic particles because they represent the action of creating or destroying a boson in a given state. These operators follow specific commutation relations, which dictate how they interact with each other and with other operators in the system.

What is the process for deriving an expression involving boson operators?

The process for deriving an expression involving boson operators involves using the commutation relations and other mathematical properties of these operators to manipulate and simplify the expression. This often involves using techniques from linear algebra and quantum mechanics. The end result is an expression that describes the behavior of bosonic particles in a particular system.

Is the derivation of an expression involving boson operators applicable to all systems with bosonic particles?

Yes, the derivation of an expression involving boson operators is applicable to all systems that involve bosonic particles. This is because the mathematical properties of boson operators and the commutation relations they follow are universal for all bosonic particles. However, the specific form of the expression may vary depending on the system and the interactions between the particles.

What are some real-world applications of the derivation of an expression involving boson operators?

The derivation of an expression involving boson operators has many real-world applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. It is used to study and understand the behavior of systems such as superfluids, superconductors, and Bose-Einstein condensates. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum communication.