Anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration

In summary: I vaguely remember dealing with Lagrangians back at university. If I am trying to use polar coordinates (anisotropic Schwarzschild) I am sure there will be some extra complications...
Agerhell
In this documentation from Nasa a procedure to get to what I guess is the gravitational acceleration according to the post-Newtonian expansion at the 1PN-level for the spherically symmetric case is found:

http://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/Monograph/series2/Descanso2_all.pdf

The procedure is based on using the metric shown in expression (4.60) on page (4.42). The metric is a low order expansion of the isotropic Schwarzschild metric. The procecure to get to the expression for the acceleration is a bit beyond me.

My question is:

What expression for the gravitational gravitation do you get if you use the anisotropic Schwarzschild metric and apply the same procedure?

I would also like to know why the isotropic Schwarzschild metric is used to derive an expression for the acceleration and not the anisotropic metric, which is more common in basic textbooks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agerhell said:
What expression for the gravitational gravitation do you get if you use the anisotropic Schwarzschild metric and apply the same procedure?
Why don't you try it and let us know what you get?

Agerhell said:
I would also like to know why the isotropic Schwarzschild metric is used to derive an expression for the acceleration and not the anisotropic metric, which is more common in basic textbooks...
Probably because the reference they cribbed it from ("HRTW") used isotropic coordinates.

Bill_K said:
Why don't you try it and let us know what you get?

Hmm... I will start. Maybe someone can continue or ells I will continue later.

According to the book you assume:

[tex]L^2=\frac{ds^2}{dt^2}[/tex]

Then you get the equations of motion from the expression:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(L\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x_i}})-(\frac{\dot{L}}{L})(L\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x_i}})- L\frac{\partial L}{\partial x_i}=0, x_i = x,y,z[/tex]

There is some approximation involved:

[tex]\frac{\dot{L}}{L}\approx \frac{L\dot{L}}{c^2}[/tex]

The expression on the right side just above replaces the expression to the left. The book also states that "##L\dot{L}## is obtained by differentiating a simplified expression for ##L^2## containing terms to order ##1/c^0## only."

Assuming:

[tex]ds^2=(1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2}+2\frac{(GM)^2}{r^2c^4})c^2dt^2-(1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2})(dx^2+dy^2+dz^2)[/tex]

according to the book this will result in:

[tex]{\bf \ddot{r}}=\frac{GM}{r^3c^2}((\frac{4GM}{r}-v^2){\bf r} +4({\bf r\cdot\dot{r}}){\bf \dot{r}})[/tex]

I might have done some mistake here, interpreting what I read, but this is sort of standard procedure for how you get from a metric via some Lagrangian method to equations of motions? If anyone have a link to page describing this procedure in general it would be helpful.

I vaguely remember dealing with Lagrangians back at university. If I am trying to use polar coordinates (anisotropic Schwarzschild) I am sure there will be some extra complications...

1. What is anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration?

Anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration refers to a type of acceleration that varies depending on direction, as opposed to being the same in all directions. This can be described using a metric tensor, which is a mathematical tool used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime.

2. How is anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration different from regular acceleration?

Anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration differs from regular acceleration in that it takes into account the curvature of spacetime and can vary in different directions. Regular acceleration, on the other hand, is a measure of change in velocity over time and does not consider the effects of gravity or spacetime curvature.

3. What are some examples of anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration?

One example of anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object in orbit around a massive body, such as a planet or star. The acceleration varies depending on the direction of the object's motion. Another example is the acceleration experienced by an object in a rotating frame of reference, where the acceleration is different in different directions due to the effects of centrifugal force.

4. How is anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration relevant to scientific research?

Anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration is relevant to scientific research, particularly in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology. It helps us understand the effects of gravity and spacetime curvature on the motion of objects in the universe. It also plays a role in the development of theories and models to explain the behavior of celestial bodies and the structure of the universe.

5. What are the practical applications of studying anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration?

Studying anisotropic instead of isotropic metric deriving acceleration can have practical applications in space exploration and navigation. It can help us navigate spacecraft more accurately and efficiently by taking into account the varying acceleration in different directions. It also has potential applications in developing new technologies and propulsion systems that take advantage of the effects of anisotropic acceleration.