Annoyinlgy easy problem with thermodynamics that I can't get my head around

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in thermodynamics involving calculating the volume and work performed by 1 gram of steam changing from liquid to gas at 100 degrees C. The concept of latent heat of vaporization is also mentioned and defined as the amount of heat required to change the phase from liquid to gas without any increase in temperature. A helpful website with a graphic is also recommended.
Claire84
I'm just answering a thermodynamics problem of my Physics homework and I just can't get my head around it here. I'll give you the quesion here, and the reason I don't get it is because you're given the mass of the substamnce as opposed to the number of moles etc...

The latent heat of vaporisation for water at a pressure of 1 atmosphere and at 100 degrees C is 2268 J/kg.

Assuming that the steam behaves as an ideal gasm calculate thee volume occupied by 1g of steam under these conditions. Hence calculate the work performed by 1g as it changes from liquid to gas. Using the forst law of thermodynamics, calculate the change in the internal energy of 1g of the water when it changes to gas.

What does it mean by the latent heat as well? We've never used that term in lectures before. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Claire84
Assuming that the steam behaves as an ideal gasm calculate thee volume occupied by 1g of steam under these conditions.

To get the number of moles, you will need the molecular mass of water (you can look it up for H and O on a periodic table, and combine accordingly).

What does it mean by the latent heat as well?

The latent heat of vaporization is the amount of heat required to change the phase from liquid to gas. It costs that much heat to change phase, and results in no increase in temperature.

There is a nice graphic at this website:

HyperPhysics

In the bubble map, click on "Heat and Thermodynamics", then in the next one click on "Phase Changes".

I understand that thermodynamics can be a challenging subject and it's not uncommon to struggle with certain problems. It's important to remember that it takes time and practice to fully grasp these concepts.

In regards to your specific question, the latent heat of vaporization is the amount of energy required to change a substance from a liquid to a gas at a constant temperature. This is different from the specific heat, which is the amount of energy required to change the temperature of a substance.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the equation Q = m*L, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass, and L is the latent heat of vaporization. You are given the mass of the substance, so you can use this equation to calculate the heat energy required for the phase change.

As for the volume and work calculations, you will need to use the ideal gas law equation (PV = nRT) to solve for the volume of 1g of steam. Remember that the number of moles (n) can be calculated by dividing the mass by the molar mass of water. From there, you can use the work equation (W = PΔV) to calculate the work performed during the phase change.

Finally, the first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy (ΔU) is equal to the heat energy (Q) minus the work (W). So, after calculating the heat energy and work, you can use this equation to find the change in internal energy for 1g of water as it changes from liquid to gas.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Remember to take your time and break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. Don't hesitate to ask for help from your teacher or classmates if needed. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Annoyinlgy easy problem with thermodynamics that I can't get my head around

1. What is the annoyingly easy problem with thermodynamics that many scientists struggle with?

The problem is understanding the concept of entropy and its relation to the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

2. Can you explain the Second Law of Thermodynamics in simple terms?

The Second Law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that the disorder or randomness of a system will always tend to increase, and energy will naturally flow from hot to cold objects.

3. Why is entropy often referred to as the "arrow of time"?

Entropy is often referred to as the "arrow of time" because it explains the direction of time in which events occur. As entropy increases, time moves forward and the universe becomes increasingly disordered.

4. How does entropy relate to the concept of energy?

Entropy and energy are closely related, as energy can be converted into different forms, but the total amount of energy in a closed system will remain the same. However, as energy is converted, entropy will increase, and the system will become more disordered.

5. What are some real-world examples of entropy?

Examples of entropy in everyday life include melting ice cubes, the diffusion of perfume in a room, and the rusting of metal. In all of these cases, energy is being dispersed and the system becomes more disordered.