Annular eclipse October 14, 2023

• B
  • Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I was near Reno, NV. Outside the path of "totality" but managed a couple of crummy photos. It was light overcast with the clouds moving pretty fast.

With a solar filter held in front of camera:
DSC_2575_crop.jpg

With #5 tint mask:
DSC_2579_small.jpg

Likes nsaspook, BillTre and FactChecker
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Too north, too rainy and too cloudy in this part of Oregon but I did see a slight dip in the mornings log data from the solar array.
1697317344150.png

Dropped out of the small morning solar energy production and the panels were in open circuit voltage monitor mode during the sun dip. The voltage spikes are the charge controller testing MPPT and finding almost no power.

Likes gmax137
I posted my pics in another thread. My pics were taken from just west of San Antonio, TX. Clouds parted just enough to see it!

chemisttree said:
I posted my pics in another thread. My pics were taken from just west of San Antonio, TX. Clouds parted just enough to see it!
Nice! we did not get the full annulus here. With the cloudy forecast, I didn't try driving northeast towards Elko; maybe I should have!

What is an annular eclipse?

An annular eclipse occurs when the Moon is too far away from the Earth to completely cover the Sun, resulting in a ring of sunlight being visible around the Moon.

When will the annular eclipse occur on October 14, 2023?

The annular eclipse on October 14, 2023 will occur in the early morning hours, starting at sunrise and lasting for a few hours depending on the location.

Where will the annular eclipse be visible?

The annular eclipse on October 14, 2023 will be visible from parts of North America, South America, and the Pacific Ocean. The best viewing locations will be in regions where the eclipse is at its maximum.

How often do annular eclipses occur?

Annular eclipses occur around 32 times per century, making them a relatively rare celestial event compared to total solar eclipses.

Is it safe to look at an annular eclipse?

It is never safe to look directly at the Sun during an eclipse, including an annular eclipse. Special eclipse glasses or indirect viewing methods should always be used to protect your eyes from the Sun's harmful rays.