Another angular velocity problem

In summary, angular velocity is a measure of rotational motion and is different from linear velocity which involves straight-line motion. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. The main factors affecting angular velocity are the speed of rotation and the radius of the circular motion. Real-world applications of angular velocity include measuring the rotation of gears, calculating the speed of a spinning top, and determining the orbit of planets and other celestial bodies.
Imperil
A Ferris wheel makes two rotations per minute. The radius of the Ferris wheel is 25 m.

a) Determine the angular velocity in rad/s
b) A ride lasts 4 min. How far will a rider travel in 4 min?

My Work:

a) C = 2Pi(25 m) = 50Pi m
50Pi m / 25 m = 2Pi rad

2 rotations/min x 2Pi = 4Pi rad/min

Therefore the angular velocity is Pi / 15 rad/s

b) 4 x 4Pi = 16Pi
16Pi = a / 25 m
a = 25(16Pi)
a = 400Pi
a = 1256.6 m

I believe I am correct but I am hoping someone could check over my approach to the problem as my text was not very clear at all and I have tried to figure this out mainly on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
Imperil said:
A Ferris wheel makes two rotations per minute. The radius of the Ferris wheel is 25 m.

a) Determine the angular velocity in rad/s
b) A ride lasts 4 min. How far will a rider travel in 4 min?

My Work:

a) C = 2Pi(25 m) = 50Pi m
50Pi m / 25 m = 2Pi rad
Why did you calculate this? Surely you knew from the start that there are [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians in any circle!

2 rotations/min x 2Pi = 4Pi rad/min

Therefore the angular velocity is Pi / 15 rad/s
Yes, although I think I would have said "one rotation in 30 seconds is [itex]2\pi/30= \pi/15[/itex] radians per second", this is fine.

b) 4 x 4Pi = 16Pi
16Pi = a / 25 m
a = 25(16Pi)
a = 400Pi
a = 1256.6 m
You had already calcuated in (a) (where it wasn't necessary!) that the circumference of the wheel is [itex]50\pi[/itex] meters. Now you calculate it again! In 4 minutes you will have made 8 rotations: [itex]8(50\pi)= 400\pi[/itex] m just as you say. I think I would leave it as [itex]400\pi m[/itex] and not change to an approximate answer.

I believe I am correct but I am hoping someone could check over my approach to the problem as my text was not very clear at all and I have tried to figure this out mainly on my own.
You've done some unnecessary work but you have the correct answers.

Your approach to the problem is correct. Here are some explanations for your calculations:

a) To find the angular velocity, we use the formula w = 2πf, where w is the angular velocity in radians per second, and f is the frequency in rotations per second. In this case, the frequency is given as 2 rotations per minute, which can be converted to rotations per second by dividing by 60 (since there are 60 seconds in a minute). So, the frequency is 2/60 = 1/30 rotations per second. Plugging this into the formula, we get w = 2π(1/30) = π/15 rad/s.

b) To find the distance traveled by a rider in 4 minutes, we use the formula d = rθ, where d is the distance traveled, r is the radius of the Ferris wheel, and θ is the angular displacement. In this case, the rider will complete 2 rotations per minute, so in 4 minutes, they will complete 8 rotations. This corresponds to an angular displacement of 8(2π) = 16π radians. Plugging this into the formula, we get d = (25)(16π) = 400π m ≈ 1256.6 m. So, your answer is correct.

Overall, your approach to the problem is correct and your calculations are accurate. Good job!

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity involves rotational motion, while linear velocity involves straight-line motion. Angular velocity measures the change in an object's angular position over time, while linear velocity measures the change in an object's linear position over time.

3. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. This can also be represented as the ratio of the angular displacement (in radians or degrees) to the time it took to make that displacement.

4. What factors affect angular velocity?

The main factors affecting angular velocity are the speed of rotation and the radius of the circular motion. Objects rotating at higher speeds or with a larger radius will have a higher angular velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. Some examples of real-world applications include measuring the rotation of gears, calculating the speed of a spinning top, and determining the orbit of planets and other celestial bodies.