Find the velocity and angular velocity of the rod and point

In summary: You should first calculate the speed of point D, which is the only static point in the system. From the speed of point D, you can then calculate the velocity of points B and E.
Noob of the Maths
Homework Statement
Rod BDE is partially guided by a roller at D which moves in a vertical track. Knowing that at the instant shown the angular velocity of crank AB is 5 rad/s clockwise and that °β=25° ,determine (a) the angular velocity of the rod, (b) the velocity of Point E.
Relevant Equations
WED * rED...
Hi everyone :)!

I resolve this problem with components method and trigonometry method.

My results with components method its okay, but i can´t obtain the correct VE velocity.

Im sure that the problem its in the angles, but i don't know how to fix it.

The correct answers:

-Angular velocity of the rod: 2.84 rad/s
-Velocity of Point E: 1.81 m/s

In trigonometry i obtain 1.28 m/s ;(
Captura de Pantalla 2021-09-29 a la(s) 13.02.21.png

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would calculate the velocity of point D, which can only be vertical up.
The magnitude and direction of the velocity of point E depends directly on Vb and Vd.

The vertical component of Ve should be greater than Vd in a factor of 700/500, as they both, points D and E, move up while point B can only instantaneously move horizontally.

The horizontal component of Ve should be smaller than Vb in a factor of 200/500, as they both, point B and E, get closer to the vertical line of point D, but at different rates of speed.

The vectorial summation of the x and y components of Ve, should produce 1.81 m/s.

Lnewqban said:
I would calculate the velocity of point D, which can only be vertical up.
The magnitude and direction of the velocity of point E depends directly on Vb and Vd.

The vertical component of Ve should be greater than Vd in a factor of 700/500, as they both, points D and E, move up while point B can only instantaneously move horizontally.

The horizontal component of Ve should be smaller than Vb in a factor of 200/500, as they both, point B and E, get closer to the vertical line of point D, but at different rates of speed.

The vectorial summation of the x and y components of Ve, should produce 1.81 m/s.
Yes, i obtain 1.81 in the summation of components. But this result its not the same in the trigonometry comprobation

Noob of the Maths said:
Yes, i obtain 1.81 in the summation of components. But this result its not the same in the trigonometry comprobation
Following my reasoning of previous post, I see no way to justify the relations among velocities and angles that you have shown in your trigonometry method.

From the point of view of an observer standing on the ground, point B moves horizontally to the right, point D moves vertically up, a middle point located between B and D moves to the right and up diagonally.

Therefore, point E moves to the left and up, but at an angle with the horizontal that must be greater than the assumed 65 degrees.

Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
Following my reasoning of previous post, I see no way to justify the relations among velocities and angles that you have shown in your trigonometry method.

From the point of view of an observer standing on the ground, point B moves horizontally to the right, point D moves vertically up, a middle point located between B and D moves to the right and up diagonally.

Therefore, point E moves to the left and up, but at an angle with the horizontal that must be greater than the assumed 65 degrees.
Yes, previous reasoning was wrong.

I asked for help to my teacher, and he just say: "you may first need to know the speed of D..."

So, I performed another procedure based on distances and prime.
Captura de Pantalla 2021-10-03 a la(s) 13.52.57.png

But... I arrive at an equation that does not work for me because I already know the velocity of B... ;(

Im stuck with the trigonometry comprobation of velocity on E point...

"... the angular velocity of crank AB is 5 rad/s clockwise." :)

Again, you should consider the geometry of the mechanism.
Section BD behaves like a ladder sliding on a horizontal grade and a vertical wall of a building.
Section DE is just like an extension of that imaginary ladder; therefore, the movement of point E respect to the grade is going to be magnified (700 mm/500 mm) respect to the combined movements of points B and D.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes Noob of the Maths
Lnewqban said:

Section BD behaves like a ladder sliding on a horizontal grade and a vertical wall of a building.
Section DE is just like an extension of that imaginary ladder; therefore, the movement of point E respect to the grade is going to be magnified (700 mm/500 mm) respect to the combined movements of points B and D.

View attachment 290148
then all this time I got the speed of VD (1.28 m/s) :O? Now I just need to use this velocity and take its angular velocity, in order to calculate the velocity of VE? just as it was done with the velocity of B...

Noob of the Maths said:
then all this time I got the speed of VD (1.28 m/s) :O? Now I just need to use this velocity and take its angular velocity, in order to calculate the velocity of VE? just as it was done with the velocity of B...

Attachments

• 79584668-5889-45D7-AFFF-3F1C017B0421.jpeg
    79584668-5889-45D7-AFFF-3F1C017B0421.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 112
Likes Noob of the Maths
Lnewqban said:

View attachment 290148
using as a reference other problems I saw, the vectors drawn on the diagrams could already be considered a check, something like: when the velocities of the midpoint and the velocity Vb are equal, the omega is zero.

my problem is just the sum of the VE vectors. I could do it using the velocity and angular velocity of B (as I show in the first one), but implementing that with VE causes me problems ;(.

Seeing the rectangular vector of VE, I suppose that an angle of 90 would be used, since the relative velocity is perpendicular to the rod.

This showed me that I am still a dumb in this cases...

Noob of the Maths said:
using as a reference other problems I saw, the vectors drawn on the diagrams could already be considered a check, something like: when the velocities of the midpoint and the velocity Vb are equal, the omega is zero.

my problem is just the sum of the VE vectors. I could do it using the velocity and angular velocity of B (as I show in the first one), but implementing that with VE causes me problems ;(.

Seeing the rectangular vector of VE, I suppose that an angle of 90 would be used, since the relative velocity is perpendicular to the rod.

This showed me that I am still a dumb in this cases...

90 degrees is not the angle because the rod does not rotate around any fixed pivot.
Both pivot points, B and D, have rectilinear movements, and that affects all the points along the rod in a different manner.

If point B is moving towards the vertical line that is the trajectory of point D, then point E must also move towards that line (although at a different instantaneous velocity, due to the whole geometry of the mechanism); hence, the vector Vex towards the left.

If point D is moving up and away from the horizontal line that is the trajectory of point B, then point E must also move up and away from that line (although at a greater instantaneous velocity that D, due to the whole geometry of the mechanism); hence, the vertical vector Vey pointing up.

Combining the values of Vex and Vey and using Pitagora's equation (only because the trajectories of points B and D happen to be perpendicular to each other), we obtain the Ve vector (which is not perpendicular to the rod for any reason).

You are not dumb, my friend; you are just trying to learn difficult things.

Likes Noob of the Maths
Lnewqban said:
90 degrees is not the angle because the rod does not rotate around any fixed pivot.
Both pivot points, B and D, have rectilinear movements, and that affects all the points along the rod in a different manner.

If point B is moving towards the vertical line that is the trajectory of point D, then point E must also move towards that line (although at a different instantaneous velocity, due to the whole geometry of the mechanism); hence, the vector Vex towards the left.

If point D is moving up and away from the horizontal line that is the trajectory of point B, then point E must also move up and away from that line (although at a greater instantaneous velocity that D, due to the whole geometry of the mechanism); hence, the vertical vector Vey pointing up.

Combining the values of Vex and Vey and using Pitagora's equation (only because the trajectories of points B and D happen to be perpendicular to each other), we obtain the Ve vector (which is not perpendicular to the rod for any reason).

You are not dumb, my friend; you are just trying to learn difficult things.
After the analysis with the diagrams, I think it would be easy to demonstrate trigonometrically with the "image" method.
Captura de Pantalla 2021-10-06 a la(s) 11.58.35.png

Its right? ;(

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the difference between velocity and angular velocity?

Velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time, while angular velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's angular position with respect to time.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of a rod?

The velocity of a rod can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

3. How do you calculate the angular velocity of a point?

The angular velocity of a point can be calculated by dividing the change in the angle of rotation by the time it took for that change to occur.

4. What are the units of measurement for velocity and angular velocity?

The units of measurement for velocity are typically distance per time (e.g. meters per second), while the units for angular velocity are typically radians per second.

5. How does the velocity and angular velocity of a rod and point affect their motion?

The velocity and angular velocity of a rod and point determine their speed and direction of motion. Higher velocities and angular velocities will result in faster and more rapid motion, while lower velocities and angular velocities will result in slower and more gradual motion.