Another mechanics question (a simpler one, I proimise)

• Thread starter Abukadu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation is about a mechanics question involving a ball with given mass, velocity, and height, and a force from the wind. The goal is to find the distance on the x-axis when the ball hits the ground. The solution involves calculating the time it takes for the ball to reach its starting height and then fall to the ground, and then using this time to find the distance on the x-axis. The conversation also briefly mentions language skills and offers to help with translation.
Abukadu
Another mechanics question :) (a simpler one, I proimise!)

Homework Statement

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5172/112mz7.th.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php
As the picture shows:
M=4kg
V0=5 m/s
h=5m
F(wind)=2N
angle=15 degrees

I need to find the distance on axis x of the ball when he hits the ground.

2. The attempt at a solution

So this is how I tried to solve it..

1. I'll try to calculate the distance the ball made until he got back to the height he started with (the ball goes up a few metters, gets to a point where his speed its 0 and then drops down until he hits the ground)

-Mg - F=Ma -> -40-2=4a -> a=-10.5 m/s2 (right?)

y=yo+v0t+0.5at2
0=0+5sin15t+0.5*(-10.5)*t2
-5.25t2+1.3t=0
t=0.247s

so to that point the ball made a progress on axis x:
X1=v*t=5cos15*0.247=1.19m

Now I need to find his progress on axis x from that point, when he got back to the original height he started with and is falling down 5m.
The speed on axis y is 5sin15 m/s, so the time it will take the ball to hit the ground from that point is:
-5=0-5sin15*t+0.5*(-10.5)*t2 (did I get all the minuses right?:shy:)
5.25t2+1.3t-5=0
t=0.86s

so on axis X...
X2=v*t=5cos15*0.86=4.15m

and alltogher..
X1+X2=5.35m

is there any mistake you can tell I made alond the way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

To check your answer, try doing the problem "all at once" rather than splitting it into two parts. If you get the same answer, it's probably right.

thanks heth.
btw, why can't I edit the title? pepole might get the impression that I'm dyslexic.

Abukadu said:
btw, why can't I edit the title? pepole might get the impression that I'm dyslexic.
You can edit your posts for a maximum of one hour after they were posted.

Don't worry about your spelling, we see much worse here :smile:

Hootenanny said:
You can edit your posts for a maximum of one hour after they were posted.

Don't worry about your spelling, we see much worse here :smile:

My approach about spelling is you can't criticize someone until you try and write in his language.
And trust me, hebrew is not an easy one to learn.. :smile:

BTW
Its kind of a weird question but are there by any chance people who know Hindi in PF? I'm looking for someone who can translate a few lines from english to Hindi for me :)

Last edited:

Abukadu said:
M
BTW
Its kind of a weird question but are there by any chance people who know Hindi in PF? I'm looking for someone who can translate a few lines from english to Hindi for me :)

Hi again! :smile: You might try to post this request in GD (general discussion)? Or look for someone who hints they may be from a country where Hindi is more dominant, and then send them a private message.

I'll confess to being fluent in only my native tongue, with a small working vocab in just a few romance languages... mainly to make my kids laugh. I really need to buckle down and get some language-on-tape sets. It would be good to learn more than "Let's go! Hurry up!" "Get on the bus! Have a good day!" or "Good night! Go to bed!" :rofl:

I am more than willing to help you with your hebrew :)

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and motion of physical objects when subjected to forces or displacements. It is divided into two main branches: classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

2. What are the basic principles of mechanics?

The basic principles of mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, which state that objects will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by a net force, and that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics deals with macroscopic objects and their motion, while quantum mechanics deals with microscopic particles and their behavior. Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion, while quantum mechanics is based on the principles of wave-particle duality and uncertainty.

4. How is mechanics used in everyday life?

Mechanics is used in everyday life in various ways, such as designing and building structures, vehicles, and machines, predicting the motion of objects, and understanding the behavior of natural phenomena like weather and earthquakes. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technology and engineering.

5. What are some famous discoveries and advancements in mechanics?

Some famous discoveries and advancements in mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, the development of calculus by Newton and Leibniz, the invention of the steam engine, the laws of thermodynamics, and the theory of relativity by Einstein. Other notable advancements include the study of fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and quantum mechanics.