Initial velocity of an object colliding with another

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a ball and a bullet launched at the same time. The goal is to find the initial velocity of the bullet in order to meet the ball. Relevant equations and an attempt at a solution are provided, with a final plausible initial velocity of 68.78 m/s being calculated.
JulienB
Hi! I just started studying physics in German, and I am stuck about basic formulas partially because of the language.

1. Homework Statement

A ball is launched from the ground at a speed |vb0| = 90m/s with an angle of β = 50° to the horizontal axis x. At a distance of d = 60m is placed a canon, which shoots up perpendicularly to the horizontal axis at the same time as the ball is launched. With what initial velocity |vk0| must the bullet be shot from the canon in order to meet the ball?
Both the ball and the bullet are point-shaped and the air resistance is to be ignored. The relevant equations must be used in their vectorial form.

Homework Equations

Anything related to initial velocity and displacement from early courses of mechanics.

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks so simple that I feel ashamed to post here... I started by trying to find at what height yh the ball will be after the distance x = d, and for that purpose I used a formula from Wikipedia:
yh = y0 + d⋅tan β - (g⋅d2)/(2(v0⋅cosβ)2)
= 0 + 60⋅tan50° - (9.81⋅602)/(2(90⋅cos50°)2) = 66.23 m

Now I know the bullet is launched at the same time, but I still don't know how long it took for the ball to reach the height vh. Maybe t = d/(v0⋅cosβ) = 1.037s? That seems very short to reach 66.23m high!
I am also unsure on what formula to use to calculate the initial velocity of a vertical movement. Would someone be so kind to indicate me what formulas should be used in such a problem?Thank you very much in advance for your answers.J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JulienB.

Your time and height for the projectile look okay to me.

For the vertical projectile, write another projectile equation of motion y(t) = ? . This time there's no x-component to deal with.

Thank you very much for your answer. Would that work with the equation y = v0 ⋅ t ⋅sin 90 - (1/2)g ⋅ t2? Using this, I obtain a plausible initial velocity of 68.78 m/s.

JulienB said:
Thank you very much for your answer. Would that work with the equation y = v0 ⋅ t ⋅sin 90 - (1/2)g ⋅ t2? Using this, I obtain a plausible initial velocity of 68.78 m/s.
Sure, that works. Or you could just write directly ##y = v_o t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2##. The launch angle of 90° is implied if it is vertical, and you have 1-dimensional motion with acceleration.

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity refers to the speed and direction at which an object is moving at the beginning of a collision.

2. How is initial velocity calculated?

Initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in the object's position by the time it takes for the collision to occur.

3. Why is initial velocity important in collisions?

Initial velocity is important in collisions because it affects the amount of force exerted on the objects involved and can determine the outcome of the collision.

4. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the collision. In this case, the negative sign indicates the direction of the velocity.

5. Is initial velocity the same as final velocity?

No, initial velocity and final velocity are not the same. Initial velocity is the speed and direction at the beginning of a collision, while final velocity is the speed and direction at the end of the collision.