Another proof that local realism does not work

In summary: Basically local realism presumes the space around and between particles is always there, while quantum mechanics assumes the particle can exist without space. This leads to different predictions about the behavior of particles when measured.
jk22
I fell upon another discord between realism and quantum mechanics while studying Bell's theorem :

If we consider measurement of 2 spin 1/2 particles, with operators A, A', B and B' which are set respectively at 0, 45, 90 and 135 degrees (like in Bell experiment), we have [tex] A=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0\\0 & -1\end{array}\right)[/tex], and so on, and call the products

[tex]C_1=A\otimes B,C_2=A\otimes B', C_3=A'\otimes B, C_4=A'\otimes B'[/tex]

then local realism implies [tex] C_4=C_1 C_2 C_3[/tex]

whereas quantum mechanics predicts [tex]C_4=-C_1 C_2 C_3[/tex]

However I thought about this difference :

it's not because the operator has a minus sign in quantum mechanics that the result also has a minus sign, since QM gives only the probabilities, so that in fact QM could give the same result as local realism but not all the time.

Hence this does not prove that QM is not explainable in term of local realism ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are saying is that if the numbers line up then QM explainable by LR. That is like saying if I create a strategy for the stock market and it works one day, that it will continue to work for all other days. This is simply false.

The problem with local realism is that considers space as always being attached to the problem. It's always there. It is obvious that we humans like space (we live in it), but trying to think about all physics in the x, y, z is doomed to fail.

I'm interested in what you and others have to say about this (whether you agree/disagree or have other comments).

euquila said:
The problem with local realism is that considers space as always being attached to the problem.

I have zero idea what you mean by that.

The problem with local realism is Bells Theorem and its experimental support.

Thanks
Bill

Hmmm one of the more unintelligible things I've said. Thank you for clarifying.

1. What is local realism?

Local realism is a concept in physics that suggests that objects and events in the physical world have definite properties and exist independently of observation or measurement. It also assumes that these properties can only be influenced by nearby objects or events, not by distant ones.

2. Why is local realism important in physics?

Local realism is important in physics because it is a fundamental principle that has been used to explain various phenomena and make predictions in the physical world. It has also been a basis for many scientific theories and experiments.

3. What is the proof that local realism does not work?

The proof that local realism does not work is based on various experiments, such as the Bell test, which have consistently shown violations of local realism. These experiments suggest that there are correlations between distant objects or events that cannot be explained by local interactions alone.

4. How does this proof impact our understanding of the physical world?

This proof challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world and suggests that there may be hidden variables or non-local interactions at play. It also has implications for concepts such as causality and determinism in physics.

5. What are the implications of this proof for future research?

The proof that local realism does not work opens up new possibilities for research in physics, such as exploring the role of entanglement and non-local interactions in the physical world. It also highlights the need for further investigation into the nature of reality and the fundamental laws of the universe.