Another Second Order ODE Problem (ML Boas, Ch 8, Sec 7, Prob 5)

In summary: If this doesn't seem to help, try a different substitution, and if that doesn't seem to help, try a different substitution, and if that doesn't seem to help... you see where this is going.
agnimusayoti
Homework Statement
The differential equation of a hanging chain supported at its ends is:
$$y"^2=k^2(1+y'^2)$$.
Solve the equation to find the shape of the chain.
Relevant Equations
One can modify this kind of ODE problem by changing variable y' to p. So, by the chain rule, $$y"=p \frac{dp}{dy}$$.
With the new variable, I got:
$$p^2 (p'_y)^{2}=k^2(1+p^2)$$ where ##p'_y## is ##\frac{dp}{dy}##.
I modified the equation so the variable p and dp can be separated from dy. Here what I got:
$$\frac{p}{\sqrt{p^2+1}} dp=k dy$$
I substitute ##p^2+1=u## so I got
$$\sqrt{u}=ky+c_1$$
Back substitution
$$1+p^2=k^2y^2 +(c_2)^2$$
$$p^2=k^2y^2+((c_2)^2-1)$$

My Question, can I eliminate arbitrary constant so I get:
$$1+p^2=k^2y^2$$
It seems easier to solve in terms of p as dy/dx. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
agnimusayoti said:
I substitute ##p^2+1=u## so I got
$$\sqrt{u}=ky+c_1$$
Back substitution
$$1+p^2=k^2y^2 +(c_2)^2$$
Are you really saying that ##(a+b)^2 = a^2+b^2##?

It should be ##(a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2##Oh there is a missing term namely ##2kc_1y##. Wait I will make a correction

But the form is become more messy I think. Here what I got:
$$p=\frac{dy}{dx}=\sqrt{k^2y^2+2kc_1y+c_2}$$.
This is actually a separable equation. Define ##2kc_1 = c_3## so I got:
$$\frac{dy}{\sqrt{k^2y^2+c_3y+c_2}}=dx$$
How I solve this separable equation, especially on integrating right side of the equation?

agnimusayoti said:
Relevant Equations:: One can modify this kind of ODE problem by changing variable y' to p. So, by the chain rule, $$y"=p \frac{dp}{dy}$$.

With the new variable, I got:
$$p^2 (p'_y)^{2}=k^2(1+p^2)$$ where ##p'_y## is ##\frac{dp}{dy}##.

Could you explain how ##(y')^2## becomes ##p^2## on the right-hand side of your differential equation?

Haborix said:
Could you explain how ##(y')^2## becomes ##p^2## on the right-hand side of your differential equation?
Because p=y'.

• Haha
Likes Haborix
agnimusayoti said:
How I solve this separable equation, especially on integrating right side of the equation?
A change of variable gets rid of the c3y term, then you can use a trig substitution to get rid of the square root.

haruspex said:
Because p=y'.
Oh boy, I'm losing it. The expression for ##y''## looked odd to me and not equivalent to ##y'=p##.

agnimusayoti said:
Homework Statement:: The differential equation of a hanging chain supported at its ends is:
$$y"^2=k^2(1+y'^2)$$.
Solve the equation to find the shape of the chain.
Relevant Equations:: One can modify this kind of ODE problem by changing variable y' to p.

This is already first-order and separable in [itex]u = y'[/itex]: [tex]
u' = \pm|k| \sqrt{1 + u^2}.[/tex]

There are two tricks to solve this ODE. The first is to notice that
$$(y^{\prime\prime})^2 = k^2\big[1+(y^\prime)^2\big]$$
is nothing more than a 1st-order ODE in ##y^\prime##. Thus, let ##p = y^\prime## (and thus ##p^\prime = y^{\prime\prime}##) and the original ODE becomes
$$(p^\prime)^2 = k^2(1+p^2).$$
The second (and last trick) is to differentiate this ODE w.r.t. the independant variable ##x##, the result of which reads
$$2p^\prime p^{\prime\prime} = 2k^2pp^\prime.$$
This (after at bit of cleaning) is simply the familiar homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE
$$p^{\prime\prime} - k^2p = 0$$
to which e.g. ##\cosh(kx)## and ##\sinh(kx)## constitute a complete set of solutions.

Last edited:
Likes agnimusayoti, BvU and haruspex
William Crawford said:
There are two tricks to solve this ODE. The first is to notice that
$$(y^{\prime\prime})^2 = k^2\big[1+(y^\prime)^2\big]$$
is nothing more than a 1st-order ODE in ##y^\prime##. Thus, let ##p = y^\prime## (and thus ##p^\prime = y^{\prime\prime}##) and the original ODE becomes
$$(p^\prime)^2 = k^2(1+p^2).$$
The second (and last trick) is to differentiate this ODE w.r.t. the independant variable ##x##, the result of which reads
$$2p^\prime p^{\prime\prime} = 2k^2pp^\prime.$$
This (after at bit of cleaning) is simply the familiar homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE
$$p^{\prime\prime} - k^2p = 0$$
to which e.g. ##\cosh(kx)## and ##\sinh(kx)## constitute a complete set of solutions.
Very neat.
But I feel it is also valuable to address any issues with the actual method attempted; in this case, how to continue.

agnimusayoti said:

You have too many constants; they aren't all independent. It's also best not to expand quadratics which you are about to integrate, since the first thing you'll end up doing is reversing that in order to complete the square.

So: From [tex]
\sqrt{1 + p^2} = k(y + c_1)[/tex] you know that [itex]c_1 = k^{-1} - y_0[/itex] where [itex]y_0[/itex] is the minimum height of the chain, which is attained at [itex]x = x_0[/itex]. Hence [tex]
k(y + c_1) = k(y - y_0) + 1[/tex] and [tex]
p^2 = \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2 = (k(y - y_0)^2 + 1)^2 - 1.[/tex] Now the subsitution [itex]k(y - y_0) + 1 = \cosh(u)[/itex] suggests itself, since [itex]\sinh^2 u = \cosh^2 u - 1[/itex] and [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\cosh u = u'\sinh u.[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes agnimusayoti

1. What is a second order ODE problem?

A second order ODE problem is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It can be used to model physical systems and phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between a first and second order ODE?

A first order ODE involves only the first derivative of a function, while a second order ODE involves both the first and second derivatives. This means that a second order ODE is more complex and can represent more complicated systems compared to a first order ODE.

3. How do you solve a second order ODE problem?

The general method for solving a second order ODE problem is to first rewrite it in standard form, which involves isolating the highest order derivative term. Then, depending on the type of ODE (linear, non-linear, homogeneous, etc.), different methods such as substitution, variation of parameters, or power series can be used to find a solution.

4. What is the importance of second order ODE problems in science?

Second order ODE problems are important in science because they allow us to mathematically model and understand complex physical systems and phenomena. They are used in a wide range of fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics to predict and analyze the behavior of systems.

5. What are some real-life examples of second order ODE problems?

Some real-life examples of second order ODE problems include the motion of a swinging pendulum, the oscillations of a spring-mass system, and the behavior of a vibrating guitar string. These phenomena can be described by second order ODEs and their solutions can provide valuable insights and predictions.