Another Solid of Revolution problem

In summary, using the shell method to solve the problem results in a different solution than that shown in the solution manual, which is in turn based on the first integration step being 2\pi\int_2^8 (\frac{1}{x})dx.
MacLaddy1
I'm finding myself stuck again. This time it is more in the set up then the solving.

Find the volume of the following solid of revolution.

The region bounded by \(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{x^2}\), y=0, x=2, x=8, and revolved about the y-axis.

I am trying to use the shell method to solve this, as it seems the best scenario in this situation. This is my set-up,

\(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_2^8 (radius)(height)dx\)
\(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_2^8 (x+2)(\frac{1}{x^2})dx\)
\(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_2^8 (\frac{1}{x}+\frac{2}{x^2})dx\)

Now here is where I am getting into a snag. Following this through I am coming up with a completely different solution to the manual, and the solution manual is showing the first integration step as \(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_2^8 (\frac{1}{x})dx\), but I can't figure out how they are coming up with that integral. It is showing a final solution of \(\displaystyle \pi\ln(16)\)

Any help, or a kick in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Mac

Physics news on Phys.org
MacLaddy said:
[snip]
Now here is where I am getting into a snag. Following this through I am coming up with a completely different solution to the manual, and the solution manual is showing the first integration step as \(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_2^8 (\frac{1}{x})dx\), but I can't figure out how they are coming up with that integral. It is showing a final solution of \(\displaystyle \pi\ln(16)\)

Mac
[/snip]

That's because the radius of your solid of revolution is just $x$, not $x+2$. $x$ is always measured from the $y$-axis (i.e. $x=0$), so there's no need to add 2 to this value; in this case, $x$ just happens to be between 2 and 8.

On the other hand, the radius would be $x+2$ if you were revolving the region about the line $x=-2$.

I hope this clarifies things!

MacLaddy said:
I'm finding myself stuck again. This time it is more in the set up then the solving.

Find the volume of the following solid of revolution.

The region bounded by \(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{x^2}\), y=0, x=2, x=8, and revolved about the y-axis.

I am trying to use the shell method to solve this, as it seems the best scenario in this situation. This is my set-up,

\(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_2^8 (radius)(height)dx\)
\(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_2^8 (x+2)(\frac{1}{x^2})dx\)
\(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_2^8 (\frac{1}{x}+\frac{2}{x^2})dx\)

Mac

Where did a radius of \(x+2\) come from? Why not \(x\)?

CB

Thanks Chris and Captain for the replies.

I had a hunch that this is where my misunderstanding was. So when using the shell method, and it is rotated directly among one of the axis', then the radius can be considered x (or y), and the start and stop point is the limits for my integration?

That explanation probably isn't very good, but I think I understand. When using the disc or washer method then the radius is found more similarly to what I was doing? I think I'm getting confused between methods here. I probably need more practice.

Thanks guys.

Mac

Related to Another Solid of Revolution problem

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. Common examples of solids of revolution include cylinders, cones, and spheres.

2. What is another solid of revolution problem?

Another solid of revolution problem is a math problem that involves finding the volume or surface area of a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. These problems often require the use of calculus and integration to solve.

3. What is the process for solving a solid of revolution problem?

The process for solving a solid of revolution problem involves first identifying the shape that is being rotated, the axis of rotation, and the limits of integration. Then, using the appropriate formula, the volume or surface area can be calculated by integrating over the limits of rotation.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving solid of revolution problems?

Some common mistakes when solving solid of revolution problems include incorrectly identifying the shape being rotated, using the wrong formula or integration method, and forgetting to include units in the final answer.

5. How are solid of revolution problems used in real-world applications?

Solid of revolution problems are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank or the surface area of a baseball. They are also used in engineering and design to determine the dimensions of objects with rotational symmetry, such as pipes and gears.