Another thermal expansion problem

In summary, the question asks how much the height of a liquid column in a glass tube will change when the tube is heated from 20.0000*C to 30.0000*C. The length of the tube is given as 1.2800000 and the glass linear expansion coefficient is 1e-5/K while the liquid volume expansion coefficient is 4e-5/K. After discussing the significance of the tube's length and radius, it is determined that the change in length of the tube and liquid must be calculated separately using the respective expansion coefficients. The final answer is determined to be ΔL = 0.14mm.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

A vertical glass tube of length L = 1.2800000 is half-filled with a liquid at 20.0000* C. How much will the height of the liquid column change when the tube is heated to 30.0000*C?

Glass linear expansion co = 1e-5/K
Liquid volume expansion co = 4e-5/K

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why the length of the tube matters other than as giving me the initial height of the liquid. Shouldn't I be given the radius of the tube instead? How far the length of the tube grows has absolutely no effect on how much the height of the liquid changes, but the space within the tube does..

Physics news on Phys.org
The circumference of the tube will change. Hope this helps

The length of the tube doesn't matter nor does its radius (cancels out). It looks like you will need to calculate the Δ length the tube and liquid by ΔV/ΔA for each independently. Remember that γ=2α and β=3α. I am guessing that ΔV/ΔA for liquid will be greater than ΔV/ΔA for the tube.

I got ΔL = 0.14mm. Do you have an answer?

I would approach this problem by first calculating the initial height of the liquid column using the given length of the tube. Then, I would use the coefficients of linear and volume expansion for glass and the liquid to calculate the change in height of the liquid column. The change in temperature from 20.0000*C to 30.0000*C would also need to be taken into account in the calculations. The length of the tube does play a role in this problem as it determines the initial height of the liquid column, but the radius of the tube would also need to be known in order to calculate the exact change in height. Overall, the problem can be solved by using the relevant equations and taking all necessary factors into consideration.

Related to Another thermal expansion problem

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to change in shape, area, and volume in response to a change in temperature.

What causes thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is caused by the movement of particles within a substance. When particles are heated, they gain kinetic energy and move more, leading to an increase in volume.

How does thermal expansion affect materials?

Thermal expansion can cause materials to expand or contract, which can lead to changes in dimensions, stress, and strength. This can be important in engineering and construction applications.

What are some examples of thermal expansion?

Common examples of thermal expansion include the expansion of metal bridges in hot weather, the cracking of roads due to extreme temperature changes, and the use of bimetallic strips in thermostats.

How can thermal expansion be controlled?

Thermal expansion can be controlled by using materials with low expansion coefficients, incorporating expansion joints in structures, and designing for temperature changes. It can also be compensated for by using materials with opposite thermal expansion properties.