Answer verification Series RLC, Reactance, Voltages, Current

In summary: The student is having trouble with homework equations. The student attempts to solve the homework equations but has difficulty. The student finds the answer to the homework equations through a process of trial and error. The student is grateful for the help of the expert.
Ryan Walkowski

Homework Statement

All relevant data and variables are included in the image. The questions are also included in it.

index3.jpg

Homework Equations

My questsion is just verification. I have attempted all the asked questions on the paper. Its frustrating as the papers don't include answers to check them nor do i have access to my lecturer for another couple of days. Thus verification on what I am doing is difficult.

The Attempt at a Solution

index4.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your current angle (polar form) is not correct. When you divide polar complex values the denominator angle is subtracted from the numerator angle.

Otherwise your methodology looks sound.

Are you able to tell me what the correct answer for that part is then. So i can visualise my mistake. As the way i see it is the numerator angle is 0° and the denominator angle is -2.86° those subtracted gives me an angle of -2.86° but it just dawns on me as i write this that a set of brackets might of helped me (0) - (-2.86) = 2.86° Thats pretty basic math. And yet zero still gets me

Yup. You fixed it! :smile:

Something else maybe you can enlighten me on. The paper that gives me all the variables shows Xc as -j40 now i was taking that complex number too literal and for long enough when i was calculating VC as in (Vc = Is x Xc) i was at first using the -j40 as a literal value for Xc so -40. I am right in saying that it is infact a whole number 40 you use rather than the complex form. I have pages of j notation but its a struggle to grasp when your working by yourself.

Technically, -j40 Ohms is the value of the impedance for the capacitor. It's a complex number that is purely imaginary (no real part).
The reactance of that capacitor is 40 Ohms, a real number which is the magnitude of the impedance.

Reactance and impedance are thus closely related. Typically formulas that use reactance values take care to use signs or operators (+ or -) in the expressions to handle the relationship between them, and separate the reactive parts from the real resistance parts, combining them using vector style math (square root of sum of squares style addition). On the other hand, formulas that use complex impedance just use standard complex arithmetic and no special considerations are necessary; Just write your equations as though everything is "resistance" and do the complex arithmetic.

Personally I dislike the use of "X" variable names for what are impedances because it can lead to confusion. Conventionally X represents reactance and Z impedance, so I would have called the impedances ##Z_C## and ##Z_L## with the understanding that they are complex values.

I have to agree with you on the use of X and instead Z but when i tried to submit that on a previous paper as quite honestly it made more sense to me i was told not to use them. The lecturers are rigid and very unhelpful. They throw big blocks of paperwork with no explained examples. I was asked to work out the power of something at the very start i used P=I2R and got zero marks as they were looking for P=VI when both are equally correct. Anyway thanks for your help its certainly helped!

1. What is the purpose of an RLC series circuit?

An RLC series circuit is used to analyze and understand the behavior of a circuit consisting of a resistor, inductor, and capacitor in series. It helps in calculating the various voltages and currents in the circuit and can be used to design and troubleshoot different electronic systems.

2. What is reactance in an RLC series circuit?

Reactance is a measure of the opposition that an inductor or capacitor provides to the flow of alternating current in an RLC series circuit. It is measured in ohms and is dependent on the frequency of the current and the values of the inductor and capacitor in the circuit.

3. How do I calculate the total impedance of an RLC series circuit?

The total impedance of an RLC series circuit is the total opposition that the circuit offers to the flow of current. It is calculated by adding the resistance, inductive reactance, and capacitive reactance in a series. The formula for total impedance in an RLC series circuit is Z = √(R² + (XL - XC)²), where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance.

4. What are the voltage and current relationships in an RLC series circuit?

In an RLC series circuit, the voltage and current are in phase with each other. This means that they reach their maximum and minimum values at the same time. Additionally, the voltage across each component in the circuit is determined by the reactance of that component, while the current is determined by the total impedance of the circuit.

5. How can I use the RLC series circuit to filter out unwanted frequencies?

An RLC series circuit can be used as a filter by choosing appropriate values for the inductor and capacitor. By varying the inductance and capacitance, the circuit can be tuned to allow only certain frequencies to pass through while blocking others. This is known as a bandpass filter and is commonly used in electronic devices to remove unwanted noise or signals.