Transient Response RLC: Calculating Vc(t) for a Series Circuit | 9121 Problem

In summary, the conversation revolved around deriving an expression for the voltage across a capacitor as a function of time in a series RLC circuit with given parameters. The speaker attempted to solve the problem and noted that the calculated plot matched the simulated plot, which may vary depending on the accuracy of the simulation program. The conversation concluded with the suggestion to adjust the simulation time step size for better accuracy.
gmm
9121. Problem
circuit-jpg.107526.jpg

If we assume that the initial voltage, Vs, is equal to zero, and it rises to five volts at t = 0, derive an expression for the voltage across the capacitor as a function of time. That is, calculate Vc(t)

2. Homework Equations
formulas-jpg.107528.jpg

this is a series RLC so I'm trying to calculate for Vc(t). Also I used α=R/2L

3. Attempt at solving
L= 120 *10^-6 H
C=0.01 *10^-6 F
R= 33 Ω
ωo=1/√(120*.01*10^-12)=912,870
α=33/(2*120*10^-6)= 137,500
α<ωo ∴ this is under-damped
ωd=√(912,870^2 - 137,500^2)=902,456
D1=(0-5)V... because voltage across capacitor at t=0 is 0V
D2=(0 + 137500[0 - 5])/902456= -0.7618... the current and the voltage through the capacitor at t=0 are both zero, because the inductor does not allow the current to change instantaneously.
With this I built my Total
Vc(t) = e^(-137500t)*(-5cos(902456t) - .7618sin(902456t)) + 5

I then simulated the circuit in Multisim with a square wave voltage source of 0 to 5 V.
the transient analysis shows that when the voltage source goes from 0 to 5V the peak voltage at the capacitor goes up to about 8.5V Here is the plot, and a zoom into the first pulse.
vc-png.107529.png

vczoom-png.107533.png

The red is the Source voltage and the blue is the capacitor voltage.
when I plot my Vc(t) it does not resemble this, it gives a lower peak capacitor voltage, Did i mess up in some of the parameters?? Am I missing something?
graph-png.107532.png

Attached Files:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculated plot looks fine to me. I'd be more dubious abut the Multisim accuracy. Simulators are great tools but you need to be a bit careful with them when dealing with high speed transients. See if you can find a simulator menu where you can specify the maximum simulation time step size and play with the value a bit. See what effect it has on the waveform peaks.

Likes donpacino
gneill said:
Your calculated plot looks fine to me. I'd be more dubious abut the Multisim accuracy. Simulators are great tools but you need to be a bit careful with them when dealing with high speed transients. See if you can find a simulator menu where you can specify the maximum simulation time step size and play with the value a bit. See what effect it has on the waveform peaks.
Ah yes. I adjusted my time step size and re-simulated now it's pretty much identical to my model. Thanks qneill

1. What is the RLC circuit and its significance in transient response?

The RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). It is significant in transient response because it can store energy in an electric field (capacitor) and a magnetic field (inductor), and the behavior of the circuit is affected by the values of these components.

2. What is the transient response of an RLC circuit?

The transient response of an RLC circuit is the behavior of the circuit when it is switched on or off, or when there is a sudden change in the input voltage. It is characterized by transient current and voltage oscillations that eventually settle down to a steady-state value.

3. How do you calculate the time constant of an RLC circuit?

The time constant of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula τ = L/R, where L is the inductance in henries and R is the resistance in ohms. This time constant represents the time it takes for the transient response to reach 63.2% of its steady-state value.

4. What is the difference between overdamped, underdamped, and critically damped RLC circuits?

An overdamped RLC circuit takes a longer time to reach its steady-state value, while an underdamped RLC circuit experiences oscillations before settling down. A critically damped RLC circuit reaches its steady-state value without any oscillations and in the shortest time possible.

5. How do you check your work when analyzing the transient response of an RLC circuit?

To check your work, you can use simulation software or a circuit simulator to compare your results with the expected values. You can also use mathematical calculations and equations to verify your calculations. It is also helpful to double-check your circuit diagram and make sure all the values and components are correct.