Answering Buoyancy Questions: Are My Answers Correct?

• Thread starter nickname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the water level rises when the ice cube melts and when the anchor is thrown into the pond. This is because the melted ice and the anchor both displace their own mass of water, causing the water level to rise. However, in the case of the boat with the anchor, the water level will actually fall because the boat is no longer supporting the weight of the anchor.
nickname
I have answered the following questions, but I will like to know if my answers are correct. Any help will be appreciate it.

1) one ice cube is placed in a glass of water. When the ice cube melts, does the water level rise, fall or stay the same.
my answer: the water level rises.

2) a person is sitting in a boat in a small pond. They throw an anchor overboard so that the anchor sinks to the bottom of the pond. Does the water level in pond rise, fall, or stay the same.
My answer: water level rises

3) Carefully explain your answer to the previous questions:
For question 1: the ice melt and becomes liquid water so there is a greater volume of water (water level rises)

For question 2: Using the buoyancy force as description, an object will sink if it has a higher density than the surrounding fluid, so that its weight is larger than the buoyant force. The anchor is going down and the water level is pushed up.

Are my answers correct?

Thank you and happy holidays!

Physics news on Phys.org
No I'm afraid that you are wrong in both cases.
Remember that a FLOATING object displaces it's own mass of water.
As the ice cube melts the amount of water it displaces will reduce, by the amount of water it produces.
For the boat question imagine that the anchor is hung over the side of the boat and then released, what happens to the boat when it is no longer supporting the mass of the anchor?

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is submerged in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How do I calculate buoyancy?

To calculate buoyancy, you need to know the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the density of the object. You can then use the formula Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Why is buoyancy important?

Buoyancy is important because it allows objects to float in a fluid. It is also used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as designing ships and submarines.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy because it determines the amount of volume that is submerged in the fluid. For example, a flat object will have less buoyancy than a curved object with the same volume because it has less surface area in contact with the fluid.

5. What factors can affect buoyancy?

The factors that can affect buoyancy include the density of the fluid, the volume and density of the object, and the shape of the object. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also have an impact on buoyancy.