Ansys Maxwell Simulation - Torque Fluctuating

Kahraman
Hello everyone
I simulated the eddy current brake of 2 1000-turn coils with 5 amp excitation in Ansys Maxwell, but the torque fluctuates. How can I overcome this problem?
If you want to see it in more detail, you can download the project from the link.
""
(Sorry for any language errors)
1.png2.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the brake disc mechanically vibrating? If so, make it stiffer.

Tom.G said:
Is the brake disc mechanically vibrating? If so, make it stiffer.
The disc rotates from its center, I don't think there is anything that could cause vibration.

Since it's a simulation and really rotating from the center, then it must be a numerical error.

Try smaller time steps (probably the easiest).

Also, the disk diameter may need to be either an odd or even multiple of the grid resolution; depends on whether the software treats Points as vertices or centroids.

1. Why does torque fluctuate in Ansys Maxwell simulations?

Torque fluctuations in Ansys Maxwell simulations are often due to the discretization of the geometry, mesh irregularities, or the inherent physical properties of the modeled system. Factors such as the resolution of the mesh, the alignment and interaction of magnetic fields, and the precision of material properties can significantly influence the results. Ensuring high-quality meshing and accurate material modeling can help reduce these fluctuations.

2. How can I minimize torque fluctuations in my Ansys Maxwell simulations?

To minimize torque fluctuations, focus on refining the mesh around critical areas where magnetic fields change rapidly, such as near air gaps or sharp edges of components. Additionally, increasing the overall mesh density and using higher-order elements can improve the accuracy of the simulation. It is also crucial to verify the physical accuracy of the input parameters, like material properties and boundary conditions.

3. What impact do solver settings have on torque fluctuations in Ansys Maxwell?

The choice of solver and its settings can significantly impact the results of a simulation. Using a transient solver with appropriate time-stepping methods can help capture dynamic effects more accurately, thereby reducing torque fluctuations. Adjusting convergence criteria and employing adaptive time-stepping techniques where the solver adjusts the time step based on the solution’s changing dynamics can also lead to more stable and accurate results.

4. How do I interpret torque ripple observed in simulation results?

Torque ripple refers to the cyclic variation of torque output in a rotating machine and is typically observed in the simulation results as fluctuations. It is important to understand whether these ripples are due to physical phenomena, such as cogging torque in electric motors, or if they stem from numerical artifacts of the simulation process. Analyzing torque over several cycles and comparing with theoretical predictions or experimental data can help in interpreting these results accurately.

5. Can the choice of materials affect the torque fluctuation in Ansys Maxwell simulations?

Yes, the choice of materials can greatly influence the behavior of magnetic fields and thus affect torque fluctuations. Materials with different magnetic permeabilities, electrical conductivities, and other electromagnetic properties can alter how magnetic fields are distributed and interact within the device. Accurately modeling these materials and understanding their properties is crucial for predicting torque behavior and reducing unwanted fluctuations.