ANSYS - Radiation of a satellite - Surface-to-surface or to-ambient

In summary, the conversation is about performing a thermal analysis of a satellite subsystem and the difficulties faced with implementing it on ANSYS. The person has calculated values for solar flux, albedo, and IR and applied them to different areas of the radome and support. They have also inserted "radiation" to ambient in most exterior geometries and defined the temperature as Tspace = 3 K. The issue arises when trying to insert a surface-to-surface radiation load on a geometric entity that already has a radiation load to ambient. The proposed solution is to define all geometries as radiation to ambient and use Matlab to calculate the heat flux based on estimated view factors.
Ricardo Gomes
Hi all,

I'm performing a thermal analysis of a satellite subsystem (antenna). However, I'm having some issues relating to the model that I'm implementing on ANSYS.

I've already computed the values for the solar flux, albedo and IR that the satellite is subject and I've applied it to different areas of the radome and support, together with the heat generated by the antenna.

Then, I inserted "radiation" to ambient in almost all geometries that are in the exterior of the satellite. I defined the temperature as Tspace = 3 K. After, I inserted a correlation "surface-to-surface" between certain geometries (that view each other), but since I've already applied on that geometries a correlation "to ambient" it does compute.
By this, I mean can I apply a Surface-to-Surface Radiation load to a geometric entity that is already attached to another Radiation load, in this case to ambient?

My solution, yet to discuss, it to define all the geometries radiation to the ambient, and compute in Matlab, and based on estimated View factors of each surface, determine the heat flux each one will receive form the coupled surface. Is this the right way to go?Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I should have thought the surface-to-surface action was small. For a radiating object, it is only the percentage of sky obstructed by another surface which counts.

1. What is ANSYS?

ANSYS is a computer-aided engineering software used for simulations and analyses in various fields, such as mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering.

2. What is radiation and why is it important for satellites?

Radiation is the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves. It is important for satellites because they are exposed to various forms of radiation in space, such as solar radiation, which can affect their performance and overall lifespan.

3. What is the difference between surface-to-surface and surface-to-ambient radiation?

Surface-to-surface radiation refers to the transfer of heat between two solid surfaces, such as the surface of a satellite and its surrounding environment. Surface-to-ambient radiation, on the other hand, refers to the transfer of heat between a surface and the surrounding atmosphere or space.

4. How does ANSYS simulate radiation of a satellite?

ANSYS uses a finite element method to simulate radiation of a satellite. This involves dividing the satellite into smaller elements and using mathematical equations to calculate the heat transfer between these elements and their surroundings.

5. Can ANSYS accurately predict the radiation effects on a satellite?

Yes, ANSYS has been extensively validated and is known for its accuracy in predicting the radiation effects on satellites. However, it is important to note that ANSYS is a tool and the accuracy of its predictions also depends on the input and assumptions made by the user.