Ansys Workbench Fracture and Cracking Behavior using Solid65

In summary: Please let me know if you have any further questions. In summary, to simulate concrete material under three-point bending in Ansys Workbench 16.0, you can use Solid65 material and APDL commands to define its properties. For modeling fibers, you can use the ACP module. And for verification, you can input your experimental results using the Engineering Data feature.
jackhero
I am trying to simulate concrete material under three-point bending in Ansys Workbench 16.0. The concrete beam (unnotched) will be under displacement load at the center while as the both ends will be fixed. The design geometry is simple which I have already completed. I ran the simulation using Concrete material from Engineering Data but the results are not as per experiment. Since concrete has no reinforcement so it should fracture after certain load. I searched on internet and found that better to use Solid65 for such fracture and cracking behavior. Could someone please guide me on the following queries;

1. How could I enter Solid65 in Ansys workbench? What I found out is to use APDL commands to replace the current selected material with Solid65? Can someone please share APDL commands for Solid65 concrete?

2. Second simulation, will be similar to the first one but in this one there will be addition of polymeric fibers in the concrete beam. So in this case there will not be brittle fracture behavior of concrete. Instead there will be beam bending (ductility) and development and propagation of cracks on the beam. I think Solid65 will be suitable to use as concrete since it can have cracking behavior. But could someone suggest me how can I model fibers into the concrete beam? I am having problem in modelling fibers random distribution within the concrete beam in Ansys Workbench.

3. For both simulations, I have experimental results and I would like to verify using Ansys simulation. Should there be any place where I shall enter all those experimental results in Ansys before running the simulations?

Hope to hear from experts soon.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
for reaching out for assistance with your simulation in Ansys Workbench 16.0. Let me provide some guidance on your queries:

1. To enter Solid65 in Ansys Workbench, you can use APDL commands to replace the current selected material with Solid65. Here is an example of the APDL commands for Solid65 concrete:

MP,EX,1,200000 ! Define the elastic modulus of the material
MP,PRXY,1,0.2 ! Define the Poisson's ratio of the material
MP,RHO,1,2400 ! Define the density of the material
MP,ALPX,1,1.2E-5 ! Define the coefficient of thermal expansion of the material
MP,ALPY,1,1.2E-5
MP,ALPZ,1,1.2E-5
MP,DAMP,1,0.002 ! Define the damping coefficient of the material
MP,CMOD,1,2.5E-7 ! Define the maximum compressive strain of the material
MP,TENS,1,0.1 ! Define the maximum tensile strain of the material
MP,DELT,1,0.5 ! Define the tension softening slope of the material
MP,DELC,1,0.5 ! Define the compression softening slope of the material
MP,DELM,1,0.5 ! Define the fracture energy of the material
MP,FRACT,1,0.5 ! Define the fracture toughness of the material
MP,SOL,1,65 ! Define the material type as Solid65

You can also refer to the Ansys Help documentation for more information on using Solid65 material in your simulation.

2. To model fibers in the concrete beam, you can use the Composite Preppost (ACP) module in Ansys Workbench. ACP allows you to create complex composite structures by defining the fiber properties, orientation, and distribution within the material. You can refer to the Ansys Help documentation for more information on using ACP in your simulation.

3. Yes, you can enter your experimental results in Ansys before running the simulations. Ansys Workbench has a feature called "Engineering Data" where you can input experimental data for comparison with your simulation results. You can also use this feature to calibrate your material properties for better accuracy in your simulation.

I hope this helps you with your simulation in Ansys Work

What is Ansys Workbench Fracture and Cracking Behavior using Solid65?

Ansys Workbench Fracture and Cracking Behavior using Solid65 is a software tool used for simulating and analyzing the behavior of materials under fracture and cracking conditions. It is a part of the Ansys Workbench platform and is commonly used in engineering and scientific research.

What is the Solid65 element in Ansys Workbench Fracture and Cracking Behavior?

The Solid65 element is a finite element type used for modeling the behavior of 3D solid structures. It is specifically designed for simulating fracture and cracking behavior and is based on the concept of continuum damage mechanics.

What types of materials can be simulated using Ansys Workbench Fracture and Cracking Behavior using Solid65?

Ansys Workbench Fracture and Cracking Behavior using Solid65 can simulate a wide range of materials, including metals, composites, ceramics, and polymers. It is also capable of simulating the behavior of materials with different fracture behaviors, such as brittle, ductile, or mixed mode.

What are the key features of Ansys Workbench Fracture and Cracking Behavior using Solid65?

Ansys Workbench Fracture and Cracking Behavior using Solid65 offers a variety of features, including advanced meshing capabilities, automatic contact detection, and robust fracture and crack propagation algorithms. It also has a user-friendly interface and can handle large and complex models efficiently.

What are some common applications of Ansys Workbench Fracture and Cracking Behavior using Solid65?

Ansys Workbench Fracture and Cracking Behavior using Solid65 is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering for predicting the failure and durability of structures. It is also used in research and development for studying the fracture behavior of new materials and designs.