Coupled Thermal-structural analysis in ANSYS Workbench

In summary, the model is underconstrained and strange movement of the rotors and stators is observed.
davidfam
Hi all,
I'm currently working on my bachelor's thesis in mechanical engineering. I must simulate a brake model, which consist of 1 rotor and 1 stator. The rotor rotate around z-axis and the stator move along z-axis. When pressure is on stator placed. The stator and rotor will be pressed together.
model.jpg

i used Coupled Thermal-structural analysis in ANSYS Workbench with solid226, but the result seemed to be not so good since the min Temperature, which appear on knots near max Temperatur of both rotor and stator is cooler than reference Temperatur (22°C) and the Total Deformation of rotor is relatively large.
temperatur_stator.jpg

temperatur_rotor.jpg

verformung_rotor.jpg

I tried to reduce Net size and timestep but without success.
Is there something wrong with my simulation? Can someone please help me. Thank you and sorry for my bad in english

Engineering news on Phys.org
What boundary conditions are you applying to the model to prevent rigid body motion?

Mech_Engineer said:
What boundary conditions are you applying to the model to prevent rigid body motion?
Thank you for your answer. Here is my boundary condition:
2017-05-02_04-25-06.jpg

In my model, i define rotor is a Revolute joint, which can only rotate around z-axis (I'm a beginner so I really confuse hier because i don't know, if this definition can prevent rigid body motion of rotor or i must apply another boundary condition. Do you have any advice?)

rotor.jpg

And i set the surface, where pressure applied on stator as remote displacement with only z component free as below:

2017-05-02_04-23-57.jpg

Thank you!

Hi all,
i have solved the problems above but now i want to simulate a real model of aircraft multi discs brake with 6 stators and 5 rotors using coupled thermo-mechanic. It looks like:
2017-05-09_02-35-11_1.jpg

Boundary conditions:
5 rotos move and rotate around z-axis
5 stators move only along z-axis
6th stator is fix
Pressure 1Mpa is applied on 1st stator
But the result is so strange due strange movement of the discs(rotors and stators) as the video below.

Can anyone pls help me. Thanks

Thank you for your advice I think maybe my problem is the definition of contact body and contact target. I defined 1st stator as contact body and 1st rotor as contact targen in 1st contact but in 2nd contact i define 1st rotor as contact body and 2nd rotor as contact target (?) ... and so on for next rotors and rotors. I will try to change it and pinball region too as you advised and tell the result tomorrow ;)

1. What is coupled thermal-structural analysis in ANSYS Workbench?

Coupled thermal-structural analysis in ANSYS Workbench is a simulation technique that allows for the simultaneous analysis of both thermal and structural behavior of a system. It takes into account the effects of temperature changes on the structural integrity of a system, and vice versa.

2. How does ANSYS Workbench perform coupled thermal-structural analysis?

ANSYS Workbench uses a direct coupling method, where the thermal and structural solvers are integrated to solve the coupled equations simultaneously. This allows for accurate and efficient analysis of the system's thermal and structural behavior.

3. What types of systems can be analyzed using coupled thermal-structural analysis in ANSYS Workbench?

Coupled thermal-structural analysis can be applied to a wide range of systems, including mechanical components, electronics, buildings and structures, and manufacturing processes. It is particularly useful for systems that experience significant temperature changes, such as engines, turbines, and heat exchangers.

4. What are the benefits of using coupled thermal-structural analysis in ANSYS Workbench?

One of the main benefits of coupled thermal-structural analysis is its ability to provide a more accurate representation of real-world behavior. It also allows for the evaluation of the effects of thermal loads on structural integrity and can aid in the optimization of designs for better performance and reliability.

5. Are there any limitations to using coupled thermal-structural analysis in ANSYS Workbench?

While coupled thermal-structural analysis is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It requires a good understanding of both thermal and structural concepts, as well as knowledge of ANSYS Workbench software. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by assumptions and simplifications made during the simulation process.