Meshing & connection issues for a beam/line solid

In summary, the speaker designed two geometries in Ansys workbench spaceclaim for static structural analysis - one for beam/line reinforcements and the other for a solid block. They encountered a weird mesh for the reinforcements, which was modeled as a beam in Spaceclaim. The mesh appeared to be okay for the block. They then converted the beam elements to Link180 via APDL command, but encountered an error during the model run. It was determined that the geometry of the reinforcement and block were not connected, despite attempting to use Share Topology. The speaker also ran a Modal Analysis, which resulted in a zero frequency. They are seeking guidance on how to resolve this issue and why they chose the "reinforcement" method for the mesh
jackhero
I designed two geometries (one for beam/line reinforcements and other second for a solid block shown below) in Ansys workbench spaceclaim for static structural analysis.
L8g7gfS

ca949e9f-a044-4f41-bd0f-a9ba00d57de7_geometry.jpeg

In Ansys workbench Mechanical, I got a weird mesh for the reinforcements which I modeled as beam in Spaceclaim (shown below in the first image). The mesh looked ok for the block (shown below in the second image along with the reinforcements).
3b806bb4-8d7a-415a-9d11-a9ba00d7358c_mesh1.jpeg

632a68c7-f37c-4ceb-ac0c-a9ba00d746aa_mesh2.jpeg

ct933KL

I converted the beam elements to Link180 via APDL command. I ran the model but I had the following error,

A solver pivot warning or error has been detected in the UX degree of freedom of node 7206 located in Design2\Beam (Circle). This is usually a result of an ill conditioned matrix possibly due to unreasonable material properties, an under constrained model, or contact related issues. Check results carefully. You may select the offending object and/or geometry via RMB on this warning in the Messages window.

I think the geometry of reinforcement (beam/line) and block (solid) are not connected. I also tried Share Topology to connect node-to-node but still the problem is present. I also ran the Modal Analysis and I had the zero frequency result.

Can someone please guide me on this issue?

Attachments

• ca949e9f-a044-4f41-bd0f-a9ba00d57de7_geometry.jpeg
    ca949e9f-a044-4f41-bd0f-a9ba00d57de7_geometry.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 916
  • 3b806bb4-8d7a-415a-9d11-a9ba00d7358c_mesh1.jpeg
    3b806bb4-8d7a-415a-9d11-a9ba00d7358c_mesh1.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 717
  • 632a68c7-f37c-4ceb-ac0c-a9ba00d746aa_mesh2.jpeg
    632a68c7-f37c-4ceb-ac0c-a9ba00d746aa_mesh2.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 725
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why are you trying the mesh "reinforcement" method in the first place? What kind of simulation are you attempting?

1. What is meshing and why is it important for beam/line solid connections?

Meshing is the process of dividing a complex geometry into smaller, simpler elements in order to create a finite element model. This is important for beam/line solid connections because it allows for more accurate analysis and simulation of the structural behavior under various loading conditions.

2. What factors can affect the quality of meshing for beam/line solid connections?

There are several factors that can affect the quality of meshing for beam/line solid connections, including element size, element type, mesh density, and boundary conditions. Improper selection of these factors can result in inaccurate results and simulation errors.

3. How can I ensure a smooth and accurate mesh for beam/line solid connections?

To ensure a smooth and accurate mesh, it is important to carefully select the element type and size, as well as the mesh density. It is also important to properly define the boundary conditions and constraints for the model. Additionally, using mesh refinement techniques and mesh quality checks can help improve the overall mesh quality.

4. Can I use the same mesh for both the beam and solid elements in my model?

It is not recommended to use the same mesh for both beam and solid elements in a model. Beam elements are typically one-dimensional and have a different stress distribution compared to solid elements, which are three-dimensional. Using separate meshes for beam and solid elements can lead to more accurate results and avoid errors.

5. How can I troubleshoot meshing and connection issues for beam/line solid connections?

If you encounter meshing and connection issues for beam/line solid connections, you can try adjusting element size and shape, changing element types, and using mesh refinement techniques. You can also check for any overlapping or disconnected elements and make sure the boundary conditions are properly defined. If the issue persists, consulting with a structural engineer or using specialized meshing software may be necessary.