ANSYS Workbench solution problem

In summary, the conversation is about a person experiencing difficulties in solving a structural analysis problem in ANSYS Workbench 15. They have created a model in Catia and imported it into Workbench, and have defined the problem properly in Mechanical. However, the solution hangs and repeats between "Preparing the mathematical model" and "Solving the mathematical model". The person wonders if this is due to the multiple parts in the model and the different contact regions applied. They have also tried using different mesh settings and load steps, but the solve still does not complete. They eventually solve the problem by deleting the mesh settings.
Elementalnature
Hi, I am carrying out a transient structural analysis of an expanding fastener in ANSYS Workbench 15. The model was created in Catia and imported into Workbench using DesignModeller. I believe I have defined my problem properly in Mechanical but it just hangs when I solve the solution. What i mean is that it repeats between "Preparing the mathematical model and Solving the mathematical model" but then the overall progress does not progress at all and its been several hours. What does preparing the mathematical model mean and why is it doing it several times? Is it doing it for all the individual parts that make up the whole model.

I have left it since morning and it just won't complete the solve. If it helps, my model is made up of seven parts. I have applied about 9 contact regions on interfacing surfaces between parts (some are frictional, others are frictionless and bonded).

I have used a coarse mesh with a relevance of 0 for the initial mesh and added 7 sizings for each part and set these sizings to an extremely fine mesh with a relevance of 100 and also set fine as the option where ever it is available.

I am using a load step of 10 with increments of 1000 Nmm every 0.1 s all the way to 1. This is applied as a ramped moment

Can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong here? Any ideas are most welcomed

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think I've solved this problem, i deleted the sizings and the solve completed

1. What is ANSYS Workbench solution problem?

ANSYS Workbench solution problem is a software tool used for engineering simulation and analysis. It allows users to create and run simulations of various physical phenomena, such as structural, thermal, electromagnetic, and fluid flow problems, in order to evaluate the performance of a product or design.

2. How does ANSYS Workbench solution problem work?

ANSYS Workbench solution problem uses the finite element method (FEM) to solve complex engineering problems. It breaks down the geometry into smaller elements and uses mathematical equations to calculate the behavior of each element. These results are then combined to provide an overall solution to the problem.

3. What are some common applications of ANSYS Workbench solution problem?

ANSYS Workbench solution problem has a wide range of applications in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, defense, energy, and healthcare. It can be used to simulate and analyze the behavior of structures, components, and systems under different operating conditions.

4. How can I learn ANSYS Workbench solution problem?

There are many resources available for learning ANSYS Workbench solution problem, including online tutorials, user guides, and training courses. ANSYS also offers certification programs for individuals and organizations seeking to demonstrate their proficiency in using the software.

5. What are the benefits of using ANSYS Workbench solution problem?

Some of the key benefits of using ANSYS Workbench solution problem include its ability to accurately model complex physical phenomena, its user-friendly interface, and its ability to save time and costs by reducing the need for physical prototyping. It also allows for optimization and parameter studies, helping to improve product performance and efficiency.