Anti-oxidants, uric acid, and evolution

In summary: Mind Trick:In summary, it appears that the ability to break down uric acid to allantoin came about after animals evolved to generate uric acid, so what's with the backward step for apes?
cmb
TL;DR Summary
Humans and higher apes don't break down uric acid. Why not? Was this 'de-evolved' and if so why?
This might be a 'that's just how it is' sort of question, but are there any theories of how humans and higher apes have evolved so that they don't break down uric acid?

All other animals break this down into allantoin, and fish go one further and break that down into ammonia.

Did 'us apes' end up 'de-evolving' this function, and if so is there any evolutionary benefit to having uric acid as an anti-oxidant present in our blood?

Presumably the ability to break down uric acid to allantoin came about after animals evolved to generate uric acid, so what's with the backward step for apes?

Biology news on Phys.org
Wikipedia gives a couple of different theories along with links:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid
https://www.nature.com/articles/228868a0
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1365-2362.1997.1390687.x
According to the articles, you seem to have answered your own question. Since higher primates lost the ability to synthesize ascorbate, another molecule was needed to act as a reducing agent in the body. A mutation that resulted in a loss of functional uricase would have served that function nicely and would therefore have been subjected to selection pressure.

Likes BillTre and jim mcnamara
OK, I wasn't aware of the ascorbate-synthesis loss. So if that happened, then that could make sense.

So that was part of what I am interested in; what are the actual roles of anti-oxidants and how do they actually do their 'thing' that makes a difference? What I have read and heard sounds a bit 'hand wavy', TBH. What's the actual thing that they do and why does that help? As far as I understand it, for example, L-ascorbic acid can be both an anti-oxidant and pro-oxidant, depending on the chemistry, and at that point my non-chemistry engineering brain bogs over and I figure that's not something I'm going to get to understand with any degree of conclusive certainty.

Cellular respiration produces a lot of reactive oxygen species (ROS) as byproducts, but those species can do a lot of oxidative damage to other important molecules in the cell. Reducing agents (i.e., antioxidants) will react with these ROS and mitigate the damage that they cause. Again, wiki has a decent primer:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_oxygen_species

Likes BillTre
There are times in the life of some organisms when certain cells must die for the benefit of the whole organisms. This often done through programmed cell death. In these cases, reactive oxygen species are released to rapidly kill the cell. This usually occurs at mitochondria, where lots of reactive oxygen species are constantly being produced.

That your fingers and toes are not webbed, is the result of cell death in regions that would otherwise form the webbing.
Otherwise, you couldn't do this:
Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 9.27.40 AM.png

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
BillTre said:
There are times in the life of some organisms when certain cells must die for the benefit of the whole organisms...
Otherwise, you couldn't do this:
View attachment 285751
Grow pointy ears? :)

Thanks for the responses, I will look through these links.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
Thank you all for your great answers. Now it’s time to close this thread before we get inundated with Spockian humor.

Jedi

What are anti-oxidants and how do they work?

Anti-oxidants are molecules that help prevent or slow damage to cells caused by free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can cause harm to cells and lead to various diseases. Anti-oxidants work by neutralizing free radicals, preventing them from causing damage to cells.

What is the role of uric acid in the body?

Uric acid is a waste product that is produced when the body breaks down purines, which are found in certain foods and drinks. It is primarily excreted through the kidneys and plays a role in maintaining the pH balance of blood. It also acts as an anti-oxidant and helps protect against damage caused by free radicals.

How does uric acid relate to evolution?

Uric acid has been found to be present in all living organisms, from bacteria to humans. It is believed that uric acid played a crucial role in the evolution of life on Earth. It may have helped protect early organisms from the harmful effects of oxygen, allowing them to thrive and evolve into more complex forms of life.

Are anti-oxidants necessary for human health?

Yes, anti-oxidants are essential for maintaining good health. They help protect against various diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's. However, it is important to note that too much of a good thing can be harmful. Excessive intake of anti-oxidants through supplements may have adverse effects on health.

What are some natural sources of anti-oxidants?

Fruits and vegetables are excellent sources of anti-oxidants, as they contain various vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that act as anti-oxidants. Some examples include berries, leafy greens, citrus fruits, and nuts. Other sources include green tea, dark chocolate, and certain herbs and spices.