Anti-viral Activity of Anise Extract

In summary: However, given the lack of such studies on anise extract, it is difficult to say definitively whether or not it has antiviral activity.In summary, anise extracts contain Lignin-Carbohydrate complexes, which have been found to have anti-viral effects. However, from what was understood by going quickly through the article, the scientists applied the extract directly onto the cell culture, rather than letting it diffuse into the cells. So, I was wondering if this is also true in vivo. So, if anyone here is an expert on the topic or knows about this stuff. Could you please explain to me how do LCs confer antiviral activity in vivo? what is the mechanism by which it occurs?I know at least three
Cha0t1c
Anise extracts contain Lignin-Carbohydrate complexes (LCs), which have been found to have anti-viral effects according to this article (DOI: 10.1271/bbb.100645 ). However, from what I understood by going quickly through the article, the scientists applied the extract directly onto the cell culture.

So, I was wondering if this is also true in vivo. So, if anyone here is an expert on the topic or knows about this stuff. Could you please explain to me how do LCs confer antiviral activity in vivo? what is the mechanism by which it occurs?

Biology news on Phys.org
I know at least three European cultures where one of the favorite drinks is anise liquor. However, I did not have heard that those have any immunity against viruses.

fresh_42 said:
I know at least three European cultures where one of the favorite drinks is anise liquor. However, I did not have heard that those have any immunity against viruses.

I think such posts should be reviewed by people who specialize in Biological sciences so misunderstandings never occur.

The paper you quoted was hopefully peer reviewed. That does not mean I have to trust the process they used. The fact that people in 3 different countries consume anise on a regular basis is just evidence for the absurdity of the claim. It would have been recognized as beneficial since centuries! The fact that it was not is strong evidence. You don't need to be doctor to observe this.

fresh_42 said:
The paper you quoted was hopefully peer reviewed. That does not mean I have to trust the process they used. The fact that people in 3 different countries consume anise on a regular basis is just evidence for the absurdity of the claim. It would have been recognized as beneficial since centuries! The fact that it was not is strong evidence. You don't need to be doctor to observe this.
Phytotherapy is not a replacement for medicine. However, some herbs have been proved to exert certain therapeutic effects because of phytochemicals found in them.
Anise, when boiled, releases a class of organic compounds known as Lignin-Carbohydrate complexes and these complexes have been found to prevent or fight viral infections according to research. My question was whether it can exert the same effect when taken as drink. It does not need to be 100% effective. Again, I repeat, it is not a replacement for medicine, but an aid to supply the body with certain nutrients it needs, and which happens to carry certain therapeutic benefits...

Likes symbolipoint
I think you are correct to be skeptical of the conclusions of that paper. Many compounds can appear to have some effect when applied to cultured cells but be completely ineffective when studied in other situations. Studies with cultured human cells can be useful for preliminary studies and to try to address questions about mechanism, but they aren't good predictors of in vivo efficacy.

Rather, if you are interested in whether particular components of anise extract have antiviral activity, I would look to either 1) observational studies in humans that correlate consumption of anise extract with health outcomes or 2) animal studies in which the test compounds are given to animals and the animals are challenged with various viruses. While not perfect (correlation does not always imply causation for observational studies, and animals can sometimes be poor models for humans, especially when dealing with infectious diseases that can differ between mice and humans), these would be better indicators of any in vivo effect than studies in cultured cells.

The gold standard for evidence would be a randomized controlled trial (such as those required for approval of new drugs by the FDA).

Likes Laroxe, lavinia, symbolipoint and 2 others

1. What is anise extract?

Anise extract is a liquid derived from the seeds of the anise plant, also known as Pimpinella anisum. It is commonly used as a flavoring agent in food and beverages, but it also has potential medicinal properties.

2. How does anise extract exhibit anti-viral activity?

Anise extract contains several compounds, such as anethole and terpenoids, that have been shown to have anti-viral properties. These compounds can inhibit the replication of viruses by interfering with their ability to attach to and enter host cells.

3. What viruses can anise extract potentially combat?

Studies have shown that anise extract has anti-viral activity against a variety of viruses, including influenza virus, herpes simplex virus, and respiratory syncytial virus. It may also have potential against emerging viruses such as Ebola and Zika.

4. How is the anti-viral activity of anise extract tested?

Researchers typically use in vitro studies to test the anti-viral activity of anise extract. This involves exposing cells to the extract and then infecting them with a virus. The effects on viral replication are then measured and compared to control cells.

5. Are there any potential side effects of using anise extract as an anti-viral?

While anise extract is generally considered safe for consumption, it may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. Additionally, high doses of anise extract may lead to digestive issues, such as nausea and vomiting.