Antiderivative involving Trig Identities.

In summary, Mark is trying to solve an equation with integral terms, but is getting lost. He starts with an equation involving sin(2x), but when he tries to solve it using the substitution x=2sin\theta, he gets incorrect results. He then realizes that he is making mistakes by putting constants in front of his integrals that are not factors of the entire integrand, and solves the equation using the double angle identity for sinine.
shamieh
A little confused on something.

Suppose I have the integral

\(\displaystyle 2 \int 4 \sin^2x \, dx\)

So I understand that \(\displaystyle \sin^2x = \frac{1 - \cos2x}{2}\)

BUT we have a 4 in front of it, so shouldn't we pull the \(\displaystyle 4\) out in front of the integral to get:

\(\displaystyle 8 \int \frac{1 - \cos 2x}{2} \, dx\)

then pull out the \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\) to get: \(\displaystyle 4 \int 1 - \cos 2x \, dx\)

then:

\(\displaystyle 8 [ x + \frac{1}{2} \sin2x ] + C\)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would switch the constants so that we have:

\(\displaystyle 4\int 2\sin^2(x)\,dx\)

Apply the identity:

\(\displaystyle 4\int 1-\cos(2x)\,dx\)

And then we have:

\(\displaystyle 4x-2\sin(2x)+C\)

shamieh said:
A little confused on something.

Suppose I have the integral

\(\displaystyle 2 \int 4 \sin^2x \, dx\)

So I understand that \(\displaystyle \sin^2x = \frac{1 - \cos2x}{2}\)

BUT we have a 4 in front of it, so shouldn't we pull the \(\displaystyle 4\) out in front of the integral to get:

\(\displaystyle 8 \int \frac{1 - \cos 2x}{2} \, dx\)

then pull out the \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\) to get: \(\displaystyle 4 \int 1 - \cos 2x \, dx\)

then:

\(\displaystyle 8 [ x + \frac{1}{2} \sin2x ] + C\)?

Surely you mean $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 4 \left[ x + \frac{1}{2}\sin{(2x)} \right] + C \end{align*}$. Apart from that everything you have done is correct :)

MarkFL said:
I would switch the constants so that we have:

\(\displaystyle 4\int 2\sin^2(x)\,dx\)

Apply the identity:

\(\displaystyle 4\int 1-\cos(2x)\,dx\)

And then we have:

\(\displaystyle 4x-2\sin(2x)+C\)
I see. Ok here is where I am getting lost Mark. My original problem was this \(\displaystyle \int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4 - x^2}} dx\)

So I got to the step we just mentioned above (ignore that my final answer had an 8 in front of all those terms, should be a 4 - BUT I then noticed that the A.D. of \(\displaystyle \cos(2\theta)\) is just \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\sin(2\theta) \)THUS I can now change the 4 to a 2 since\(\displaystyle \frac{4}{2} = 2\) when I pulled it out to the constant.)

Finally, after applying all of those changes - now I am here:

\(\displaystyle 2\theta - 2\sin(2\theta) + C\) ... So then I said ok, simple enough, just sub back in for my original equation where I had \(\displaystyle x = 2\sin\theta\) which becomes \(\displaystyle \theta = \arcsin(\frac{x}{2})\) (Note: From when I used my trig sub)

Thus \(\displaystyle 2\arcsin(\frac{x}{2}) - 2\sin(2\arcsin(\frac{x}{2})) \) But somehow my teacher is getting:

\(\displaystyle 2\arcsin(\frac{x}{2}) - \frac{1}{2} x\sqrt{4 -x^2} + C\) as the final answer..In the second term when i have sin(arcsin ... etc What would I do there?

We are given:

\(\displaystyle I=\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\,dx\)

I would use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle x=2\sin(\theta)\,\therefore\,dx=2\cos(\theta)\,d \theta\)

And so now we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int \frac{4\sin^2(\theta)}{\sqrt{4-4\sin^2(\theta)}}\,2\cos(\theta)\,d\theta\)

Simplifying this, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=4\int \sin^2(\theta)\,d\theta\)

This is half of what I began with in post #2 above, so using that method, we would obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=2\theta-\sin(2\theta)+C\)

Now, using the double-angle identity for sine, we may write:

\(\displaystyle I=2\theta-2\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)+C\)

Observing that:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{x}{2}\implies\cos(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{4-x^2}}{2}\)

we may now write:

\(\displaystyle I=2\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)-\frac{x\sqrt{4-x^2}}{2}+C\)

I think you are still trying to pull constants out in front of your integrals that are not factors of the entire integrand. :D

Yes you are exactly right. I was pulling things out in front that I couldn't (Drunk)

So essentially I should have

\(\displaystyle 4[\theta - \frac{1}{2}\sin(2\theta)]\)

Which becomes:

\(\displaystyle 4\theta-2\sin(2\theta)\)

Which then becomes:

\(\displaystyle 2\theta - \sin(2\theta)\)

Then plug in double angle formula,

Then 2 in the second term cancels out with the \(\displaystyle \frac{x}{2}\)

Wow I see where I made my many errors. Thanks for the clarification.

1)

What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation to differentiation. It is a mathematical function that, when differentiated, results in the original function. Finding the antiderivative is also known as "integrating".

2)

How do I find the antiderivative of a trigonometric function?

Finding the antiderivative of a trigonometric function involves using trigonometric identities and integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. It is important to also remember the basic antiderivatives of trigonometric functions.

3)

What are some common trigonometric identities used in antiderivatives?

Some common trigonometric identities used in antiderivatives include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities help simplify the integration process.

4)

Do I need to use trigonometric identities for every antiderivative involving trigonometric functions?

No, not every antiderivative involving trigonometric functions requires the use of trigonometric identities. Some functions are straightforward to integrate without using identities, while others may require the use of multiple identities.

5)

How can understanding antiderivatives involving trigonometric identities be useful?

Understanding antiderivatives involving trigonometric identities can be useful in solving various real-world problems, such as calculating areas and volumes, finding the average value of a function, and determining the displacement of an object with varying velocity.