Antimatter Fuel: Will Future Space Travel Rely on It?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using antimatter as fuel in space travel and the challenges that come with it. It is currently too expensive and difficult to store meaningful quantities of antimatter. However, some believe that it could be a viable option if these challenges can be overcome.
Debaa
Will we be able to harness antimatter so precisely that we use it as fuel in the future? I mean this would mean a great deal in space travel! Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Give us some more of your thoughts to provide some context for this double question:
If it takes a million times more energy to make the stuff than it can produce, wouldn't it be rather 'expensive' ?
When used as 'fuel' (probably in the form of annihilation) there's a few physical laws that resist 'harnessing' -- such as momentum conservation. How do you think we could bend that to obtain propulsion ?

BvU said:
Give us some more of your thoughts to provide some context for this double question:
If it takes a million times more energy to make the stuff than it can produce, wouldn't it be rather 'expensive' ?
When used as 'fuel' (probably in the form of annihilation) there's a few physical laws that resist 'harnessing' -- such as momentum conservation. How do you think we could bend that to obtain propulsion ?
My bad. I meant not as a matter of expence but as a matter of exploration of space.

Dale said:
I like this idea better:
https://arxiv.org/abs/0908.1803

I fully realize that this post will probably get dinged for being un-scientific, but can I just point out that's how a Romulan Warbird is powered, while the OP's idea is how the Enterprise is powered? I just think it's interesting to see the reflection of society's constructs against the actual theoretical physics.

OK, my inner nerd is back in the closet. Sorry again, I'll make him do pushups until he apologizes.

Likes Jehannum, Dale and Debaa
Currently, it is too hard to store meaningful quantities of antimatter to be used as fuel. I don't see that changing any time soon.

It might be a good fuel, but a very important factor is money. For 1 gram of anti hydrogen, it costs 62 TRILLION US dollars to make it, and this is only 1 GRAM. I don't think it's ever possible to actually get this kind of money, only for 1 gram! Other than that, the antimatter fusing with matter could also create an explosion. If this explosion SOMEHOW can be contained AND the money won't be that much, then I would think that this is a good idea!

1. What is antimatter fuel?

Antimatter fuel is a potential type of fuel that could be used for space travel. It is made up of particles that have the same mass as regular matter, but with opposite charge. When matter and antimatter collide, they annihilate each other, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. Why is antimatter fuel being considered for space travel?

Antimatter fuel is being considered because it has the potential to provide a much higher energy output compared to traditional rocket fuels. This means that spacecraft could potentially travel further and faster, making it a promising option for future space exploration.

3. How is antimatter fuel created?

Antimatter fuel is created through a process called particle acceleration, where particles are accelerated to high speeds and then smashed into a target. This process results in the creation of both matter and antimatter particles.

4. Is antimatter fuel safe to use for space travel?

Currently, scientists are still researching the potential use of antimatter fuel for space travel. While it has the potential to provide high energy output, there are also safety concerns surrounding the handling and storage of antimatter fuel. Further research and development is needed to ensure its safety for space travel.

5. Will future space travel rely solely on antimatter fuel?

It is unlikely that future space travel will rely solely on antimatter fuel. While it has the potential to provide high energy output, it is also a very expensive and complex fuel to produce. It is more likely that a combination of different fuel sources will be used for space travel in the future.