Antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor

In summary: And don't be too hard on yourself, it happens to everyone. As for improvement, it's just a matter of practice and developing your problem-solving skills. Keep at it and don't give up!
shinobi20
Homework Statement
Show that the electromagnetic field tensor is antisymmetric from the fact that ##p_\mu p_\nu F^{\mu \nu} = 0##.
Relevant Equations
##p_\mu p_\nu F^{\mu \nu} = 0##
where ##p_\mu## is the 4-momentum and ##F^{\mu \nu}## is the EM field tensor
1.png

I am trying to answer exercise 5 but I am not sure I understand what the hint is implying, differentiate with respect to ##p_\alpha## and ##p_\beta##, I have done this but nothing is clicking. Also, what is the relevance of the hint "the constraint ##p^\alpha p_\alpha = m^2c^2## can be ignored ..."? Please help me clarify what the author wants me to think or do in accordance to the hint.

Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
##p_\mu p_\nu## is a symmetric tensor.

try writing [itex] F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] as a sum of symmetric and anti symmetric pieces then do the contraction with the [itex] p^\alpha[/itex] to show that the components cancel.

or try writing [itex] F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] using its definition in terms of [itex] A^\mu[/itex] and [itex] \partial^\nu[/itex]

Dr Transport said:
try writing [itex] F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] as a sum of symmetric and anti symmetric pieces then do the contraction with the [itex] p^\alpha[/itex] to show that the components cancel.

or try writing [itex] F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] using its definition in terms of [itex] A^\mu[/itex] and [itex] \partial^\nu[/itex]

I cannot figure out what you want me to do, but then I want to follow the hint given in OP.

My attempt, differentiating with respect to ##p_\alpha## and ##p_\beta##,

##\delta^\mu_\alpha p_\nu F^{\mu\nu} + p_\mu \delta^\nu_\alpha F^{\mu\nu} = 0 \quad \rightarrow \quad p_\nu F^{\alpha\nu} + p_\mu F^{\mu\alpha} = 0##

##\delta^\mu_\beta p_\nu F^{\mu\nu} + p_\mu \delta^\nu_\beta F^{\mu\nu} = 0 \quad \rightarrow \quad p_\nu F^{\beta\nu} + p_\mu F^{\mu\beta} = 0##

Multiplying both sides of the first equation by ##p^\mu##

##p^\mu p_\nu F^{\alpha\nu} + m^2 c^2 F^{\mu\alpha} = 0##

Multiplying both sides of the second equation by ##p^\nu##

##m^2 c^2 F^{\beta\nu} + p^\nu p_\mu F^{\mu\beta} = 0##

From these last two equations, I think there are only a few steps before I get the answer, but I cannot see it.

**I may be wrong by multiplying ##p^\nu## in the second equation, maybe it should also be ##p^\mu##, but the flow is as above.

(Further to post #2)
[tex]p_\mu p_\nu F^{\mu \nu}=p_\mu p_\nu (S^{\mu \nu}+A^{\mu \nu})[/tex]
where S is symmetric and A is anti-symmetric components of F.
Contract of symmetric tensor, here ##p_\mu p_\nu##, and anti-symmetric tensor, here ##A^{\mu \nu}##, is always zero.
[tex]p_\mu p_\nu A^{\mu \nu}=0[/tex]
This and
[tex]p_\mu p_\nu F^{\mu \nu}=0[/tex]
give
[tex]p_\mu p_\nu S^{\mu \nu}=0[/tex]
[tex]S^{\mu \nu}=0[/tex]
So ##F^{\mu \nu}## has only anti-symmetric components.

shinobi20 said:
I cannot figure out what you want me to do, but then I want to follow the hint given in OP.

My attempt, differentiating with respect to ##p_\alpha## and ##p_\beta##,

##\delta^\mu_\alpha p_\nu F^{\mu\nu} + p_\mu \delta^\nu_\alpha F^{\mu\nu} = 0 \quad \rightarrow \quad p_\nu F^{\alpha\nu} + p_\mu F^{\mu\alpha} = 0##
Try differentiating this result with respect to ##p_\beta##.

vela said:
Try differentiating this result with respect to ##p_\beta##.
😑😑😑
I don't consider myself stupid, but there are some days where I think I am one. It is like having a snake in front of me but still don't notice it. The hint given in OP is very clear, you just restated what it said but in a different way.

What is your advice on this? Is this just a physics thing that can be improved within physics? o_O

Last edited:
shinobi20 said:
😑😑😑
I don't consider myself stupid, but there are some days where I think I am one. It is like having a snake in front of me but still don't notice it. The hint given in OP is very clear, you just restated what it said but in a different way.

What is your advice on this? Is this just a physics thing that can be improved within physics? o_O
I think everyone has had moments like these, and then we feel like idiots for not seeing what's right in front of us. The best advice I can give is to be aware of the possibility of tunnel vision so you can break out of a rut sooner rather than later.

Likes shinobi20

Related to Antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor

1. What is the electromagnetic field tensor and why is it important?

The electromagnetic field tensor, also known as the electromagnetic tensor or the electromagnetic stress-energy tensor, is a mathematical object that describes the electromagnetic field in terms of its electric and magnetic components. It is important because it allows us to understand and calculate the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and its interactions with matter.

2. What is meant by "antisymmetry" in the context of the electromagnetic field tensor?

In physics, antisymmetry refers to a property of a mathematical object where it remains unchanged when certain elements are interchanged. In the case of the electromagnetic field tensor, this means that the tensor is unchanged when the electric and magnetic components are swapped.

3. How does the antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor relate to the laws of electromagnetism?

The antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor is a consequence of the laws of electromagnetism, specifically Maxwell's equations. These equations state that the curl of the electric field is equal to the negative of the time derivative of the magnetic field, and vice versa. This relationship is reflected in the antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor.

4. What is the physical significance of the antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor?

The antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor reflects the duality between electric and magnetic fields. It also allows for the mathematical simplification of certain equations and the calculation of electromagnetic quantities, such as energy and momentum, in a more concise manner.

5. How is the antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor used in practical applications?

The antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor is used in many practical applications, including the design and analysis of electromagnetic devices such as antennas, generators, and motors. It is also crucial in the development of technologies such as wireless communication, radar, and medical imaging.