Anxiety about ME grad school from a BS in Physics. Help greatly appreciated

In summary, the conversation is about a person's anxiety about applying to ME grad schools with a BS in Physics. They have a 3.72 overall GPA and 1300 combined GRE scores, as well as experience at a national lab and school research. They feel intimidated by other applicants with higher grades and more experience, but are unsure about which schools to apply to. They are interested in studying materials in renewable energy, energy generation, or energy optimization. The expert suggests not to worry and to apply to plenty of programs, as they have a good chance of getting into the mentioned schools.
pablo4429
Anxiety about ME grad school from a BS in Physics. Help greatly appreciated!

Hey all, so it is that time of the year to apply to grad schools and I am having some serious anxiety about it. I am applying to Phd programs in ME from a BS in physics and am very unsure about where to apply. I have a 3.72 overall GPA and 1300 combined GRE scores. 3.5 years experience at a national lab and 2 at school with my senior research as well as 5 good letters, at least I believe they are. On paper I feel ok, but I just can't get over feeling like I am competing with people who all got 4.0's, 1500's, multiple paper etc and I won't get in anywhere. I am applying to Stanford(long shot), UCSB, UCSD, UC Davis, CU Boulder and maybe University of Washington do I have a decent shot at any of these places?? I want to study materials in renewable energy, energy generation, or energy optimization, something along those lines, not 100% sure yet.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

pablo4429 said:
Hey all, so it is that time of the year to apply to grad schools and I am having some serious anxiety about it. I am applying to Phd programs in ME from a BS in physics and am very unsure about where to apply. I have a 3.72 overall GPA and 1300 combined GRE scores. 3.5 years experience at a national lab and 2 at school with my senior research as well as 5 good letters, at least I believe they are. On paper I feel ok, but I just can't get over feeling like I am competing with people who all got 4.0's, 1500's, multiple paper etc and I won't get in anywhere. I am applying to Stanford(long shot), UCSB, UCSD, UC Davis, CU Boulder and maybe University of Washington do I have a decent shot at any of these places?? I want to study materials in renewable energy, energy generation, or energy optimization, something along those lines, not 100% sure yet.
Thanks!

I don't think you need to worry. Most grad students did not get 4.0s, 1500s and get multiple papers published. Obviously you will be competing with people who are very bright and some of them will have those stats but certainly not all of them. I went from MechE undergrad to Aero grad and my stats were similar to yours and I am in a top 10 aero program. Most of the people I know here had similar stats to me. So don't worry about it, just be sure to apply to plenty of programs and you will be fine.

ok great thanks! the hardest part I am finding is how to choose safe schools and probable schools. The longshot of Stanford was obvious, but it really hard to gauge where I have good enough stats and who is doing interesting work that would be a good fit for me

Although I am not an ME grad. I have talked to and worked under ME graduate students before. You have a good chance to get into those schools.

great, I think I may try to apply to a few more places just to hedge my bets, this crap is way more expensive than I originally thought though!

1. What skills do I need to have to succeed in ME grad school after obtaining a BS in Physics?

While a background in Physics can provide a strong foundation for ME grad school, some key skills that are necessary for success include strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, a solid understanding of mathematics and statistics, proficiency in computer programming and data analysis, and the ability to work independently and in a team.

2. Will my BS in Physics be enough preparation for ME grad school?

While a BS in Physics can provide a strong foundation, it may not cover all the necessary topics and skills for ME grad school. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in and determine if there are any prerequisite courses or additional skills you may need to acquire before starting the program.

3. How can I stand out as a Physics major in ME grad school?

One way to stand out as a Physics major in ME grad school is to highlight your problem-solving and analytical skills. Additionally, you can demonstrate your interest and dedication to the field by participating in relevant internships, research projects, or extracurricular activities. Networking with professors and peers can also help you make connections and stand out in the program.

4. What are some common challenges that Physics majors face in ME grad school?

Some common challenges that Physics majors may face in ME grad school include adjusting to the different curriculum and coursework, catching up on any necessary prerequisite knowledge, and adapting to a different learning and teaching style. Time management and balancing coursework with research or other commitments can also be a challenge.

5. How can I alleviate my anxiety about starting ME grad school as a Physics major?

There are several ways to alleviate anxiety about starting ME grad school as a Physics major. One way is to connect with current or former ME grad students who were also Physics majors and ask for their experiences and advice. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the program and requirements, seeking out resources and support from the school, and setting realistic expectations for yourself can all help alleviate anxiety and prepare you for success in ME grad school.