Any experience with curved 4K HD 34" monitors?

• Thread starter Melbourne Guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, a curved 34" 4K HD monitor with Windows 10 is better for using at a close distance, but it is not necessary to sit further back than normal to use the higher resolution.
Melbourne Guy
TL;DR Summary
Thinking of a 34" curved monitor but worried about how far back you need to sit.
Does anyone use a curved 34" 4K HD monitor with Windows 10? I've been thinking about upgrading my WFH office, which has two 24" HD monitors, one of which is on the fritz, but it's a narrow space so I'm wondering whether the higher res and expanse of the monitor means you need to sit further back than normal?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I was under the impression that curved monitors are better when you sit close. The distance from your eyes to the monitor becomes more consistent, so you don't have to focus differently from the center to the edges.

I use a 40" 4K flat monitor with Windows 10. I normally sit with my eyes 20" to 30" from the center of the screen. I have not found the variable distance to be a problem.

I usually set the magnification so that the tallest letters are about 3.0 mm high. Text is still readable when set to 2 mm high, but is not as easy to read. A full sheet of newspaper fits vertically on the screen with the small text at 2.0 mm high, but it's much more readable at 2.5 mm high and about 80% of the page showing.

If you fill two 24" monitors, you will never regret changing to one 4K monitor.

Likes BvU
Algr said:
I was under the impression that curved monitors are better when you sit close.
Hmm, that does make sense, @Algr, though some reviews suggest more distance is required. I'd like to go try one out in a store, but haven't found anywhere yet that has them rigged up for viewing that way.

jrmichler said:
I use a 40" 4K flat monitor with Windows 10. I normally sit with my eyes 20" to 30" from the center of the screen. I have not found the variable distance to be a problem.
Thanks, @jrmichler, that is encouraging to know. I'd discounted flat monitors of that size, thinking the curve would be better, now I think I should reconsider.

Edit: Oops, cross post with Melbourne Guy

Interesting. I sit quite a bit closer - 12" or so, and I notice the issue on my 27" screen, and especially with the TV next to it, which I use as a second monitor sometimes. I don't know anyone who has a curved monitor, so I'm only guessing that it might be better.

If you sit further from the screen, you lose effective resolution. I occasionally lean into as close as 6", and suspect that if I got a retina display I'd be doing that even more.

Melbourne Guy said:
though some reviews suggest more distance is required.
Is that for watching movies or using it as a computer monitor? I might follow @jrmichler's advice too, but I'd like to get a good look at the alternative.

I like my monitor and seating such that I can glance at the screen edges without turning my head to click a link. To actually read text at the edge in comfort I do turn my head or swivel the chair a small amount.

Here are the numbers:
23" Screen size
16/9 Aspect ratio
24" Viewing Distance
20.125 Screen Width
11.25 Screen Height
2048 x 1152 pixels
102 dpi (106% of normal)

That screen size allows two 8.5x11 papers to display beside each other at 100% size. It also works for the 11x17 format by rotating the monitor.

Since I wear eye glasses, I tell the optomerist to make a pair for the 24" viewing distance. Then get frames big enough for about a 40" field of view without trying to look thru the frame edge. That let's me find stuff on the table.

Also, if you do a lot of data entry from hard copy, a copy holder that you can position vertically against a side screen edge is a big help. You don't have to refocus your vision between the screen and the copy. Get one with articulated arms that attaches to the desk or the wall. My table always has too much 'stuff' on it to make room for a 'sit on the desktop' version.

Cheers,
Tom

Algr said:
Is that for watching movies or using it as a computer monitor?
I've been looking at monitor reviews, @Algr, mostly Dell but it's been noted with other models. I'm reviewing TVs separately as it happens, 55" OLED is my current thinking on that front!

Tom.G said:
Since I wear eye glasses, I tell the optomerist to make a pair for the 24" viewing distance. Then get frames big enough for about a 40" field of view without trying to look thru the frame edge. That let's me find stuff on the table.
Hadn't thought about setting my specs like that, @Tom.G, that's an interesting idea as I'm ready for a visit to the eye doc.

jrmichler said:
If you fill two 24" monitors, you will never regret changing to one 4K monitor.
Meant to acknowledge this last post, @jrmichler, I am certainly hoping that's the case! Though apparently sharing apps in Teams (or Zoom, I presume) is a little trickier. Right now, I just throw up one of the three screens I'm looking at (the laptop is the third screen) but this might require me to actually think about it 🤔

Melbourne Guy said:
Summary:: Thinking of a 34" curved monitor but worried about how far back you need to sit.

Does anyone use a curved 34" 4K HD monitor with Windows 10?
Yes, a Dell 3419. I am sitting an arm's length from the screen. The screen real estate allows me to have several documents on the screen at once (and full-size at that). This is the best setup I have ever had!

Likes Melbourne Guy and BvU
Svein said:
I am sitting an arm's length from the screen.
That's an ideal yardstick, @Svein, I've already reached out and touched someone (metaphorically) on LinkedIn to check your measure!

1. What is the benefit of using a curved 4K HD 34" monitor?

Using a curved 4K HD 34" monitor provides a more immersive viewing experience. The curved screen helps to eliminate distortion and provide a wider field of view, making it easier to see details in the corners of the screen. It can also reduce eye strain and improve overall comfort while using the monitor.

2. Are curved 4K HD 34" monitors better for gaming or productivity?

Curved 4K HD 34" monitors are great for both gaming and productivity. The curved screen helps to create a more immersive gaming experience, while the high resolution and large screen size make it ideal for multitasking and viewing multiple windows at once.

3. Do curved 4K HD 34" monitors have a higher price point?

In general, curved 4K HD 34" monitors do tend to have a higher price point compared to traditional flat monitors. This is due to the advanced technology and larger screen size. However, prices have been decreasing as the technology becomes more widespread.

4. Can a curved 4K HD 34" monitor be used for professional tasks such as graphic design?

Yes, many professionals in fields such as graphic design, video editing, and photography use curved 4K HD 34" monitors for their work. The high resolution and color accuracy make it a great choice for these types of tasks.

5. What are the differences between a curved 4K HD 34" monitor and a traditional flat monitor?

The main difference between a curved 4K HD 34" monitor and a traditional flat monitor is the curvature of the screen. The curved monitor provides a more immersive viewing experience and can help reduce eye strain. Additionally, curved monitors usually have a higher resolution and wider viewing angles compared to traditional flat monitors.