Any good book on Advanced Laboratory physics?

In summary, the conversation was about finding a book on laboratory physics that goes beyond basic experiments and focuses on important experiments in modern physics. The person asking is a student of theoretical physics and needs help understanding experimental physics. They were recommended Napolitano's book, "Experiments in Modern Physics, 2nd ed," which is written by the same author as the 2nd edition of J.J. Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics."
prophetlmn
Hi guys,do you have any suggested book on Laboratory physics? I mean something beyond simple freshman experiments such as verify Newton's second law, but still keep general viewpoints, and focus on important experiments in modern physics,for example the S-G experiment of spin magnetic moment.
I’m a student on theoretical physics,mainly study condensed matter physics,after many years study, I found my knowledge on experimental physics is still very poor,I have some classmate on experimental physics and I tried to ask them about this. But they are too technical ,and they learned up everything in their laboratory without any systematic training, they can't help too much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Napolitano has a nice book on lab physics.

marcusl said:
Napolitano has a nice book on lab physics.

thanks, would you tell me the name of this book? I remember this guy is the author of 2nd edition of J.J Sakurai's Modern quantum mechanics, an experimental physics.
Experiments in modern physics, 2nd ed is it this one?

Last edited:

1. What topics are typically covered in a book on advanced laboratory physics?

A book on advanced laboratory physics may cover a variety of topics such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, optics, electromagnetism, and experimental techniques. It may also include advanced mathematical concepts and data analysis techniques.

2. Are there any recommended books for beginners in advanced laboratory physics?

Yes, there are many recommended books for beginners in advanced laboratory physics, such as "Introduction to Experimental Physics" by Colin Cooke and "Advanced Laboratory Physics" by Mark Beck.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a book on advanced laboratory physics?

Yes, there are several online resources such as interactive simulations, video lectures, and virtual experiments that can supplement a book on advanced laboratory physics. Some popular websites include PhET Interactive Simulations, Khan Academy, and LabXchange.

4. Can a book on advanced laboratory physics be used as a reference for experimental design and analysis?

Yes, a book on advanced laboratory physics can be a valuable reference for experimental design and analysis. It may provide guidance on selecting appropriate equipment, designing experiments, and analyzing data to draw meaningful conclusions.

5. How can I use a book on advanced laboratory physics to improve my practical skills?

A book on advanced laboratory physics can help improve practical skills by providing detailed explanations of theoretical concepts and hands-on experiments. It may also include practice problems and activities to reinforce understanding and application of concepts.