Any Good Books on History of Math?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for good books on the history of math that are written for a semi-layperson with a high school math education. The conversation mentions the desire for books that detail major names and developments in math, such as Euclid and the creation of calculus and algebra. A suggested textbook for a history of mathematics class is also mentioned.
bballwaterboy
I'm wondering if there are any good books for a semi-layperson (I study math in school, but at a low level right now), which detail the history of math. I'd be interested in knowing:

Major Names (such as Euclid)
Major Developments in Ideas (such as how calculus was created, how algebra came about, etc.)

...but all of which was written in a way that a layperson could decently understand (say with a high school math education). Do any such books exist?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what you exactly need but maybe you can found some here?

1. What is the best book on the history of math?

The answer to this question is subjective as it depends on personal preferences. However, some popular books on the history of math include "A History of Mathematics" by Carl B. Boyer and "The Story of Mathematics" by Anne Rooney.

2. Are there any books specifically about ancient mathematics?

Yes, there are many books that focus on the history of math in ancient civilizations such as "Mathematics in Ancient Egypt: A Contextual History" by Annette Imhausen and "The Mathematics of Egypt, Mesopotamia, China, India, and Islam: A Sourcebook" by Victor J. Katz.

3. Can you recommend a book on the history of math for beginners?

For beginners, "The History of Mathematics: An Introduction" by David M. Burton is a great option. It provides a comprehensive and accessible overview of the subject.

4. Are there any books that cover the history of math in a specific region or culture?

Yes, there are many books that focus on the history of math in specific regions or cultures, such as "Mathematics in India" by Kim Plofker and "Mathematics in Medieval Islam" by J. L. Berggren.

5. Is there a book that explores the intersection of math and other fields, such as art or philosophy?

Yes, "The Golden Ratio: The Story of PHI, the World's Most Astonishing Number" by Mario Livio delves into the relationship between math and art, while "The Mathematics of Plato's Academy: A New Reconstruction" by David H. Fowler explores the connection between math and philosophy in ancient Greece.