Need to find a source for Difficult Math Problems to work for practice (Calc-2 level and above)

• Other
  • Thread starter FriedFish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Source Work
In summary, the OP is looking for creative math puzzles that they can do at their own level. They have been unsuccessful finding any that fit this criteria online. They suggest looking through Google search results for "math Olympiad problems" or "Putnam competitions." They also mention the MHB Math POTW forums and suggest looking at different difficulty levels. Finally, they suggest downloading a solution manual for some of the problems.
The reason I posted this thread was because recently I have felt strangely around math. Over the years I've been called exceptionally good at math by most of my teachers, but for some reason lately I've felt slow and unimaginative. I can't quite tell if this is just my brain annoying itself, or if I lost something I had before or if I ever even had something. I've also found the problems i've been assigned pretty boring. What have you guys done in your experience with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interdimensional said:
The reason I posted this thread was because recently I have felt strangely around math. Over the years I've been called exceptionally good at math by most of my teachers, but for some reason lately I've felt slow and unimaginative. I can't quite tell if this is just my brain annoying itself, or if I lost something I had before or if I ever even had something. What have you guys done in your experience with this?
Can you give an example so that we can know what you mean when you say "math"?

Recently with problems that require more creative and original thinking I feel like I've been less capable than I used to be. Kind of like a brain fog.

Interdimensional said:
Recently with problems that require more creative and original thinking I feel like I've been less capable than I used to be. Kind of like a brain fog.
That's not an example. You could likewise tell your age, your level of education, and your goals. Are we talking about graduated math or highschool math?

What do you mean by example? A specific problem? Or an area of math? EDIT: I see your edit.

Last edited:
Interdimensional said:
What do you mean by example? A specific problem? Or an area of math?
Different levels of education (high school, college, undergraduate, graduate) require different skills.
Different areas in mathematics (geometry, calculus, algebra) require different skills.
Different goals (hobby, school, study, research) require different skills.

fresh_42 said:
Different levels of education (high school, college, undergraduate, graduate) require different skills.
Different areas in mathematics (geometry, calculus, algebra) require different skills.
Different goals (hobby, school, study, research) require different skills.
Oh I see. So your saying that different areas of math and education and goals require different skills. That's comforting to know. I partially thought I was losing my mind.

Currently I'm in Calculus 2 but in a high school class. Eventually I'd like to get into physics research.

Interdimensional said:
Currently I'm in Calculus 2 but in a high school class. Eventually I'd like to get into physics research.
Could you give us an idea of what topics you've covered in Calculus 2? Just make a list.

-Dan

Sure.

Calculus 1 - of course

Calculus 2 - numerical integration, which we skipped in calculus 1 and went back around to, integration of natural logs and exponential functions, trigonometric integration, and starting integration and differentiation of hyperbolic functions.

My math teacher used to say: "Everybody can differentiate but it takes an artist to integrate."

Means for us ordinary people: practice, practice, practice. Learn trick after trick: Weierstraß substitution, additive symmetry, multiplicative symmetry etc.

I like this book for that purpose:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0846407612/?tag=pfamazon01-20

... but it seems that it is currently unavailable or very expensive. However, there are similar ones. Just look for a) a Russian author and b) written between 1950 and 1970. These criteria guarantee that you find a book close to real problems with numbers and techniques e.g. integration. The soviet study of mathematics was primarily targeted to create engineers.

Interesting. I have always found integration to be a more enjoyable process than differentiation. I've heard similar things about Hungarian mathematics books as well. Are there any translation difficulties I should know about?

Last edited:
Likes Mondayman
Interdimensional said:
Interesting. I have always found integration to be a more enjoyable process than differentiation. I've heard similar things about Hungarian mathematics books as well. Are there any translation difficulties I should know about?
The book I linked to is in English. It contains example after example, so it's not a textbook to study calculus.

Take a look at the Project Euler problems, too. There is a variety of difficulties. Many of the problems are computing based, but you have to figure out how to set up the math for the computer to get the correct answer.

Last edited:
The Art of Problem Solving Volumes 1 and 2 cover basic algebra, geometry, and precalculus, but the problems are challenging enough to take you to the contest level.
When you take Linear algebra, look at Halmos' Problem Book
For interesting integration problems, watch blackpenredpen (and of course try to work out the problems before he does. For books on integration, see Inside Interesting Integrals by Nahin, Irresistible Integrals by Boris and Moll, and (Almost) Impossible Integrals by Valean

Are you in the US, @Interdimensional ? What grade are you in?

Do you want physics problem books as well?

Last edited:
Likes scottdave