Any idea what these sensors are on lightpoles in a stadium parking lot?

In summary: They would go around to different areas and set them up.That does make sense. I know someone who works for Sprint. I know that leading up to the Superbowl came to Houston, he was working a lot with the crews installing cell phone "booster" I think he called them. They would go around to different areas and set them up.
berkeman
Mentor
I've been trying out a couple new running routes around work lately, and my run today through Levi's Stadium parking lot (yes, my work is right next to Levi's Stadium, oh joy) took me past light poles that have some kind of sensors attached to them. I wasn't able to figure out what they might be used for, so I thought I'd ask for some PF help.

As you can see in the picture, they are mounted mid-way up some of the light poles, and don't seem to have any optics exposed like you would expect from a camera. There are a few light poles with traditional cameras mounted on them spaced out in the parking lot, but most of the poles have these sealed devices mounted on them.

They sort of look like simple radar detectors, but if they are supposed to detect how full the parking lot is, they would need to be able to scan in an x-y pattern somehow (either mechanically or with phased array elements).

Any ideas or thoughts? Has anybody seen these before? Thanks!

Levi's Stadium Parkihg Lot Lamp with Sensors.jpg

Attachments

• Levi's Stadium Parkihg Lot Lamp with Sensors.jpg
    Levi's Stadium Parkihg Lot Lamp with Sensors.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 775
Engineering news on Phys.org
Actually, could they be WiFi antennas? They seem like they are spaced too closely together for effective coverage of the parking lot, but maybe they figure overkill is better than spotty coverage...?

Likes krater
I thought of speakers.

Likes russ_watters
fresh_42 said:
I thought of speakers.
Good thought, but the front surfaces look to be solid plastic.

You have to protect them from rain (and in any other region snow as well). I'm not sure but I think I've seen similar things before WiFi everywhere was an option. Additionally, don't you want people to get IN the stadium. A WiFi net on the parking lot could be counter productive. But as the place is regularly crowded by hundreds of people, a system to speak to them could be useful: lost children, cars blocking emergency exist, panic situations and what else.

Of course you could damage one and wait what they'll write on the bill :biggrin:

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Of course you could damage one and wait what they'll write on the bill
LOL. I was keeping an eye out for Stadium Security as I took the picture. I was worried that they would come charging after me in golf carts to question me about why I was taking pictures of their security infrastructure...

berkeman said:
LOL. I was keeping an eye out for Stadium Security as I took the picture. I was worried that they would come charging after me in golf carts to question me about why I was taking pictures of their security infrastructure...
Another idea is to either ask them, or go and tell, that you think, one of their "tv-screens" on the poles is probably broken. They will laugh, sure, but chances are they tell you what it is instead; and making people laugh is a good thing to do.

Likes scottdave
I believe they are part of an outdoor distributed antenna system (odas).
Outdoor Distributed Antenna System (oDAS) nodes in the City of Santa Clara will be mounted on existing structures such as streetlights and light poles in parking lots. The area of the City around the Santa Clara Convention Center, California’s Great America theme park and Levi’s Stadium will have oDAS installed by early 2016 to give cell phone and mobile device users better service from participating cellular companies. This oDAS antenna node is seen near the middle of the light post.
odas1.jpg
odas2.jpg

The ones you see may be newer versions, as these are from 2016.
http://www.siliconvalleypower.com/svp-and-community/news-and-announcements/media-resources
odas1.jpg

Attachments

• odas1.jpg
    odas1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 995
  • odas2.jpg
    odas2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 578
Likes berkeman and fresh_42
berkeman said:
yes, my work is right next to Levi's Stadium, oh joy
Google Maps shows that "right next to" is... Bourbon Pub! :oldsurprised:

I vote for antennas. Cell phone or motion detectors.

wirenut said:
I believe they are part of an outdoor distributed antenna system (odas).
Outdoor Distributed Antenna System (oDAS) nodes in the City of Santa Clara...
Perfect! Thanks! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of these sensors on lightpoles?

The sensors on lightpoles in a stadium parking lot are typically used for security and safety purposes. They can detect motion and light levels to activate the lights, ensuring that the parking lot is well-lit and safe for people walking to and from their cars.

2. Are these sensors connected to any other systems or devices?

Yes, these sensors are usually connected to a central control system that can monitor and regulate the lights in the parking lot. They can also be connected to security cameras or alarms to enhance the overall security of the area.

3. How do these sensors work?

The sensors use infrared technology to detect changes in motion and light levels. When a car or person passes by, the sensor will detect the motion and trigger the lights to turn on. They also have the ability to adjust the light levels based on the amount of natural light in the area.

4. Can these sensors be controlled or adjusted manually?

Yes, these sensors can be adjusted or controlled manually through the central control system. This allows for flexibility in managing the lighting in the parking lot, such as changing the sensitivity of the motion detection or adjusting the light levels for different times of the day.

5. Do these sensors require maintenance or replacement?

Like any technology, these sensors may require maintenance or replacement over time. However, they are designed to be durable and long-lasting, and any necessary maintenance can usually be done remotely through the central control system. If a sensor does need to be replaced, it can be done easily and quickly without disrupting the overall function of the lighting system.