Any integrating genius? integrate this

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to solve an integral using substitutions, specifically t=e^x and t=e^-x. However, the problem is not solvable in terms of elementary functions. Someone suggests trying the substitution t=e^-z^2, which leads to a discussion about the Gaussian integral and its relationship to the original integral. It is mentioned that neither function, e^-x^2 nor 1/sqrt(-ln(t)), can be expressed in terms of elementary functions.
oneomega
this may seem simple, but try doing this yourself. I've tried sustituting t=e^x , e^-x. but the problem lies after that. do it and see it for yourself.

Attachments

• 121.PNG
    121.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't going to be able to solve this integral in terms of the elementary functions.

Try the substitution t=e-z2.

i think u are wrong, this doesn't solve the problem. the problem really lies in applying the limits in the end, not in the substitution.

I'd like to elaborate on D H's suggestion a little bit.

You should note that there is an explicit mention of [tex]e[/tex]. Also the possible answers include the square root of pi. Shouldn't that ring a bell?

At least, this depends on your level of education. Try searching for gaussian integral. This might clear some things up for you.

oneomega said:
i think u are wrong, this doesn't solve the problem. the problem really lies in applying the limits in the end, not in the substitution.

It does solve the integral check it. It took me about the size of a postcard and 1 minute to find the answer.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
dear jorisL,
I'm not aware of gaussian integral. i'll definitely check it out. but, pls tell me, how did you come to conclusion that it can be solved by gaussian integral.
when DH suggested e^-z^2 . i thoght it just meant i needed to sub t= e^-z^2.

oneomega said:
Sure it does. There is a very simple relationship between the integral you asked about in the original post and the following integral:
[tex]\operatorname{erf}(x) \equiv \frac 2 {\sqrt{\pi}} \int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt[/tex]
In particular, there's a direct relationship between your integral and erf(∞).

Try as hard as you can and you will not be able to express either ##\int e^{-t^2}dt## or ##\int \frac{dt}{\sqrt{-\ln t}}## in terms of the elementary functions. Make all the u-substitutions you can think of. It won't work. Neither ##e^{-t^2}## nor ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{-\ln t}}## are integrable in terms of the elementary functions.

That does not mean these functions don't have an integral. It just means you can't express those integrals in terms of the elementary functions.

Likes 1 person

1. What is an integrating genius?

An integrating genius is someone who is able to combine different ideas, concepts, or fields of study to create new and innovative solutions. They are able to see connections and patterns that others may miss and use this to their advantage.

2. How does an integrating genius approach problem solving?

An integrating genius often approaches problem solving by breaking down the issue into smaller components and then finding ways to integrate different ideas or approaches to create a unique solution. They may also draw from a wide range of knowledge and experiences to find creative solutions.

3. What skills are necessary to become an integrating genius?

Some skills that are necessary to become an integrating genius include critical thinking, creativity, flexibility, and the ability to see connections between seemingly unrelated concepts. Effective communication and collaboration skills are also important in order to integrate ideas from others.

4. Can someone learn to become an integrating genius or is it innate?

While some people may have a natural inclination towards integrating different ideas, it is also possible to learn and improve upon these skills. Practice, exposure to diverse ideas and experiences, and a willingness to think outside the box can all help develop the ability to integrate concepts and become an integrating genius.

5. How does an integrating genius contribute to scientific progress?

Integrating geniuses are crucial in scientific progress as they are often the ones who are able to connect different areas of research and come up with new and innovative solutions to complex problems. They can also help break down barriers between different fields of study and promote interdisciplinary collaboration, leading to further advancements.