AAPT Conferences: Worth Attending?

• Thread starter robphy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aapt
In summary, the author is looking forward to attending the AAPT conferences in Maryland and Louisiana in the summer and in California in the winter. Registration is expensive, but the author thinks it is worth it because the conferences are a great way to recharge after a busy semester.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Just thought I'd ask...
anyone at AAPT San Diego?
I'm here until Tuesday.

upcoming meetings:
College Park, MD - Summer 2015
New Orleans, LA - Winter 2016

Science news on Phys.org
I thought about going, but I'd have to have paid for the entire thing out of my own pocket. Bummer because I live relatively close by.

I really wish I had known about this earlier. I would have made the trip out :( Planning on going for the summer one in MD though.

Here are the future meetings:
2015 Summer Meeting, July 25-29 (University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland)
2016 Winter Meeting, January 9-12 (New Orleans, Louisiana)
2016 Summer Meeting, July 16-20 (Sacramento, California)
2017 Winter Meeting, February 18-21 (Atlanta, Georgia)

Here are the recent past meetings
2015 Winter Meeting, January 3-6 (San Diego, California)
2014 Summer Meeting, July 26-30 (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
2014 Winter Meeting, January 4-7 (Orlando, Florida)
2013 Summer Meeting, July 13-17 (Portland, Oregon)
2013 Winter Meeting, January 5-9 (New Orleans, Louisiana)
2012 Summer Meeting, July 28 - August 1 (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
2012 Winter Meeting, February 4-8 (Ontario, California)
2011 Summer Meeting, July 30 - August 3 (Omaha, Nebraska)
[I didn't make it to Omaha, Philadelphia, and New Orleans.]

Early bird registration is early-Nov for the Winter Meetings, late-May for the Summer Meetings.
Deadlines for contributed talks and posters in early-September for the Winter Meetings, early-March for the Summer Meetings.
Registration is roughly $400+ for members, add another $200 for non-members... the students rate is about $50.
Of course you have to factor in travel and lodging and food.

Visit http://www.aapt.org/Conferences/meetings.cfm for updates.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#aaptwm15
https://www.facebook.com/AAPTHQ
http://www.aapt.org/Conferences/WM2015/upload/final-program-12-23-14-2.pdf

robphy said:
Registration is roughly $400+ for members, add another $200 for non-members... the students rate is about $50.
Yeah that isn't cheap, but I'm willing to try it out. It seems like a nice place to meet PF members and network with teachers. How are you finding it?

At the end of a busy semester, these AAPT conferences help to recharge me.
I usually give a poster (or an occasional talk) on my work... and look to meet up with folks.
There are usually interesting presentations that inspire me to implement them at my home institution.
I am thankful that my institutions [I've been moving around, seeking someplace more permanent]
have been financially generous in supporting my attendance.

What is AAPT San Diego?

AAPT San Diego refers to the annual conference hosted by the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) in San Diego, California. This conference brings together physics educators and researchers from around the world to share their knowledge and ideas in the field of physics education.

Who can attend AAPT San Diego?

Anyone with an interest in physics education is welcome to attend AAPT San Diego. This includes educators, researchers, graduate students, undergraduate students, and other professionals in the field of physics. Registration is required to attend the conference.

What types of sessions and events are typically featured at AAPT San Diego?

AAPT San Diego features a variety of sessions and events, including plenary talks, workshops, panel discussions, poster sessions, and networking opportunities. These sessions cover a range of topics in physics education, such as teaching strategies, research findings, and innovative technologies.

How can I present my own research or ideas at AAPT San Diego?

There are several ways to present your research or ideas at AAPT San Diego. You can submit a proposal for a talk or workshop, present a poster, or participate in a panel discussion. The conference website typically provides information on the submission process and deadlines.

What are the benefits of attending AAPT San Diego?

Attending AAPT San Diego allows you to stay up-to-date on the latest developments in physics education, network with other professionals in the field, and gain new insights and ideas for your own teaching or research. You may also have the opportunity to present your own work and receive feedback from peers and experts in the field.