Anyone experienced with laser cutting?

In summary, Baluncore is looking for someone who owns a laser cutter and has some experience using the software to create designs. He or she is also interested in learning more about other types of CNC machining equipment.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
general question about laser cutting
Hello,

Does anyone own a laser cutter and knows how to operate it with some level of experience? I have some questions...

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What material are you cutting ?

Hello Baluncore,

I am commonly cutting Plexiglas and balsa wood. My question is general and about graphic software->control software->laser cutter.
We can use any vector graphics software we like (Inkscape, Coreldraw, Adobe Illustrator) to create our design for the laser cutter. But different laser cutters have different proprietary control software and that is where the difference seem to take place. I read that some cutter have print drivers while some don't... What does it mean?

Some say that a vector line must have a thickness of 1pt for that line to be interpreted by the control software as a cut line. Others say the line must be <1pt (like 0.001pt) and lines with stroke larger than that will be interpreted as lines to be engraved. I think the fact that same laser cutters, like mine, have print drivers, makes the stroke width a relevant parameters. Some laser cutters may ignore stroke width...

Line color and fill seem to be ignored by the laser cutter and only play a role once we want to customize the power/speed for different lines...

How does your control software works?

I do not own a laser but had a fair amount of experience with a former employer. The machine I spec'd and set up was from the company Universal.
https://www.ulsinc.com/systems
At the time, their machine used a print driver so when you pulled up the print tab from whatever windows application that was running, you could select the laser as a printer. Different colors could be set to different modes of cutting. One color was for cutting completely through the material, one for scoring through the contact paper on the material. Those were vector cuts. Yet another color was for raster mode. Again, set the speed and power for the desired results. That's just the way we did it. Different thickness and types of material would require more colors. Other manufacturers could do it any way they want I suppose. We cut directly from AutoCAD.

Likes berkeman and fog37
Thanks Averagesupernova.
I guess my laser cutter and control software is much more basic and the line color did not play a role as far as identifying either cut lines or raster lines.

The line stroke is instead the parameter that seems critical, with a stroke =<1 pt being for cut lines...

Thanks!

Likes Averagesupernova
Btw, I watched a couple of lasers sell on auction several years ago. Right around 100 watts I believe. I believe amongst CNC machining equipment including 4 axis milling centers, and etc, the lasers brought the most money. Around $5K. At the time I would have been better off buying a refurbished laser. I still might get one some day. They are becoming more common. But that also means there's a lot more competition in that business. I'd like one more for prototyping and patterns. A 3D printer does not necessarily accomplish the same thing. Both are unique tools.

1. What is laser cutting and how does it work?

Laser cutting is a manufacturing process that uses a high-powered laser beam to cut or engrave materials such as wood, metal, plastic, and more. The laser beam is controlled by a computer and directed onto the material, melting, burning, or vaporizing it to create the desired shape.

2. What materials can be cut using a laser cutter?

Laser cutters can work with a variety of materials, including wood, acrylic, paper, cardboard, fabric, leather, and certain types of metal. However, the type and thickness of the material will determine the laser cutter's capabilities and the quality of the cut.

3. What are the advantages of using laser cutting over traditional cutting methods?

Laser cutting offers many advantages over traditional cutting methods, such as precise and intricate cuts, minimal material wastage, and the ability to work with a wide range of materials. It also allows for faster production times and can be more cost-effective for small to medium-sized production runs.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a laser cutter?

Yes, laser cutters can be hazardous if not used properly. It is essential to wear appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses, and ensure the workspace is well-ventilated. It is also crucial to follow the manufacturer's instructions and never leave the laser cutter unattended while in use.

5. Can laser cutting be used for both cutting and engraving?

Yes, laser cutting machines can be used for both cutting and engraving. By adjusting the laser's power and speed settings, it is possible to create different effects on the material, such as cutting all the way through or just engraving the surface. However, the type of material and its thickness will determine the level of detail that can be achieved.