Anyone looking for the aurora tonight (July 16/17)?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aurora
In summary, the best locations to view the aurora tonight (July 16/17) will depend on various factors such as current solar activity and weather conditions. The timing of the aurora can be unpredictable, but the best time to go outside to see it is usually between 10pm and 2am. It is best to look towards the northern horizon, but the aurora can also be visible in the southern sky. To make the most of the aurora viewing experience, it's important to be prepared with warm clothing, a chair or blanket, snacks and water, and a camera. There are also websites and apps available to track aurora activity and plan your viewing accordingly.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Likes UsableThought
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Didn't know about it before. I am in New England, now is a good time, so I looked. Unfortunately, cloud cover all over the section of sky where it is expected (quite clear elsewhere). Never seen it before, so would have been nice.

1. What are the best locations to view the aurora tonight?

The best locations to view the aurora tonight (July 16/17) will depend on various factors such as current solar activity and weather conditions. Generally, areas closer to the Earth's poles have a higher chance of seeing the aurora, so locations such as Alaska, Canada, and northern Europe are good options. However, the aurora can also be seen in more southern locations if conditions are right.

2. What time should I go outside to see the aurora tonight?

The timing of the aurora can be unpredictable, but the best time to go outside to see it is usually between 10pm and 2am. This is when the Earth's magnetic field is most likely to be aligned with the solar wind, resulting in a stronger aurora display.

3. Is there a specific direction I should look to see the aurora?

The aurora can appear in any direction, but it is usually best to look towards the northern horizon. In some cases, it may also be visible in the southern sky. Keep in mind that the aurora can move and change shape, so it's important to keep scanning the sky for any changes.

4. What should I bring with me to view the aurora tonight?

To make the most of your aurora viewing experience, it's important to be prepared. Some essential items to bring include warm clothing, a chair or blanket to sit on, snacks and water, and a camera to capture the beauty of the aurora. It's also recommended to find a dark location away from city lights for the best viewing conditions.

5. Are there any websites or apps I can use to track the aurora activity?

Yes, there are various websites and apps that provide real-time updates on aurora activity. Some popular options include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Space Weather Prediction Center and the Aurora Forecast app. These resources can help you determine the likelihood of seeing the aurora in your area and plan your viewing accordingly.