Anyone Speedcube? Rubik's Cube Solving & Blindfolding

• Thread starter Anonymous217
  • Start date
In summary: I've been trying to learn the algorithms and I'm close to completing it, but I'm just not that motivated to complete it.
Anonymous217
I'm just wondering if anyone on the PF ever solves the Rubik's cube competitively or with a relatively fast time. I'm currently at a 25 second average and once I get to sub 20 by the end of July, I'll join some competitions for fun. I'm also trying to solve the Rubik's cube blindfolded, but it takes me about 4 and a half minutes on average (when it's not a DNF, of course). It's really not that hard to improve your times by the way in case you're interested. I solved the 3x3 in around 2 minutes last month and I've been improving ever since.

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a time when the cubes were on bar-counters and cafe tables all over the place. I drank a lot of free beers betting people that I could solve a cube in under 2 minutes, but I never worked at it long enough to do it reliably in under a minute.

I really respect people who could solve the Rubik's cube back then since there were no published methods or much help for people to learn how to solve it. I doubt I could solve the Rubik's cube without already knowing all the algorithms needed and trying to make my own. It was remarkable just it solving back then, but now there's a plethora of different methods, most explained very well so that literally anyone can solve it.

Anonymous217 said:
I really respect people who could solve the Rubik's cube back then since there were no published methods or much help for people to learn how to solve it. I doubt I could solve the Rubik's cube without already knowing all the algorithms needed and trying to make my own. It was remarkable just it solving back then, but now there's a plethora of different methods, most explained very well so that literally anyone can solve it.
It was pretty gnarly when the cubes first came out, but if you were persistent, you could derive some rules. I used to like starting with a solved cube, and figure out how to get a corner or edge piece moved to a different location with X orientation. That got me going, though extrapolating to series of moves that change a lot of stuff simultaneously was an uphill slog.

I can solve the Rubik's cube fairly quickly. It usually takes me something like 30 seconds, my fastest time is 21 seconds and a bit. I could improve my times a lot by learning all the algorithms for the last layer, but I don't really consider it worth the effort as I have no interest in cubing competitively.

Do you use the Fridrich/CFOP method?

Yeah, I use the intuitive Fridrich method for the first two layers and a two-look approach for the last layer.

I have a 3 year old cube that's sitting on my desk and still unfinished.

1. What is a speedcube?

A speedcube is a type of Rubik's Cube that is designed specifically for speedcubing, which is the act of solving the cube as quickly as possible. These cubes are usually made with high-quality materials and have improved mechanisms for faster and smoother turning.

2. How do you solve a Rubik's Cube?

There are many different methods for solving a Rubik's Cube, but the most common one is called the Fridrich method. This method involves solving the cube in layers, starting with the bottom layer and then moving on to the middle and top layers. It requires memorizing a set of algorithms and practicing until you can solve the cube quickly and efficiently.

3. What is blindfolded cubing?

Blindfolded cubing is a type of speedcubing where the solver solves the cube without looking at it. This is done by memorizing the starting position of the cube and then executing a series of moves based on that position. It requires a lot of practice and memorization, but it can be a very impressive feat to watch.

4. How long does it take to learn how to speedcube?

The amount of time it takes to learn how to speedcube varies depending on the individual's dedication and practice. However, with consistent practice and dedication, it is possible to learn how to solve a Rubik's Cube in under a minute. Blindfolded cubing, on the other hand, may take longer to master and can vary greatly in terms of the time it takes to solve.

5. Do you need a special cube to speedcube or blindfold solve?

While you can use a regular Rubik's Cube to speedcube and blindfold solve, many cubers prefer to use specially designed speedcubes. These cubes have improved mechanisms that allow for faster and smoother turning, making it easier to achieve faster solve times. However, it is not necessary to have a special cube to learn how to speedcube or blindfold solve.