Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory Books?

In summary, there are a variety of QFT books available that use little to no math. However, it is important to understand that a basic understanding of mathematics is necessary in order to fully grasp the concepts of QFT. Popularizations of physics may provide a good starting point, but for a more comprehensive understanding, self-teaching math books and online resources such as Khan Academy can be helpful. For those interested in a more in-depth understanding of QFT, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and complex integration, as well as some knowledge of group/Lie algebra representation theory. Some suggested introductory QFT books include M.D. Schwartz's "Quantum field theory and the Standard
BadgerBadger92
Are there any QFT books that use little to no math? If there is a little math that is okay. I don't know much about math. I am looking for good explanations on how it works without math. Any help would be great!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Huang, Fundamental Forces of Nature
Schmitz, Particles Fields and Forces

Likes Frabjous
BadgerBadger92 said:
Are there any QFT books that use little to no math? If there is a little math that is okay. I don't know much about math. I am looking for good explanations on how it works without math. Any help would be great!
Whoever then has the effrontery to study physics while neglecting mathematics must know from the start that he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom.

Roger Bacon (1214-84)

• Love
Likes apostolosdt, PhDeezNutz, Amrator and 3 others
Demystifier said:
Huang, Fundamental Forces of Nature
Schmitz, Particles Fields and Forces
I don't own either, but I clicked "surprise me" on Amazon. Both had pages of equations: partial derivatives in Huang.

You can't start in the middle and expect to learn anything. QFT builds on relativistic QM, and relativistic QM builds on QM. And they all build on the mathematics. Your best option is a popularization, so long as you understand that the goal of a popularization is not to teach you any physics.

Likes apostolosdt, PhDeezNutz and dextercioby
You don't need relativistic QM to learn relativistic QFT. I'd even say it's conceptually much better to jump directly from non-relativistic QM to QFT. Relativistic QM is conceptually very difficult and to a certain extent inconsistent. For fermions you end up with a heuristics known as the "Dirac sea" and the hole-theoretical formulation of QED, i.e., you assume to formulate a one-particle theory and then you are forced to reinterpret it as a many-body theory. Since today we know this already and can argue with the zillions of HEP experiments creating and destroying particles all the time, it's much more convenient to use right away the QFT formulation, which you need anyway.

Instead of bothering you with relativistic QM it's rather a good idea to use the time to learn the QFT formulation of non-relativistic QM to see that in this case it's an alternative equivalent description (although historically it's called "second quantization").

• Informative
Likes apostolosdt and Hamiltonian
Vanadium 50 said:
I don't own either, but I clicked "surprise me" on Amazon. Both had pages of equations: partial derivatives in Huang.
You were just (un)lucky, the books have a rather small number of equations.

Vanadium 50 said:
Your best option is a popularization, so long as you understand that the goal of a popularization is not to teach you any physics.
But popularization is not pure entertainment, it teaches something. How would you call this thing that popularization of physics teaches?

Likes Bandersnatch
PeroK said:
Whoever then has the effrontery to study physics while neglecting mathematics must know from the start that he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom.

Roger Bacon (1214-84)
I am just starting to teach myself math. I don’t have money for school so I’m teaching myself. I just want to know the facts of QFT for now before I’m done teaching myself math. I understant that particles and waves and forces are due to underlying excitations of these fields and that’s about it.
Do you know any good self teaching math books?

Likes PeroK
BadgerBadger92 said:
I am just starting to teach myself math. I don’t have money for school so I’m teaching myself. I just want to know the facts of QFT for now before I’m done teaching myself math. I understant that particles and waves and forces are due to underlying excitations of these fields and that’s about it.
Do you know any good self teaching math books?
There are a number of Internet-based options now, such as Khan Academy and others that you may have to subscribe to, such as brilliant.org.

There's also a website that covers the entire UK high-school mathematics syllabus:

https://www.examsolutions.net/

• Informative
Likes berkeman, vanhees71, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
If you're just starting to learn math, maybe Stewart's Calculus book suits you. You can also use it to elavate your computer screen or to barricade doors with.

• Haha
Likes paralleltransport, Falgun, Demystifier and 1 other person
haushofer said:
If you're just starting to learn math, maybe Stewart's Calculus book suits you. You can also use it to elavate your computer screen or to barricade doors with.
Stewart's calculus was how I learned calculus. Pretty good book I'd say.

Now if you just want to know QFT at a laymen perspective, Sean carroll has pretty good explanation of what it's about roughly, using only basic algebra on youtube.

If you want to be able to do QFT (like calculate) you'll need multivariable calc, diffEQ, linear algebra, complex integration. Anything less than that is hopeless.

Likes PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
Don't forget some group/Lie algebra representation theory!

vanhees71 said:
Don't forget some group/Lie algebra representation theory!
Absolutely agreed. I was referring to the absolute minimum. You're correct that a sophisticated understanding of QFT requires lie algebra and representation theory, however a lot of introductory QFT texts do not require it as a prerequisite. If your goal is to read weinberg or more sophisticated treatments, yes it helps a lot of understand how lie algebras work, which is treated somewhat in graduate level QM texts. The rest usually for most students is picked up as you go while learning QFT. For example, peskin, srednicki, and even weinberg all include sections that summarize lie algebra or representation of the lorentz group. The first time I learned about dynkin index and casimirs was from a QFT textbook.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
That's of course true. My favorite introductory QFT book is

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard
Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York
(2014).

Then you are very well prepared for Weinberg's 3 volumes and

A. Duncan, The conceptual framework of quantum field
theory, Oxford University Press, Oxford (2012).

which is an ideal complement to Weinberg's books.

Likes paralleltransport

1. What is Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory?

Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles and fields at a subatomic level without using complex mathematical equations. It focuses on the conceptual understanding of quantum phenomena rather than mathematical calculations.

2. How is Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory different from traditional Quantum Field Theory?

The main difference between Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory and traditional Quantum Field Theory is the approach used to study subatomic particles and fields. While traditional Quantum Field Theory relies heavily on mathematical equations and calculations, Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory focuses on conceptual understanding and intuitive explanations.

3. What are the benefits of studying Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory?

Studying Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory can help scientists and students develop a deeper understanding of quantum phenomena and their implications. It can also provide a more intuitive and conceptual approach to understanding complex concepts in physics.

4. Are there any recommended Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory books for beginners?

Yes, there are several recommended books for beginners in Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory, such as "The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone" by Kenneth Ford and "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell.

5. Can Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory be applied in real-world applications?

Yes, Non Mathematical Quantum Field Theory can be applied in various real-world applications, such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum information processing. It can also provide insights into the behavior of subatomic particles in particle accelerators and help in the development of new technologies.