Anyone using m.2 SSDs in Linux?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, the conversation discusses the functionality of m.2 hard drives in Linux, with the speaker questioning whether firmware updates require software that runs on Windows or Mac. The use of Samsung Magician Software is mentioned as a solution for performance optimization and data security, but the speaker expresses hesitation in running firmware updates on any storage medium with valuable data.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
I'd like to hear the experiences of any forum member who uses SSDs with the m.2 interface in Linux.
I'd assume that m.2 hard drives like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BN217QG/?tag=pfamazon01-20 work just like any other hard drive in Linux. However, the paragraph:

PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZATION AND DATA SECURITY: Seamless cloning and file transfers with Samsung Magician Software, the ideal SSD management solution for performance optimization and data security with automatic firmware updates

makes me wonder if firmware updates require software that runs on Windows or Mac. And how important would firmware updates be?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have a SSD (two actually) in one of my Linux machines. They work like regular disks except they appear as /dev/nvmeX rather than /dev/sdX.

I would not run a firmware update on any storage medium I had valuable data on.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is an m.2 SSD?

An m.2 SSD is a type of solid-state drive that uses the M.2 form factor, which is a small, rectangular circuit board. It is designed to be smaller and faster than traditional hard drives, making it a popular choice for laptops and other portable devices.

2. Is it possible to use an m.2 SSD in Linux?

Yes, it is possible to use an m.2 SSD in Linux. Most modern Linux operating systems have built-in support for m.2 SSDs, so you should have no trouble using one with your system.

3. How do I install an m.2 SSD in Linux?

The installation process for an m.2 SSD in Linux will vary depending on your specific distribution and hardware. However, in general, you will need to physically install the SSD into an available slot on your motherboard and then configure it using your system's BIOS or UEFI settings. You may also need to format the drive and create a new partition before you can use it.

4. Are there any special drivers or software needed to use an m.2 SSD in Linux?

In most cases, no special drivers or software are needed to use an m.2 SSD in Linux. As mentioned before, most modern Linux distributions have built-in support for these drives. However, you may need to install specific drivers or firmware updates if you encounter any compatibility issues.

5. What are the advantages of using an m.2 SSD in Linux?

There are several advantages to using an m.2 SSD in Linux. These drives are typically faster and more energy-efficient than traditional hard drives, which can lead to improved overall system performance. They also take up less physical space, making them ideal for use in compact devices.