Anyone Watch Fringe - Mysterious Equation

In summary, the conversation was about a character from the TV show Fringe solving a mysterious equation with the symbol of a zero, which could potentially have negative consequences. The equation in question was n(s)=\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{s-1}}{e^{x}+1}dx, which includes the Gamma function, an extension of the factorial function. The participants in the conversation were curious about why the equation appeared in the show and speculated that it may have something to do with the Riemann hypothesis or the zeta function. However, it was pointed out that the equation can never equal zero except for certain values of s.
erok81
So I was watching Fringe this morning and this came up. Then the character ominously solved it with a zero. I could solve the integral but there is a symbol that appears in the beginning that I am not familiar with. Plus, with the emphasis on him solving it with zero, maybe this is a famous equation and something bad happens when it equals zero. :rofl:

Here is the formula in question (the best I can see it anyway).

[tex]n(s)=\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{s-1}}{e^{x}+1}dx[/tex]

And here is a screen shot of his notepad. Which includes a few other things.

Attachments

• fringe.jpg
    fringe.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 481
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\Gamma (s) [/tex] is the Gamma function, which is an extension of the factorial function to the reals and complex numbers.

Wtf is the gamma function doing on fox?

pergradus said:
Wtf is the gamma function doing on fox?
Satisfying a recursion formula I suppose :uhh:

Sounds like they just picked something that looked cool. I was hoping for an actual something, but I guess not. :redface:

You can easily show that the equation cannot be 0 for any value of s, because the integrand is always non-zero. The only exception is for the poles of the gamma function (s=0, -1, -2...).

By the way, if e^x+1 were instead e^x-1, n(s) would be a definition of the Riemann zeta function. The previous line is R(s)>1/2, which makes me think this has something to do with the Riemann hypothesis.

It's probably supposed to be the zeta function.

1. What is the premise of the TV show Fringe?

The TV show Fringe follows a team of FBI agents, a mad scientist, and his son as they investigate strange and unexplained occurrences, often involving fringe science and alternate universes.

2. What is the mysterious equation in the show?

The mysterious equation in Fringe is known as "The Pattern" and is a series of interconnected events and incidents that are seemingly random but are actually connected and controlled by a shadowy organization.

3. Is "The Pattern" based on a real scientific concept or theory?

No, "The Pattern" is a fictional concept created for the show. However, it does draw inspiration from real scientific theories such as quantum entanglement and string theory.

4. How does the show incorporate real science into its storyline?

Fringe incorporates real science by using scientific concepts and theories as the basis for its plot and explaining the events in the show with scientific principles. The show also consults with real scientists to ensure accuracy and plausibility in its depictions of science.

5. Is Fringe a good show for fans of science fiction and mystery?

Yes, Fringe has been praised for its blend of science fiction and mystery elements. It explores complex scientific concepts in a thrilling and suspenseful way, making it a must-watch for fans of both genres.