Anyone with ATA memory I/F design experience?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the search for someone with experience designing interfaces using the PATA standard. The goal is to use an FPGA to control a memory device, specifically an 8Gb NANDrive with a built-in MCU. The conversation also touches on the potential transition from PATA to SATA memory devices and the need for more information and confirmation on the optimal path for development. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity of the project and the need for extensive knowledge and expertise.
jgrigo
I am trying to find someone who has some experience designing interfaces with a component built off the PATA standard. Preferably in a non disk drive/cabling interface, but more of a FPGA based interface control for the memory on same PCB -- granted any ATA interface experience could help answer some of my questions regarding if this is the optimal path, development issues, limitations, etc?

I want to use an FPGA to control this memory device which is an 8Gb NANDrive, PATA memory with built in MCU to translate host signals/commands/ and media wear leveling, etc.

The device I am looking at is http://www.greenliant.com/products/?inode=46308

I have read that SATA memory devices (serial vs parallel) will be taking over, but I assume (and hoping for confirmation on my assumption) this information was strictly referring to the PC based disk drive/cabling interface application since the serial uses less I/Os, but for other applications (recording streamed telemetry data), I would think there will always be a strong market for these PATA devices.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're having trouble getting an answer because the question is so big. A complete reply would be textbook size.

Sorry, but if you think a simple forum post will tell you how to do it, you are grossly underestimating the size of the project.

1. What is ATA memory I/F design experience?

ATA memory I/F design experience refers to the knowledge and experience in designing and implementing the interface between a computer's ATA (Advanced Technology Attachment) memory and the rest of the system. This includes understanding the ATA protocol, interface standards, and designing the physical and logical connections between the memory and other components.

2. Why is ATA memory I/F design important?

ATA memory I/F design is important because it is essential for the proper functioning of a computer system. The interface between the ATA memory and other components determines how data is transferred, stored, and accessed. A well-designed ATA memory I/F can improve system performance and reliability.

3. What skills are required for ATA memory I/F design?

ATA memory I/F design requires a combination of technical skills such as knowledge of computer architecture, digital electronics, and data transmission protocols. It also requires experience in designing and troubleshooting hardware and software components, as well as the ability to read and interpret technical specifications.

4. How can one gain ATA memory I/F design experience?

One can gain ATA memory I/F design experience through formal education in computer engineering or a related field, as well as through hands-on experience in designing and implementing computer systems. Working on projects and collaborating with experienced designers can also help develop ATA memory I/F design skills.

5. What are the current trends in ATA memory I/F design?

The current trend in ATA memory I/F design is towards faster and more efficient data transfer rates, as well as compatibility with newer storage technologies such as solid-state drives. There is also a focus on developing more compact and power-efficient designs to meet the demands of portable devices. Additionally, there is a growing emphasis on security and data protection in ATA memory I/F design.