Anything missing or redundant about this one-sided limit proof?

• Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Proof
In summary: Actually, it doesn't matter if the function is increasing or not. The error lies in assuming that for any ##\epsilon>0##, there exists a single value of ##\delta## that works for all ##x## in the interval ##(0, \delta)##. This is not true for all functions, as the counterexamples you mentioned (absolute value and square root functions) show.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Prove ##\lim{(x^{2/3})}## when ##x\rightarrow{0^{+}}## is 0
Relevant Equations
##\forall{\epsilon>0}##, find ##\delta>0## such that ##0<x<\delta\Rightarrow{|f(x)|<\epsilon}##
Hi, PF

In a Spanish math forum I got this proof of a right hand limit:

"For a generic ##\epsilon>0##, in case the inequality is met, we have the following: ##|x^{2/3}|<\epsilon\Rightarrow{|x|^{2/3}}\Rightarrow{|x|<\epsilon^{3/2}}##. Therein lies the condition. If ##x>0##, then ##|x|=x##; therefore, if the following holds: ##0<x<\epsilon^{3/2}\Rightarrow{|f(x)|<\epsilon}##, eventually, we can state: ##\forall{\epsilon>0}\;\exists{\delta>0}## s.t. ##0<x<\delta\Rightarrow{|f(x)|<\epsilon}##. In conclusion, the ##\delta## sought is epsilon elevated to three means, ##\delta=\epsilon^{3/2}##."

What is your opinion? It's right, yes, but... Something tells me it shall be improved.

Love

I'm going to click, no preview.🤞

Physics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
In conclusion, the δ sought is epsilon elevated to three means, δ=ϵ3/2."
Epsilon raised to the three-halves power. Since the purported limit is 0, it would be nice, but not essential to start with ##|x^{2/3} - 0| < \epsilon##, but that's a very minor nit. Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with the proof.

Likes mcastillo356
Proof of left handed limit for ##x^{3/2}##, when ##x\rightarrow{0^{-}}##

For a generic ##\epsilon>0##, in case the inequality mets (or inequation? Is it an algebraic inequality?), we have the following: ##|x^{2/3}|<\epsilon\Rightarrow{|x|^{2/3}< \epsilon}\Rightarrow{|x|<\epsilon^{3/2}}##. Therein lies the condition. If ##x<0##, then ##|x|=-x##; therefore, if the following holds: ##-\epsilon^{3/2}<x<0\Rightarrow{|f(x)|<\epsilon}##, eventually, we can state, ##\forall{\epsilon>0}\;\exists{\delta>0}## s.t. ##-\delta<x<0\Rightarrow{|f(x)|<\epsilon}##. In conclusion, the ##\delta## sought is epsilon raised to the three-halves power, ##\delta=\epsilon^{3/2}##.

Right?

Last edited by a moderator:
mcastillo356 said:

For a generic ##\epsilon>0##, in case the inequality mets (or inequation? Is it an algebraic inequality?), we have the following: ##|x^{2/3}|<\epsilon\Rightarrow{|x|^{2/3}< \epsilon}\Rightarrow{|x|<\epsilon^{3/2}}##. Therein lies the condition. If ##x<0##, then ##|x|=-x##; therefore, if the following holds: ##-\epsilon^{3/2}<x<0\Rightarrow{|f(x)|<\epsilon}##, eventually, we can state, ##\forall{\epsilon>0}\;\exists{\delta>0}## s.t. ##-\delta<x<0\Rightarrow{|f(x)|<\epsilon}##. In conclusion, the ##\delta## sought is epsilon raised to the three-halves power, ##\delta=\epsilon^{3/2}##.

Right?
No.
##x^{3/2}## isn't defined for x < 0 if you're limited to real output values.

Think about it -- if x = -0.1, say, then you have to evaluate either ##\sqrt{-.1^3}##, or ##(\sqrt{-.1})^3##, neither of which is real.

The reason for the right-hand limit of the first post is precisely because the function isn't defined for negative x, so the left-hand limit doesn't exist, either.

Likes mcastillo356
I disagree. We deal with absolute values

mcastillo356 said:

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

But seriously, what does this mean? Is your function actually ##|x|^{3/2}##?

Likes mcastillo356
mcastillo356 said:
That's not the limit you wrote in post #3:
mcastillo356 said:
Again, ##f(x) = x^{3/2}## is defined (as a real valued function) only for ##x \ge 0##.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
:doh:
I meant ##f(x)=x^{2/3}##

Sorry, I will try to mend it.

I think the proof is fine then.

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
Hi, PF

Mark44 said:
No.
##x^{3/2}## isn't defined for x < 0 if you're limited to real output values.

Think about it -- if x = -0.1, say, then you have to evaluate either ##\sqrt{-.1^3}##, or ##(\sqrt{-.1})^3##, neither of which is real.

The reason for the right-hand limit of the first post is precisely because the function isn't defined for negative x, so the left-hand limit doesn't exist, either.

##\lim{(x^{3/2})}## when ##x\rightarrow{0^{+}}## is ##0##

Proof

##\forall{\epsilon>0}\;\exists{\delta>0}## s.t. ##0<x<\delta\Rightarrow{|f(x)|<\epsilon}##

Pick a ##\delta=\epsilon^{2/3}##. This way, ##f(x)## can be as closer to ##0## as desired, getting ##x## close enough to ##0##, ##0<x<\delta=\epsilon^{2/3}##

This right hand limit equals ##f(0)=0##, but it will never be continous, as @Mark44 suggests, and the graph shows:

geogebra-export (3).png

Right? I've wrote not checking.

Last edited by a moderator:
mcastillo356 said:
Hi, PF
##\lim{(x^{3/2})}## when ##x\rightarrow{0^{+}}## is ##0##

Proof

##\forall{\epsilon>0}\;\exists{\delta>0}## s.t. ##0<x<\delta\Rightarrow{|f(x)|<\epsilon}##

Pick a ##\delta=\epsilon^{2/3}##. This way, ##f(x)## can be as closer to ##0## as desired, getting ##x## close enough to ##0##, ##0<x<\delta=\epsilon^{2/3}##
You should show explicitly how ##\delta=\epsilon^{2/3}## implies that ##|x^{3/2} - 0 | < \epsilon##.
mcastillo356 said:
This right hand limit equals ##f(0)=0##, but it will never be continous, as @Mark44 suggests, and the graph shows:
No, that's not what I suggested. The function ##f(x) = x^{3/2}## is continuous on its domain, ##[0, \infty)##, and is right-continuous at 0.
mcastillo356 said:
View attachment 294897

Right? I've wrote not checking.

Likes mcastillo356
Re reading this thread, I think there is actually a piece that is not spelled out specifically enough. As written, you can basically replace ##f(x)=x^{2/3}## with any invertible function, and it's not super obvious which step stops working. Do you know?

• Wow
Likes mcastillo356
Office_Shredder said:
Re reading this thread, I think there is actually a piece that is not spelled out specifically enough. As written, you can basically replace ##f(x)=x^{2/3}## with any invertible function, and it's not super obvious which step stops working. Do you know?
Sorry, can you explain further?

mcastillo356 said:
Sorry, can you explain further?

Let ##f## be an invertible function with ##f(0)=0##. Then for any ##\epsilon>0##, let ##\delta=f^{-1}(\epsilon)##. Then ##0<x< f^{-1}(\epsilon)## implies ##f(x)<\epsilon##. Hence ##\lim_{x\to 0^+} f(x)=0##.

Do you see the error in this proof for an arbitrary function? I just copied what you did for ##x^{2/3}##

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Let me see... It only works because it's fractional, even, and positive power function. No. Counterexample: absolute value function for real numbers; square root function. Haven't checked, give me some time

mcastillo356 said:
Let me see... It only works because it's fractional, even, and positive power function. No. Counterexample: absolute value function for real numbers; square root function. Haven't checked, give me some time

It might help to think of an invertible function ##f:[0,\infty) \to \mathbb{R}## which is *not* continuous at 0 (this is not super hard, but not a totally trivial thing to do)

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Office_Shredder said:
Let ##f## be an invertible function with ##f(0)=0##. Then for any ##\epsilon>0##, let ##\delta=f^{-1}(\epsilon)##. Then ##0<x< f^{-1}(\epsilon)## implies ##f(x)<\epsilon##. Hence ##\lim_{x\to 0^+} f(x)=0##.

Do you see the error in this proof for an arbitrary function? I just copied what you did for ##x^{2/3}##
But it is an increasing function. ##f(x)<\epsilon\;\forall{\epsilon>0}##:confused:

mcastillo356 said:
But it is an increasing function.
But you did not note the dependence on that in your proof, let alone prove it.

• Sad
Likes mcastillo356
haruspex said:
But you did not note the dependence on that in your proof, let alone prove it.
Incisive remark. Definitely, there was something missing. I'm working on it.

1. What is a one-sided limit?

A one-sided limit is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value from either the left or the right side. It is denoted by using a plus or minus sign, indicating whether the input is approaching from the positive or negative direction.

2. Why is this proof only considering one side of the limit?

This proof is only considering one side of the limit because it is specifically trying to prove the behavior of the function as the input approaches from that particular direction. This can be useful in certain situations, such as when dealing with functions that are not defined on both sides of the limit point.

3. What is the significance of the epsilon-delta definition in this proof?

The epsilon-delta definition is a rigorous mathematical way of defining a limit. It states that for any given small value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding small value of delta such that when the input is within delta units of the limit point, the output will be within epsilon units of the limit. This definition is important in proving the existence and behavior of limits.

4. Can this proof be extended to consider both sides of the limit?

Yes, this proof can be extended to consider both sides of the limit by using the two-sided limit definition. This would involve showing that the limit from both the left and right sides exists and is equal to the same value. However, in some cases, it may be more efficient or necessary to only consider one side of the limit.

5. What are the limitations of this proof?

This proof may have limitations depending on the specific function and limit being considered. It may not be applicable to more complex functions or limits, and there may be alternative methods that are more suitable. Additionally, this proof may not provide a complete understanding of the behavior of the function at the limit point, as it only considers one direction of approach.