Apache Web Server, how it works?

In summary, Apache Web Server is a free, open-source software that allows for the hosting of websites and web applications. It works by receiving requests from clients (such as web browsers), processing these requests, and delivering the corresponding web pages or resources back to the client. It uses a modular architecture, allowing for the addition of different modules to enhance its functionality. Apache Web Server is used by a majority of websites on the internet and is known for its reliability, security, and flexibility.
mishima
Hi, I have recently been using Apache for a web server. I would like to know more about how it works on a low level, what exactly it does. Perhaps a pseudocode, or minimal code version exists somewhere?

Likes harborsparrow
Computer science news on Phys.org
mishima said:
Hi, I have recently been using Apache for a web server. I would like to know more about how it works on a low level, what exactly it does. Perhaps a pseudocode, or minimal code version exists somewhere?

I didn't think that you can found such a thing anywhere, to be honest.
Apache is a large software complex and its functions just can't be described shortly with some pseudocode.

You can take a look at the apache docs where minimal apache internal structure is described.
Take a look here about some info about apache config and overall configuration too, may be it will help.

Likes harborsparrow
Basically it opens up port 80 (usually) and listens for connections. When it receives a connection, it forks the port and keeps the connection while it calls whatever program it's supposed to use to handle the request. It uses the conf.d files to determine what to do with what request.

Likes harborsparrow
Apache implments the HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 standards, so in order to understand what it's doing, you first need to understand those standards. Google them. They aren't easy to read at first, but if you continue plugging through them, you'll understand what web servers and web browsers are really doing. Very worthwhile and illuminating. I wouldn't recommend looking at Apache code unless you first understand the standards which it is implementing.

mishima said:
I would like to know more about how it works on a low level, what exactly it does

In order to get down there, begin at a high level meaning protocols, ports, requests, responses and the like, as has already being mentioned. If you like web development then you are on the right track. In order to get at its inner workings, you must first be an advanced programmer. And then, you'll focus on certain parts of code or modules, because the whole project is more than huge. It is very fascinating to get involved in this project some day and the same goes for the other Apache projects besides Apache Web Server, too.

Likes harborsparrow
Note the OP was way back last October. :oldwink:

Nevertheless... if your goal is more in the direction of learning about HTTP servers in general (Apache being merely the 600-pound gorilla in that field), it might be useful to start by studying a very stripped-down HTTP server instead of Apache with all its bells and whistles. Typing "tiny http server" into Google leads G's autocomplete function to suggest "tiny http server c", "tiny http server java", "tiny http server python", etc. Substitute whatever language you're familiar with and you might get something useful as a starting point.

I thought of trying this search because I remembered seeing in a Perl book years ago when I was learning Perl, a code example that was a "tiny HTTP server".

Likes harborsparrow and QuantumQuest
Apache is a jungle. You will need a few months to understand it. Good luck

Likes harborsparrow

1. How does Apache Web Server handle incoming requests?

Apache Web Server handles incoming requests by first listening for requests on a designated port. When a request is received, it is then passed to the Apache HTTP server process, which handles the request and generates a response. This response is then sent back to the client.

2. What is the role of a configuration file in Apache Web Server?

A configuration file in Apache Web Server is used to specify the server's settings, including the server's port number, document root directory, and other options. It allows administrators to customize the server's behavior and optimize its performance.

3. How does Apache Web Server handle concurrent connections?

Apache Web Server uses a process-based architecture to handle concurrent connections. Each request is assigned to a separate process, allowing multiple requests to be processed simultaneously. Apache also has a feature called "KeepAlive" which allows multiple requests to be sent over the same TCP connection, reducing the overhead of establishing new connections for each request.

4. How does Apache Web Server handle security?

Apache Web Server has several built-in security features, including support for SSL/TLS encryption, server-side authentication, and access control. It also has modules that can be used to further enhance security, such as mod_security for filtering and blocking malicious requests.

5. What are some common uses for Apache Web Server?

Apache Web Server is commonly used to host websites and web applications, as it is a reliable and stable server. It can also be used as a proxy server, load balancer, or a reverse proxy. Additionally, Apache is often used in conjunction with other web development tools, such as PHP, MySQL, and Perl.