Apparent Birghtness And Absolute Brightness

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of an Earth-sized planet transiting a star and blocking its light. The telescopes can detect very small changes in brightness, corresponding to a change in flux of 10^-18 w/m^2. The formula for absolute magnitude and luminosity are also provided for spectral classes O and A. To find the change in absolute magnitude, the flux of the star must be compared to the flux of the planet. The second part of the conversation discusses finding the maximum distance at which the planet can be detected, which involves using the formula M = m - log(d/10pc) and solving for the distance. It is also mentioned that the shift in log base e of the luminosity, due to the
Plutonium88
Question: Considering the effect of an Earth sized plaent transiting a star, and blocking its light. How big will the change in ABSOLUTE birghtness be for different stellar classs O and A, if we subtract off this blocked light.

telescopes can detect very small changes in brightness, corresponding to DetlaFlux = 10^-18 w/m^2. What is the max distance at which we could detect the planet transiting the star.

Data And Formulas:
M = m - 5log(d/10pc) where M is absolute Magnitude
L = 4PiR^2*F
m - m_x,0 = -2.5log(f/f_x,0) (where m is apparent magnitude)

For Spectral Class O: M = 3MassSun, R = 12RadiusSun , Temp = 42000K , AbsMag(M) = -6.7 , L = 36000LumSun Number Within 30 pc = 3

For Spectral Class A: M = 3 MassSun , R= 3RadiusSun , Temp = 10000K , AbsMag(M) = 0.7 , L = 40LumSun
#Within 30 Pc = 360

My Attempt:

So initially it's asking me to find, the change in Absolute magnitude. So i will find a second absolute magnitude M, which includes the blocked portion of the light. Then i will do the AbsMag - AbsmagnitudeFound..

I was thinking that i could express the flux as a difference of the Luminosity of the star, over the Area of the star, and subtract the Luminosity of the star divided by the Area of the planet.. IE:

Change In Flux = L/4PiR*^2 - L/4PiRe^2

With this i could then use the formula for apparent birghtness, m - m_x,0 = -2.5log(changeinflux/f_x,0).

THen with the apparent brightness,i could find the second absolute magnitude

M2 = m - 5log(3) (considering the distance as 30pc)

Which would then allow me to solve for the change in absolute magnitde..

However i am not sure what i should use for F_x,0 and m_x,0 in the apparent brightness equation, or if this strategy is even valid at all.For the second part of the question, i am assuming i will use m - m_x,0 = -2.5log(deltaflux/f_x,0) and then use the formula
M = m - log(d/10pc), and for each spectral class solve for the distance. Once again I'm not sure what to use for Fo. Could i just use the flux of the sun, and apparent brightness of the sun for this?

It might help you to realize that if a certain fraction of the star's light is blocked, that will shift both its absolute, and apparent, magnitude by the same fixed amount. That fixed shift if just the fraction blocked times a conversion factor that turns changes in log base e into magnitudes, because any small shift in log base e is just the fractional change in the thing itself. Thus if something blocks 1% of the star's light, then the shift in log base e of its luminosity (apparent or absolute, same either way) is -0.01. To turn that into the crazy magnitude unit, you merely have to multiply it by the conversion 2.3/2.5 and switch its sign (since the magnitude scale is backward). So if it blocks the fraction f of the star's light, and f is much less than 1, then the magnitude increases by 2.3*f/2.5. Whether or not you can see that depends on your instrument in difficult ways, you would need a lot of work to figure that out and it would depend very much on how stable is your photometry.

What is the difference between apparent brightness and absolute brightness?

Apparent brightness refers to the measure of how bright a celestial object appears to an observer on Earth. It is affected by factors such as distance and the object's intrinsic brightness. On the other hand, absolute brightness is a measure of how bright an object actually is, regardless of its distance from Earth.

How is apparent brightness measured?

Apparent brightness is measured using a unit called magnitude. The lower the magnitude, the brighter the object appears. For example, the Sun has an apparent magnitude of -26.74 while the full moon has an apparent magnitude of -12.74.

What is the difference between absolute magnitude and apparent magnitude?

Absolute magnitude is a measure of the intrinsic brightness of an object, independent of its distance from Earth. It is calculated by assuming that all objects are located at a standard distance of 10 parsecs (about 32.6 light years) from Earth. On the other hand, apparent magnitude is a measure of how bright an object appears from Earth and is affected by factors such as distance and atmospheric conditions.

How is absolute brightness calculated?

Absolute brightness is calculated using the object's apparent brightness and its distance from Earth. The formula for absolute magnitude is: M = m - 5(logd - 1), where M is the absolute magnitude, m is the apparent magnitude, and d is the distance in parsecs.

Why is it important to understand apparent brightness and absolute brightness?

Understanding apparent brightness and absolute brightness is crucial in astronomy as it allows us to compare the brightness of different objects and understand their intrinsic properties, such as their size and composition. It also helps us to determine the distance of celestial objects and study their evolution over time.